Update #8: New Digital Tier, Novella by Chris Avellone, and Translations at $2.2M

No very interesting. I'm a Spanish language speaker and for me the translation is a waste of resources. It's like movies the original language always is better.

If the translations were for fully voiced dialogue (which thankfully isn't going to be in the game), i'd agree with you. I've played some games where English isn't the original language, and the voice acting has been terrible. Gothic being one example.

But text translations? I really don't see why the translated versions can't be just as good as original English version of a game that mostly contains written dialogue.

• Like 6

No very interesting. I'm a Spanish language speaker and for me the translation is a waste of resources. It's like movies the original language always is better.

Some people are missing three key points about localization here.

Because this is a stretch goal, that means the translations will pay for themselves, and they're only in addition to the substantial content already slated for that level. There is no waste.

TEXT translation. This means the game is essentially subtitled and spoken in English, which saves a lot of money compared to translated VA work, as mentioned by others. I prefer my video in the original language with English subtitles as well.

Oh, and the third: Once those other non-English speaking players hear of this, of course more of them wil be backers, which is a good thing all around.

Edited by Ieo
  • Like 5

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Very happy to see localization. I only speak English and I know I can get away with that in most countries. For this very reason however, I do not begrudge anyone who does not want to experience EVERYTHING in the English language. Accessibility is great, and I know I would be so pissed if a game as awesome as this one was only available in a language I could not speak very well (say spanish, which I have only an intermediate understanding of). I really don't see why anyone should have a problem with this.

Also, as much as I would like to see more from the more exotic races/classes I assumed they would be saving those for much later to build excitement. However, as far as the good old human fighter can be anything other than expected I was pleasantly surprised to see how solidly awesome he looked (I love the look of the armor).

• Like 2

Well I suppose the haters and xenophobes will be raging because they decided to localize the game to 3 other languages...

Got nothing to do with xenophobia, Its just a waste of resources that could be spend on making the game bigger and/or better. Ofcourse incase it doesnt take alot of money to translate it, its not a problem. But considering the amount of people affected by the translations compared to the people who would be affected by more content, would be better to spend the money in that direction.

• Like 1

Is he holding a whip in his shield hand? That's pretty awesome, can't say I've ever seen that before. I think translations are great, Obsidian has alot of Euro fans and text translations of the game into lots of languages isn't too much to ask to please the fans worldwide. Plus it'll only help with donations.

All's I can think when seeing Edair is, "here's someone who could really use a bottle or two of wine."

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'm not a 'hater' or a 'xenophobe' but do have to admit that language translations isn't quite as compelling of a stretch goal as the updates made it sound like it would be. I guess I got myself hyped up thinking it would be something like a toolset for community-made content.

• Like 1

Well I suppose the haters and xenophobes will be raging because they decided to localize the game to 3 other languages...

Got nothing to do with xenophobia, Its just a waste of resources that could be spend on making the game bigger and/or better. Ofcourse incase it doesnt take alot of money to translate it, its not a problem. But considering the amount of people affected by the translations compared to the people who would be affected by more content, would be better to spend the money in that direction.

Its a waste of resources to YOU.

1. text translations do not cost that much.

2. to anyone who does not have great English text translations are HUGE.

3. rpg's have atleast as large a fanbase in europe as in the US if not more. yeah plenty of people speak english, but I am sure (based on cries for them on this very board) there are plenty of people that need them that still wish to play the game.

Just because something does not appeal to you does not make it a waste of time.

• Like 11

I think the thing is that folks should simply respect that every stretch won't necessarily have something that appeals to you directly, but each stretch does add to the game in one way or another and that those things added together may create something greater than the sum of its parts. ...And, if you want something different, advocate for it. The way I look at it is that I'll pester for what I want, but I'll let the matter drop once the design team makes a steadfast and considered decision.

• Like 9

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'm not a 'hater' or a 'xenophobe' but do have to admit that language translations isn't quite as compelling of a stretch goal as the updates made it sound like it would be. I guess I got myself hyped up thinking it would be something like a toolset for community-made content.

From a marketing perspective, the timing was a little off, IMO: The announcement for the 2.2 replacement should have been done at the same time as announcing the Linux decision.

I suspect, from the practical standpoint, that Obsidian was probably trying to hammer down specific details for the localization so they couldn't announce the Linux 2.2 replacement until those preparations were in place.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I don't know the spanish market, but this game won't sell in France if not properly translated : no translation, no money, it's as simple as that.

• Like 2

Got nothing to do with xenophobia, Its just a waste of resources

The Statement that resources spent in making the game more accesible to people from other countries are wasted is Xenophobic and offesive. Specially when a big ammount of backers are europeans. I can handle myself fine, but many players could really use subtitles, like when you go see a movie that's not on your native language, for example.

Edited by Chaz
  • Like 6

As already said the pledges raised by the translations will pay for the translations. We are not talking voice acting but text. I played a demo of a Chinese game that had Chinese VAing and English text. I was about to pre order it when they came out with a demo that had voice over in English and Chinese script. I didn't get the game.

Ed Air does remind me of someone but I can't think who. Who ever he looks great. A major character? Good is that a tattered cloak I see? Wonderful.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Loving the art! Going to use it to try and get some more of my Internet buddies interested into backing the game.

Can't wait to see how much is funded due to the promise of localization so hopefully these new backers will hasten our progress to the 2.2 million mark. I want to see what is at 2.4 million and beyond.

Edited by AzureWatcher

This is fantastic news and I am really happy that European gamers will also get to enjoy the game.

You know, there ARE other countries in the world besides the United States.

The Witcher was made by a Polish company.

Drakensang and Gothic were made by a German companies.

And I wouldn't have been able to play any of them if the developers had decided not translate them into English.

• Like 3