Update #8: New Digital Tier, Novella by Chris Avellone, and Translations at $2.2M

I think the thing is that folks should simply respect that every stretch won't necessarily have something that appeals to you directly, but each stretch does add to the game in one way or another and that those things added together may create something greater than the sum of its parts. ...And, if you want something different, advocate for it. The way I look at it is that I'll pester for what I want, but I'll let the matter drop once the design team makes a steadfast and considered decision.

Yes. Liking this wasn't enough... it deserved to be quoted.

• Like 1

I have to admit that I'm sooo looking forward to this kickstarter being finished. I wish I could say because I want them to start the actual development. I wish I could say I want them to secure the funding they need. I wish I could say it means we're closer to the end product. Sadly, while all of that would definitely be true, the most vexing thing is that I've become engrossed in the damned kickstarter and I'm either checking in here and the kickstarter site, or I'm somewhere wishing I could be here or the kickstarter site. I never thought of myself as more of a loser than right now. :Cant's sheepish grin icon:

EDIT: Thanks Merin. :D

Edited by Cantousent
  • Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'm not a native english speaker, but i've been playing games in english for more than 20 years. Almost everything i know about english, i learned playing games, so, i'm really fine with this language, even in a heavy text game like this one. Honestly, i prefer the original language because not all words can be well translated, some words sounds strange when translated. But it wont hurt some extra languages.

Talking about the game races, why some people talks like if the game should be made only for them? I don't like unusual races, whenever i can choose, i don't play with those races. I prefer much more the classic ones (humans, elfs, dwarfs, etc). So, let the game have both types, everyone will be happy.

See a rope, but the guy 's missing a 10' foot pole.

Without much surprise, art is going down to earth, almost LoTR style with an AD&D twist. Good choice in a world of a media where WoW dictated the crappy giant pauldrons style for years, it's refreshing.

Edited by Shadenuat

If it gets more people to become interested in the game I'm all for it. There are still more things added at that level so it's still a big bonus to the game. I can't wait to see what other goals they hope to achieve. Finally a game I can get excited about. Thanks Obsidian!

Corrections in Bold.

Haha, that's what I get for being up late and writing while tired. I meant Obsidian of course.

Am I the only one who gets a bit of an Eddard Stark vibe from 'Edair'?

Sort of yeah.

http://i190.photobuc...l/ned-stark.jpg

so hard to do a google search and find a non Sean Bean picture now ~_~ (not dissing him, but I do like some of the pre TV show art)

Edited by Sensuki

Am I the only one who gets a bit of an Eddard Stark vibe from 'Edair'?

Missed your comment before, yeah you're not alone. My Sean Bean comment was a reference to Eddard :)

Is it just me or does Edair look really bored? Sort of like he's thinking "uh... can I go yet? No? Okay. :("

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Also by all that is holy in this world. When you do the localizations. Don't. Just don't. Translate the names of places, people etc etc to the other language. More often than not it's totally cheesy (play German Skyrim. I have to keep myself from laughing when I see the translated names).

Since the English speaking crowd here probably won't understand what I mean. Let's take for example badly localized Chinese movies where characters all of a sudden are called "Gentle Could" and "Flying Water" or **** like that. Kinda like translating Hebrew names and instead of calling someone Michael they'd translate it to "Who is like God?"

"Hey Who-Is-Like-God? come over here."

Edited by The Dark One Avoozl
  • Like 9

Also by all that is holy in this world. When you do the localizations. Don't. Just don't. Translate the names of places, people etc etc to the other language. More often than not it's totally cheesy (play German Skyrim. I have to keep myself from laughing when I see the translated names).

Since the English speaking crowd here probably won't understand what I mean. Let's take for example badly localized Chinese movies where characters all of a sudden are called "Gentle Could" and "Flying Water" or **** like that. Kinda like translating Hebrew names and instead of calling someone Michael they'd translate it to "Who is like God?"

"Hey Who-Is-Like-God? come over here."

I laughed out loud when I read this. Wonderful example of localizations.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

It will never be translated into my language and in any case I'm more comfortable with English, but I'm very happy that it's getting translated. More revenue sources for Obsidian! RPGs usually have longer legs in Europe than in the US, so this is a good thing.

The stretch goals which appeal to me directly happened a long time ago. Now, I'm simply wishing for stretch goals that will mean the best deal for Obsidian.

I also like how normal Edair is looking....and updates from MCA YESH.

Edited by Monkcrab

Sword Sharpener of the Obsidian Order

(will also handle pitchforks and other sharp things)

I don't know. A few things jumped out at me. First of all, the sensible looking gear. I think that purse on his right hip might flop around a bit. I took Tae Kwon Do way the hell back in time and then fencing later. I prefer not to have crap swinging around while I'm moving. Seocond of all, like a lot of folks have said, he's got a whip in his shield hand, and it is strapped to his arm. Third of all, he doens't have on full plate. He's wearing relatively light armor except for maybe a chain shirt. I know there will be heavy armor in the game, but this first example of a human fighter isn't wearing full plated armor so much as a breastplate from what I can tell. I'm a little diminished in capacity right now, but that's what strikes me right now.

Obsidian Plays

Oh, I never added how excited I am that Edair looks nothing like, say, Hawke. With cartoony armor and anime weapons. Praise the gods of Eternity for that!

I even hate the name Hawke. It's like the people that made DA:O were fired and replaced by the Toys-R-Us marketing staff.

On topic: I hope we get to see what the next stretch goal is soon!

Edited by Chunkyman
  • Like 2

Edair poses a new interesting stretch goal proposition--

$3 million and Edair will be the suave sword/buckler\whip-wielding homosexual pirate who wins over players hearts and minds by communicating mostly in iambic pentameter and who you first meet when he captures you-- you must use your none combat skills to persuade sneak, tumble, and search for hidden walls to his heart or be sold in the markets of a port city!

Obsidian, you know you want to.

• Like 1

CORSAIR, n. A politician of the seas. ~The Devil's Dictionary

I'm glad to see some international localization; English is my main language but not my first (lost my first :(), and opening new markets is a good idea.

Interesting human fighter guy in the sense that his armour is so normal. :)

And now I will thow a tiny prayer...

please no boob plate, please no boob plate, please no boob plate, please no boob plate, please no boob plate

;)

Boob plate? The guy has a whip that’s something to be excited about. Or just maybe hopeful about ether way he has a whip. Whip it, whip it good type whip. I wonder how many times I can type whip in a post today and still be on the subject of the post…

Cowboys.com is now a gay dating site…GreenBayPackers.com is something we shall never discuss again…EVER.

Shakespeare said: Play to those who get it. Don’t dumb it down “to split the ears of the groundlings.”

Groundlings: The lowest common denominator.