Update #8: New Digital Tier, Novella by Chris Avellone, and Translations at $2.2M

I found the artist's pictures rather interesting. Those of the monster and the bird were fantastic and very imaginative in my opinion. The others I saw tended to be photographic. Completely different styles. Obsidian should turn her loose on the monsters.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Very old time gamer here (started 27yrs ago, now get off my lawn :p ). I got wind of this game today checked the page and what do I see on top? Linux! OK, pledged $35. Then the news of the novella came. :yes: Now I am in for $50 cos it's a must have.

Edited by chx
  • Like 1

I read some people here being against localization because it is often bad, dumb, awkward and kills the original jokes...

But have you actually thought about the very simple fact that this localization is precisely planned for people who just can't understand jokes and subtilities of the original language ? It's no use for them to have original text if they just can't read it or understand all.

Being a "purist" is ok (i am one sometimes), but you don't have to be selfish too... Localization is not for purist. It's for people who will only understand or fully appreciate the game in french/german/spanish. It's just as simple as that...

Translations may be crapy sometimes, it's a fact. But it can be very good too, it's also a fact (french text of Planescape Torment is a delight, for example). And anyway, this is for people who need this, as is said earlier...

• Like 5

Backer of : Dead State, Grim Dawn, Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland 2.

Les jeux sont faits, rien ne va plus !

I read some people here being against localization because it is often bad, dumb, awkward and kills the original jokes...

But have you actually thought about the very simple fact that this localization is precisely planned for people who just can't understand jokes and subtilities of the original language ? It's no use for them to have original text if they just can't read it or understand all.

I agree, and i would add that we're talking about a rpg game, wich means a lot of text; PE it's not a simracing or a puzzle game, which are also playable with a basic understanding of the language.

• Like 1

Bandit of the Obsidian Order
image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100
animaliacustici.tumblr.com

I found the artist's pictures rather interesting. Those of the monster and the bird were fantastic and very imaginative in my opinion. The others I saw tended to be photographic. Completely different styles. Obsidian should turn her loose on the monsters.

What pictures are you referring to? Did I miss something? I only saw the Edair one.

Translating names is the cancer of translation. This should not be done under any circumstances.

what a bull****... you know what's the cancer of translations? inconsistent and bad translations! imagine that the npc from the concept art is named Edair Whiterun and in the german version he's called Edair Weißlauf, which would be a proper translation. now they simply have to stay with this name, given that the npc will appear within the sequels, and NOBODY would be offended or even notice this. btw it's completely optional! if you don't like the translation, simply switch to english -.-

a song of ice and fire is an example of a horribly ****ed up translation because they changed everything midway through. now the names of people and places are totally different then previously. as opposed to this the lord of the rings, the witcher and the reinmar von bielau trilogy are stellar translations. everything is in context and the phonetic language is spot-on. regarding this the old interplay/bis products never sounded weird.

the localizations are there to make the game more accessible and this correlates with the financial success of project eternity. if you could discard your selfishness for just a second you would notice it.

Edited by Gorth
Circumventing language filter
  • Like 3

French translation? Excellent initiative. This'll permit me to explain this game to fellow gamer friends of mine who can't read english.

I cant understand why people are so elitist. The more people can play and understand the game, the better. It'll help to get a bigger fan pool for future games.

And besides, elitism is full of crap. Because we can read english doesn't mean we are the only ones allowed to enjoy the game.

• Like 3

If it's going on GoG (owned by CD project), then I would I actually be surprised if there wasn't a Polish translation.

GOG has most games in English only. It's not really a service directed to Polish gamers.

Being a "purist" is ok (i am one sometimes), but you don't have to be selfish too... Localization is not for purist. It's for people who will only understand or fully appreciate the game in french/german/spanish. It's just as simple as that...

Translations may be crapy sometimes, it's a fact. But it can be very good too, it's also a fact (french text of Planescape Torment is a delight, for example). And anyway, this is for people who need this, as is said earlier...

I wholeheartedly agree! Besides, there have been many excellent localizations, some of which are even considered to be bettrer than the original. Example: Polish version of Baldur's Gate II. I play most games produced in the US in English, but BG II is an exception. I simply prefer the Polish version. It's better.

