Item Durability  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want items to have durability?

• Yes
    • No
    • I do not care
  2. 2. Should you be able to repair any item anywhere?

• Yes
    • No, only at a blacksmith's forge
    • No, only at a blacksmith's forge or a special place for magical items
    • I do not care
  3. 3. Should magical items be included in a separate category when it comes to durability or repair?

• Yes to both
    • Yes, but only when it comes to durability. Magical items should be unbrakeable
    • Yes, but only when it comes to repair. Not every blacksmith should be able to repair a magical item.
    • No to both
    • I am not sure
    • I do not care

Edges going dull and armor getting dented, such that I have to remember to visit a blacksmith and click 'repair all' every so often to restore full bonuses, is a nice touch. Items actually breaking is just annoying, unless they are junk / ancient / improvised weapons. Having to individually repair every item is pointless interface busywork when 90% of the time the player wants all of their items sharpened / fixed etc.

Edited by Starglider

I like repairing stuff in a post-apocalyptic setting or with old equipment, as it really adds to the atmosphere imo. But otherwise I'd rather not have to deal with it, and since PE probably isn't post-apocalyptia, I'd rather have no item repairing for typical items.

I would be against anything that forces periodic maintenance of equipement, especially a diablo-like durability mechanic. This can make sense in a combat-focused, one-character action rpg, not with several characters, a complex magical system, and well fleshed-out non-combat elements. Of all Infinity Engine and Neverwinter Nights games, only Baldur's Gate 1 had the concept of equipement that could break, and that was done to drive a critical story point home (the iron contamination), was limited to non-magical melee weapons which the player soon replaced with magical ones, and then again it didn't force to player to periodically go repair his items, only to carry around some extra swords just in case.

Edited by Zeckul

In principle yeah, but in a party of six it'd just be micromanagement and god awful hassle. So no.

At first I was going to vote yes, but then I read this and though, it's true. If it was just your PC's weapons you had to worry about, it might be okay. But having to manage the weapons for six characters would become quite the chore, IMO.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

What do you think of item durability? None of the cRPG's had it, as far as I know. They had limited arrows or sling bullets, which made everything feel realistic, but all items were indestructible? Should it stay the same for Project Eternity?

I would vastly prefer not to have a repair system or a charges system like the Elder Scrolls games, particularly since having SIX CHARACTERS with the kind of gear woes you get on just your ONE character would catapult this from a minor annoyance to the level of total insanity.

Now, here's the weird thing--I actually kind of liked gear repairing in Fallout 3 because it had a gameplay benefit--you could reduce the number of identical copies of X you were carrying by using one to repair another. The fixed one would be worth more, so you didn't lose as much cash as you would if you just dumped the item on the ground when you got overloaded. (Granted, if you were the type who would willingly shuttle back and forth to the store or storage container 15 times, you could make more money that way, but if you weren't, it was a neat mechanic.) However, the system could also be kind of annoying if you found a unique or unusual item that was difficult to repair.

If they decide they want to do a mechanic like this, I don't want it to be a numerical durability system. Instead, I'd prefer it work more like this:

1. It only applies to weapons and armor.

2. It's tied to either the critical hit system or special "sunder" or "dispel" type abilities that work equally on characters and monsters.

3. Instead of taking durability damage, weapons and armor can get conditions like "torn" or "dented" or "dispelled" or "cursed" that change the way the bonuses of the item apply.

4. Most of these conditions are removed automatically when you rest.

5. Some specific conditions may require you to take the item to a particular location/person or use a special ability to restore them.

• Like 1

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

Arcanum did item durability very well. Things didn't break down from normal use, but you would have specific events that would cause them to lose durability. Attacking a creature made out of rock, critically missing, etc. Most items had plenty of durability points, so it was never a chore, but it was something you had to keep in mind. So I would like that.

I also voted that you need a "blacksmith's forge" to repair items, but that might be a bit overkill. Maybe some kind of mobile workbench with limited repairing capabilities could be in the game.

Finally, I voted yes to both for magic items. I think it would be cool if magic items fell into 3 categories, unbreakable (think forged in Mount Doom type of item), normal item with enchantment on it (so you could repair this at a normal blacksmith, but it has some magic effect added to it), and magically forged items (so you would need a wizard to magically fix them).

Now, here's the weird thing--I actually kind of liked gear repairing in Fallout 3 because it had a gameplay benefit--you could reduce the number of identical copies of X you were carrying by using one to repair another. The fixed one would be worth more, so you didn't lose as much cash as you would if you just dumped the item on the ground when you got overloaded. (Granted, if you were the type who would willingly shuttle back and forth to the store or storage container 15 times, you could make more money that way, but if you weren't, it was a neat mechanic.) However, the system could also be kind of annoying if you found a unique or unusual item that was difficult to repair.

Actually I agree on this point. That was a sweet system. It however may have fit better thematically into a world where factories are no longer running and salvage is a way of life. The ability to tinker would become very important if you had any hope of being able to use old technology for a prolonged period.

here's the weird thing--I actually kind of liked gear repairing in Fallout 3 because it had a gameplay benefit--you could reduce the number of identical copies of X you were carrying by using one to repair another. The fixed one would be worth more, so you didn't lose as much cash as you would if you just dumped the item on the ground when you got overloaded.

