Would you guys prefer a more serious mature tone? Or would you like humor? Personally, I love humor, it makes me love the characters. Alistair from Dragon Age, EVERYONE from Borderlands 2, Boo, and many more make me enjoy the characters.

Now I know P:E won't be like Borderlands, but I would love those characters who make me laugh, and see the game from a sarcastic pricks side.

• Like 1

If I know Obsidian (and the ex-BIS members) there will be some humor in this game. Remember Boo/Minsc from Baldur's Gate 1? So yeh I expect them to follow a somewhat serious tone in the overall game but for the more adventerious types there will be "hidden" moments of humor.

Oh I don't know if they'll do this but a nice little easter egg they used to do is when you clicked on your characters they would give very strange dialogue. Often humorous and whimsical in nature.

Edited by Technatorium

Why would you ruin a perfectly bad, grimdark depression with humour??? :-

I wouldn't expect Minsc/Boo kind of jokes (they were written by the Bioware guys), but more akin to Kotor2 humour in style and tone.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Humor is awesome, but there can be an annoying amount of humor too so nothing extreme. A companion that say nothing but jokes all the time becomes a bore for me rather quickly, for example. There's a time and place for everything, including humor.

• Like 1

...I dunno if'n Morte should say "Hey", but a smartass be a must in e'ery good party... :w00t:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Humor is always good. Minsc and Boo were legendary. :)

It is always nice to have some humor in the game even if it is only a simple line of text, like a humorous response in the options you have to choose from while having a conversation. I always enjoy those. ^^

One of my favorites was in Baldur's Gate 2 though. I was looking for some guy (can't remember where or who it was) and only the servant was at home in this guy's home/tower. The servant had an extremely heavy English dialect, and the writers phonetically transfered it to text. So instead of saying "Sir" the text said "Sah", stuff like that. And he was a real stingy ass on top of it. I loled so hard, it was fantastic! :)

Good time, good times

Edited by dlux

:closed:

http://www.vg247.com/2012/09/21/project_eternity_kickstarter_obsidian_entertainment_interview/

Fair play. Well going back to NPC reactions, how deeply will morality enter into plot progression? Just how dark are you looking to go with the narrative?

Dark’s a little boring to me, and it’s also too easy to fall down that hole in storytelling in an attempt to be pseudo-hardcore. Some of our strongest releases kept the dark on the backburner and cloaked it within a blanket of humor, and people responded to both.

• Like 3
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

There's a saying here, "only when someone has laughed with you, will that someone cry with you". IDK if there's an English equivalent, but yes for humor.

Would Morte have been such a tragic character if he wasn't so effing funny?

A mature tone doesn't automatically exclude humor! I certainly don't think mature people are all dour, unsmiling folks who only see the world in grimdark grey and realistic brown! Quite the contrary, in fact....

• Like 3

Sword Sharpener of the Obsidian Order

(will also handle pitchforks and other sharp things)

Humour is good. You need positive emotions in any tale to contrast with the depressing stuff - it empowers both.

Just don't break immersion by joking about something no one would in real life. Not everything needs to be a joke.

Humour is good. You need positive emotions in any tale to contrast with the depressing stuff - it empowers both.

Just don't break immersion by joking about something no one would in real life. Not everything needs to be a joke.

Yes, this. Timing is everything and I find that this is where a lot of games kind of falter. I also have been replaying Neverwinter Nights 2 recently, and I just wanted to say that the humor in that game seems to stem mostly from... everyone hating each other and arguing, which I find a bit uncompelling when the only tone that accompanies it is a humorous one. I think the humor needs to be spread around a bit. I love the witty Alistair companion too but the same old back and forth with Morrigan is only funny for so long to me before I want some other part of the game to make me laugh as well. I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this way?

The question isn't Humor: yes or no..

But rather - what type and how much.

Easter eggs? Refferences? Puns? Double-meanings?

I hereby request Monty Ptyhon and WH40K easter eggs.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I wouldn't mind humor. In fact, I'd love it. Especially if we can get someone with some gallows humor (My preferred form of it).

But the key thing to humor, whether it's in a game, a movie, you're on a stage in front of an audience, or just chilling out with your family, is.... Delivery.

Which, considering who is making this game, I imagine they will be very good about making proper delivery when the humorous bits pop up.

Do you like hardcore realistic survival simulations? Take a gander at this.

I always welcome humor especially in a dark fantasy setting. Actually one of the most fun parts of DA2 was when you chose the lighthearted dialogue options.

However it's a question of good writing. No matter the setting, no matter the idea behind the plot, you need some variety. In in RPG games which have a lot of content you need A LOT of variety. So humor at some point becomes a must :)

Red Mage of the Obsidian Order

www.cherrytreestudio.eu

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

Red Mage, Episode 835: Refining Moment