As far as translating names is concerned, I confirm that this:

Translating names is the cancer of translation. This should not be done under any circumstances.

is nonsense. There are many rules that apply to translating names, but none of them says "never translate, no matter what". The first thing you must take into consideration is the author's guidelines. J.R.R. Tolkien e.g. used to give very specific guidelines as far as translation of the names in his works was concerned. They are available here for example. Those who claim to know so much about translating might want to take a look :)

Edited by norolim
  • Like 5

Even as I personaly only play games in English the translations delight me because my German friends have been apprehensive of backing the project without a German translation. And I can't fault them for it. The game is going to be big and story driven with many, many pages of dialoges. If reading the language takes you twice as long and you missunderstand some things the gaming expericence will be far less enjoyable. There are games where the translation doesn't matter much - those are multiplayer-games with a mostly English speaking community and few in-game texts, like Team Fortress 2 or LoL.

But this is a story-driven RPG - if you can't get the story there's no point in playing at all.

Now please add a pay-pal (or something similar) option for those parts of the world that dislike credit cards (I'm talking about Germany). Just do it and watch the pledges rolling in.

• Like 1

Now please add a pay-pal (or something similar) option for those parts of the world that dislike credit cards (I'm talking about Germany). Just do it and watch the pledges rolling in.

feargus stated in the faq that paypal will be available as of october 3rd. guess this will be announced with one of the big updates later.

Edited by Semper
  • Like 3

Just as a slight digression, would very much like to know whose signature is at the bottom of Edair's drawing. Would be really cool if possible to have the artist come on here and maybe give us an explanation of the inspiration and significance of the character, his armour, equipment etc.

The artist is Polina Hristova, and you can check out her other stuff here.

Here is the source of who the artist is and were to find more of her art.

nakia_banner.jpg

The character concept looks great. I never really expected that they would use some outrageous stylized art or over sized weapons and ridiculous armor but it is good to see that confirmed. I hope the rest of the game is as 'toned down' as this.

• Like 2

Personally I would feel insulted if they translated the game into my native language.

Do you also feel insulted when they translate Japanese games into English?

Why should he be insulted? None of those are his native language.

You didn't get my point.

Many people understand English and so they don't "need" a different translation. Somehow this often means they hate translations (because so many things are lost in translation and stuff) and don't accept that there are people who don't speak English. On the other hand these people have no problem if e.g. a Japanese game gets translated, because they don't speak Japanese. So all these guys saying "Only the original version is the true version! Death to all translations!" are nearly always hypocrites.

• Like 1

Another point you need to remember is that the Kickstarter money is going to make the game. It is not after development profit. The game still needs to sell X number of copies on release for it to be considered a success. With projects that are funded in house or by publishers there is a budget and the hope that sales will recoup costs and bring profit to make the next project bigger and better.

Most of us who have pledged on Kickstarter are only paying for the game to be made, more people need to buy on release for the game to be profitable for Obsidian, which we will want. They could continue to fund a new project via Kickstarter but I'm sure they would love to have the independence to fund a project or multiple projects themselves.

My point is that translations allow the game to be sold to a much broader audience who perhaps have no english at all. It is not a waste of resources, it is sound logic looking to the future, never mind the fact that non-english speaking rpg fans deserve good games.

• Like 3

Where is the Italian? The games are usually translated into Multi 3 (English, French and German) or Multi 5 (English, Fracese, German, Italian and Spanish). I understand the greater importance of German and French, but because there is Spanish and not Italian? I hope that with 2.3 to 2.4 million will be possible to have this language. :)

• Like 1

Dea Mortis, iuravi, Carissimam servaturum, Dea Mortis, servabo, ut tempora recte ducam

Steam: Ryuuzaaki | PSN: x_-Ryuzaki-_x | Live: Yorudoragon | Wii: 1179 5373 5105 2010 | BattleTag: Ryuzaki#2821

Remember this is a USA company located on the North American continent which connects with Central America and South America. What other languages are spoken in the Americas besides English? Spanish and Portuguese. Hmm where is the Portuguese translation?

Edited by Nakia

nakia_banner.jpg

I really enjoyed the FO:NV novel which Chris penned so I look forward to the Novella. Also: Translations is good, everyone should have an opportunity to experience Project Eternity good to see it as a stretch goal. Eager to see what the stretch goals to 3.0 million are. Surely it can't be MORE regions and NPCs. (Not that I'd object)

Include pirates in a stretch goal. An underwater civilization ala BG II? The mega dungeon some were discussing. Make sure they have an outstanding Quality Control department team. I am still suffering from seven patches that didn't really patch a game.

Edited by Nakia

nakia_banner.jpg