Why I'm not entirely happy with update #8...

The novella more than anything, had me leaping for the new Digital Only tier. Some years ago, Chris Avellone characterisation and storytelling, more than anything, made me a Black Isle/Obsidian fan in the first place. Seeing the Obsidian guys let loose on an RPG title free of Publisher impositions is great. But seeing Mr. Avellone let loose on an RPG story, free of the constraints of game design itself - that I can't wait to see!

David Gaider is an excellent crpg writer. He is a mediocre prose novelist.

Drew Karpyshn is a mediocre crpg writer. He writes trashy novels.

Chris Avellone is a "legendary" crpg writer. He is a talented cartoonist. Will that translate well to prose?

I'm hopeful.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Agreed. I've never read any of his works but I'm really glad I decided to pledge $140 now.

Anyone have any suggestions for his previous works? Does he have books that I could buy?

Play Planescape: Torment.

Or read his Fallout Bibles or Planescape Torment design document. Both freely available on the Internet.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Chris Avellone is a "legendary" crpg writer. He is a talented cartoonist. Will that translate well to prose?

I'm hopeful.

I'm familiar with some/most of the novels by David Gaider and Drew Karpyshyn and for the most part I've been pretty happy with both which is quite the thing for me to say because I am incapable of finishing a novel unless it captivates and I tend to be quite insanely picky. Although Drew REALLY screwed the pooch with the Revan novel....he should have retired from gaming before writing that novel instead of after. It would have saved his reputation. Still it's a matter of taste I suppose.

As for the novel at hand here I have no doubt it'll be amazing and I am very glad to see that it is happening....also can't wait to read it.... :p

Edited by Darth Trethon
  • Like 1

1zq6793.jpg

I'm hopeful.

I'm familiar with some/most of the novels by David Gaider and Drew Karpyshyn and for the most part I've been pretty happy with both which is quite the thing for me to say because I am incapable of finishing a novel unless it captivates and I tend to be quite insanely picky. Although Drew REALLY screwed the pooch with the Revan novel....he should have retired from gaming before writing that novel instead of after. It would have saved his reputation. Still it's a matter of taste I suppose.

As for the novel at hand here I have no doubt it'll be amazing and I am very glad to see that it is happening....also can't wait to read it.... :p

Yeah, I unabashedly enjoyed all David Gaider's novels and all the Mass Effect novels from Drew Karpyshyn. I'm thrilled and cannot wait to see what Chris Avellone writes.

Hating is so easy, and bashing stuff is so insipid.

• Like 1

I hope they recognize the need for a good editor. Even the best writers need one.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I generally like Gaider's work. I really do. I've interacted with him numerous times in the Bio and old Interplay boards. I like the stuff he's written in BG2, Kotor, DA, and parts of NWN, HOTU.

But his novels are...mediocre. That's not an indictment. I read them, and enjoyed them for what they are. I think for a professional writer, he is an average prose novelist.

Drew Karpyshyn is another story. His books are really the only ones I've even entertained the thought of requesting a refund for. They are laugh out loud funny in the least flatering way. I'll stand by my comment and tell it to his face.

Do I want to go into detail why I think his books are bad? No, not really. But they are amateurish, rushed, have poor pacing, cheesy dialogue beyond belief, and have the worst attributes of poor fan-fiction. Worst part is, I'm ashamed to say I've read better fan fiction of his own material. He is a hack. Call me insipid.

All you have to do Mr Avellone is take all the factors that make Mass Effect: Deception what it is and do the absolute opposite, then you can not fail.

Joking aside, the last novella's I read for a computer game that I really enjoyed was also the first, The Lords of Midnight trilogy, I still read them to this day. It will be good to see such a concept employed with this game, I hope it is released just before the game goes live.

What is it you guys dont like about Drew Karpyshyn's writing ?

I have myself only read the Darth Bane Trilogy, and found it a immensely good read.

Havent read any of his other works.

Elaborate please :)

I never had a problem with his writing though the books were only average, the novel I dislike was written by William C. Dietz. Even Bioware fans hate that book.

• Like 1

I have myself only read the Darth Bane Trilogy, and found it a immensely good read.

Elaborate please :)

That trilogy is the main Karpyshyn thing I have read. I found it mediocre at best. I don't remember what I disliked about it specially, but I do remember the main plots being quite dumb, except those main plots copied from elsewhere.

SODOFF Steam group.

I generally like Gaider's work. I really do. I've interacted with him numerous times in the Bio and old Interplay boards. I like the stuff he's written in BG2, Kotor, DA, and parts of NWN, HOTU.

But his novels are...mediocre. That's not an indictment. I read them, and enjoyed them for what they are. I think for a professional writer, he is an average prose novelist.

I would describe him as inexperienced and improving. So far, yes, his novel portfolio is inferior to his game portfolio, but it is my opinion that Asunder is better in almost every way that The Stolen Throne or The Calling.

• Like 1

God used to be my co-pilot, but then we crashed in the Andes and I had to eat him.

Do not, under any circumstances, read his BG2 novelisation.

God used to be my co-pilot, but then we crashed in the Andes and I had to eat him.