Yeah, it was cool in FO3, even better in New Vegas with weapon repair kits (which you could make from other junk items).

And there it was thematically appropriate, surviving in the wasteland, living off the trash of wealthier times.

And, to re-emphasize you only needed to look after your own and a friends stuff.

If Eternity was going to be a similar thing, all good items rare or belonging in the past, maybe set on some remote cut off location...

Then I guess I'd probably be more open to it. But I don't think that's going to be the case. Might be a cool setting for a sequel.

As I said, in theory it's all cool, I'd like to buy an old battered mail shirt and make do with it for awhile, repair when essential,

carry a more durable backup mace in case the old axe splits. Float in air with joy when finding a good quality steel sword.

But maybe only with one companion? Then reach wealth of quality items halfway the game, valyrian steel.

I think items should have a durability and can be breakable. I also agree that such items can only be repaired at a blacksmith, and no, not magical items. I believe magical items should be treated as such, some crude blacksmith can not possibly deal with magic. Maybe certain, famous or experienced blacksmiths can.

Speaking of blacksmiths.. Maybe it is interesting to note that blacksmiths, I believe, should have different sets and levels of skill in the making of items. I think it is preposterous blacksmiths can make every item every other blacksmith can make as well. A small town's blacksmith can maybe make some simple leather and mail items, a castle's blacksmith can make gorgeous pieces out of rare steel and heated with the fire of a dragon, and an elven blacksmith, for example, uses ancient techniques that harbours epic magic.

- Keldorn

Edited by Keldorn

I liked how BG did it with mundane weapons, but obviously that method can't be employed again without being a copy cat. I wouldn't mind, perhaps, weapons becoming damaged over time and losing some effectiveness if not repaired, but I wouldn't be for the breaking of them except for simple weapons that you can get anywhere.

I like idea that weapons can broke down in middle of battle. An also like idea that unkempt weapons get rusty or otherwise weaken, which increase their change to broke down and lowers their damage. But I don't like idea that I must micromanager that my party keep their weapons in good condition. So if durability system is added to game then I would like if my party keep their weapons in good condition automaticaly given that they carry soapstones, oils, ect. items that they can use to that task. And if your weapon brokes in middle of battle by bad luck, then you must go to weapon smith, bowyer or some else who has skill to repair your weapon.

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 1

i like lots of different systems in my rpgs, but durability is one i have always hated. unless the game takes place over a span of months or years, i just dont think it should be an issue.

i dont have a problem with basic non-magic gear getting destroyed by certain spells or abilities, but i dont want to have to worry about repairing my sword after every three or four combat encounters of normal use.

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

you can maybe have your melee weapon broken when you hit an ice giant or a crystal monster (a la arcanum). then you have to repair it. but still...a lot of hassle with a party of six.

NO to durability and broken items.

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

I like idea that weapons can broke down in middle of battle. An also like idea that unkempt weapons get rusty or otherwise weaken, which increase their change to broke down and lowers their damage. But I don't like idea that I must micromanager that my party keep their weapons in good condition. So if durability system is added to game then I would like if my party keep their weapons in good condition automaticaly given that they carry soapstones, oils, ect. items that they can use to that task. And if your weapon brokes in middle of battle by bad luck, then you must go to weapon smith, bowyer or some else who has skill to repair your weapon.

Can be easily implemented.

Let's say you have 5 different stages of damage to the weapon.

The first two stages are auto-fixable by your party when they come back to town. You don't spend money, it's done automaticly. Wether or not these two stages should affect weapon performance is questionable...probably not

The second two need a blacksmith to restore full functionality. The last one is weapon broke and it has to be re-forged.

Now, how it could work - off he top of my head - is ... let's say that with every hit of a weapon there is a 1/500 chance the weapon will be damaged by 1 stage.

If your weapon is already damaged, the chance doubles.

If the enemy uses a lot heavier weapon or posses monstrous strength, then blocking/parrying also increases the damage chance (dodging does not) and also makes it possible to do more than 1 stage of damage

So you won't have to run to town every 5 seconds and the weapons won't be loosing effectiveness every 5 seconds.

So you can easily go trough the game without ever breaking a weapon. OR it can break 5 times during the game.

Of course, by playing smart you can reduce the chances of that happening dramaticly, but the Random Number God is fickle, just like in real life.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I also want items breaking because it adds to strategic considerations - just like provisions.

My sword broke! Do I have a spare? No? Bob do you have a spare? Can I borrow yours? Do we go back to town? Do we push forward?

We're half way to the ancient temple and have already spent half of our provisions. Do we backtrack to the village we passed a day ago or push foward? Should we conserve rations or just endure a day or two without food? But what if we get jumped on the way back, weakened by hunger?

All valid strategic considerations. I dont' wnat hand-holding, I want to SUFFER for bad and stupid decisions.

And before someone sez "do you want to simulate taking a piss"? - nope. It's not a strategic consideration as you can do it in every bush or room corner if necessary.

• Like 2

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!