3D or hand painted graphics

Hi,

I'm a bit confused regarding the recent Kickstarter updates. As based on the initial project introduction video I assumed the Project Ethernity will use hand made painting for backgrounds and characters (like in Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc..) and not the nowdays so common 3D. But meanwhile the Unity engine become chosen, which is a 3D engine.

So I would like to ask will it be a 2D game (like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series) or 3D ?

As if it become 3D I immediately remove my Kickstarter pledge, as there are plenty of 3D games on the market and I would not spend any cent for additional one :-(

ps.: this question is not about the viewpoint of the camera (ex.: isometric)

I remember reading somewhere reading that the camera would also be fixed (like in the IE-games). So there wouldn't bee too much benefit in using 3D for background elements.

Also the enginge won't deadlock wther the game will be mostly 2D or 3D.

But Hand-painted 2D gets my vote though.

ObsidianOrder_Viking_125px.png

Our backgrounds will be pre-rendered from high-detail 3D scenes and then touched up by hand as in the Infinity Engine games. Our characters and certain other objects (where it makes sense) will be rendered in 3D. Temple of Elemental Evil uses this type of combination.

Thank you for the very quick confirmation! :)

Edited by domjant

Awesome :) . Even If I know it will take quite a while, I can't wait to see the first in-game shot (guess I'm in good company :p)

Edited by Lucas

"The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance" - Wing Commander IV

Our backgrounds will be pre-rendered from high-detail 3D scenes and then touched up by hand as in the Infinity Engine games. Our characters and certain other objects (where it makes sense) will be rendered in 3D. Temple of Elemental Evil uses this type of combination.

Morbo is pleased :wub:

ToEE :wub:

Edited by hideo kuze

I hope you're thinking about the future this time around and keep higher-res assets and the likes safe for some re-release or optionally render at higher resolutions to start with and have the option in the game, so people on their 4K displays (3840 x 2160) and higher can still play the games the same way 10 years from now xD Apple's already getting close with their "Retina Displays".

It's always a lot easier to scale something down, than trying to add detail where there is none :p

Edited by D3xter
  • Like 3

I wonder if sacrificing a chicken in a pentagram will assist in recreating the look and feel of Icewind Dale? :)

Although to be honest, I found the art direction of PS:T stunning too.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein