I like a nice spattering of humour on occasion, however the Joss Whedon style of humour which is I believe called "snarky" has never particularly struck me as very amusing, just somewhat infantile and lacking in wit. More of a fan of acerbic and nuanced comedy personally.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Actually there isn't necessarily need of a dichotomy between "serious tone" and some humor. Humor doesn't need to be specifically in the form of some cheesy comic relief.

It's entirely possible to have dialogues and situations that have a humorous/clever/ironic side while still being very dark/bloody/serious in general terms.

Breaking Bad comes to mind as an example, even if it's an entirely different setting.

EDIT:

This. It's a false dichotomy.

Damn, apparently I was very late with this.

Edited by Tuco Benedicto

I'm the only one who love Jan Jansen?

*makes note of the name 'merat' in his little black book of doom*

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Plus 1 on Easter Eggs...Plus...well how high can I go with Mony Python references. I enjoy serious tones in games but lets have some silliness along the way. I like cracking up while im gaming.

Nick B

"YOU HAVE DIED OF DYSENTERY" - Oregon Trail

the best laughs were with the dwarf "wannabe monk" in NWN2. just thinking about the conversations with him makes me laugh no matter how long its been since i played the game.

then they threw me out the window like a drunken hippogrif... magical it was!

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I love humor in my games. Even if it's an unintended consequence of my silly sense of humor rather than actual design.

For the intentional....for the type of game I'm envisioning inside my head, as long as it's not a constant slapstick spiel, I'm probably good with anything they'd think to insert. Little jokes, lines, attitudes, easter eggs. Things like that.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Humour is a very subjective thing. Some get a laugh out of slapstick, some get a laugh out of Monty Python (I'm one of them, but I don't really want MP references in my crpgs), some get a laugh out of the absurd and some just get a laugh out of somebodys mishap/accident/whatever. You are never going to please everybody. Some of my favourite "lol" moments from an Obsidian game is probably from Kotor2, which had some of the absurdity of MP (without being MP). Some of the dialogues from Nar Shaddaa made me startle myself when laughing out loud. I'm sort of hoping that is the style and tone of humour they are aiming for.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

...I knows where ya's can git a Bow o' Falling Cattle, if'n yer lookin' fer a laugh or two... ;)

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Don't know how many of you played Lionheart? I think that game might be a good example as to how a game feels like if you go to grim and dark without the little sunshine and happiness, it was just heavy to play through, supose it could have something to do withe music in it too ..

If I'll see a reference to Boo or Minsc in the game, I'll throw it out the window. How come they are the only feature of BGII which is ever mentioned when the game is brought up?

Please keep the game serious enough. It's hard to actually give a damn about what's happening in the game when 3\4 of dialogues is cracking jokes. I'm not always in mood for silly bull**** - as all people I think - so there should be a seperate path for when you want to be smart-mouthed and witty.