Yea

People have romances, characters hould be able to have romances. Being a PC shouldn't mean automatically being a monk.

You can easily have sex without romances being involved. You can also have romances without sex being involved. I think the latter is where most of Obsidian's past coverage of the subject has gone (with the possible exception of NWN2 with the tacky Elf stalker "romance", which felt completely out of place).

While i loved Nwn 2 and mask of the betrayer even more, the romance options were , well.. terrible. Only Gann was decent. Stalker Elf, Self-righteous Paladin and Baldy Bald Wizard not so much... did i mention the wizard was bald? Very frigid too but mostly BALD.

Nothing wrong with bald women. :)

I think, reading through a good bit of the thread that one worry that comes up is the idea of the "tail wagging the dog" that romances are suddenly the most important thing in the game. I think also this ties into a problem with many recent romances in RPGs where pretty much saying "hi" to a romanceable companion starts the romance.

I don't think this is the right way to go about it. If they're going to include romances with companions, I think it should be something that the player has to consciously start (or, if initiated by the NPC has to be after a number of conditions are met - not just adding them to the party like pretty much all of the romances in DA2).

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

That is called "projecting your fears" and nto paying attention, thus condeming a character beforehand.

First of all she (Elaniee or something like that, wasn't it?) had a job to watch over you. She was your guardian. So keepign an eye on you was her job. And doing it from the shadows to not cause problems is purely logical.

Secondly, just because she looked at the PC while he was sleeping occasionaly doesn't make it creepy. You have some strange mental image of her spending hours just staring at you like a cannibal.

Newsflash for you - people do it all the time. And they do it out out of love or because someone/something is eandearing.

Mothers look at their childern when they sleep.

Lovers often take a minute just looking at their significant other sleeping and feeling glad they are there.

Heck, people can even watch a puppy sleep and go "aaaaaaw...so cute".

It ain't creepy. It's only creepy because you choose to see it as that. The problem is you.

:wacko:

If someone for watches you sleep from outside your window, they have problems. That is not going to a sweet and loving place, that's the type that murders their rivals, breaks in and does nasty things to you.

Eh? Sez who? Who gave you a PHD and the right to judge everyone?

You saying she was supposed to break into your house? How is that better?

Seriously, you keep projecting sinister motivations onto her that aren't there...probably because of the "creepy stalker" image so popular in the media.

• Like 2

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Well, try doing that in the real world and see how well that works out for you.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm all for romances in the PE, good relationships always help to strengthen the connection a player feels with a game, and romances are a natural part of that.

Maybe. But it's not a necessity. I felt an extremely strong connection to the characters, events and world of Fallout: New Vegas, especially in the DLC's, and that was due to the amazing stories and great C&C in the game. It didn't have any romances. Unless you count Fisto...

Besides, on a baser level, sex sells.

And yet there are plenty of games that sell well enough without making T&A one of their selling points. It's not necessary -- not for sales, not for creating a stronger connection between the player and the game and certainly not for overall story quality.

If they do choose to write a romance subplot I will be fine with that and I trust them to present it in a graceful and elegant way, like in MotB, but I wouldn't want them to sacrifice any other features just for the sake of including romance options.

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

I just can't agree with this at all, I guess. I have never understood the Anders... controversy, I guess. I don't see what people dislike about having the freedom to pursue whom you want, especially when all romanceable characters are objects defined by their sexuality; at least I get to choose which one I want regardless of my sexual orientation? There is nothing more frustrating than finding out that a developer had no desire to implement something so harmless and engaging for a large minority of players.

The problem was that Anders was changed. He had almost no connection to the Anders from the earleir game. There was NOTHING to indicate anders was anything otehr than straight.

So to not only change his character but also personality - it was see by many as betrayl.

If the devs want ot give the "masses" a gay/bi character so be it. But they could have made a new character, not buther an old one.

Not that it affected me, I hate Anders.

I do, however, prefer each character to have their own sexuality. Largely because it just feels more...plausible I guess. Its not really a huge issue for me in the long run though. Again, my biggest issue is just that they turn characters, no matter what their sexuality, into strictly sexual objects in their romances. I find this offensive for both straights and gays, men and women.

Agreed.

EDIT:

ME3 was bad from the begining. HORRIBLE begining. Why are people only so obsessed about the ending?

I think because the ending (original) ended up killing some LI's and it was an OUTRAGE!!!

Edited by TrashMan

I just can't agree with this at all, I guess. I have never understood the Anders... controversy, I guess. I don't see what people dislike about having the freedom to pursue whom you want, especially when all romanceable characters are objects defined by their sexuality; at least I get to choose which one I want regardless of my sexual orientation? There is nothing more frustrating than finding out that a developer had no desire to implement something so harmless and engaging for a large minority of players.

The problem was that Anders was changed. He had almost no connection to the Anders from the earleir game. There was NOTHING to indicate anders was anything otehr than straight.

So to not only change his character but also personality - it was see by many as betrayl.

If the devs want ot give the "masses" a gay/bi character so be it. But they could have made a new character, not buther an old one.

Not that it affected me, I hate Anders.

Eh, Anders was changed by taking on the Justice spirit so I took all of the changes in the character to be because he really *wasn't* the same person anymore.

Still hated him, though.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Well, try doing that in the real world and see how well that works out for you.

Failed example.

If I was a bodyguard of a hot chick, you don't think I would occasionaly take a look?

That doesn't make me creepy, it makes me normal.

As I said - she was ordered to watch over you AND stay out of sight. So the only way to keep an eye on you was trough the window.

I realize you may visalize it as her standing like a statue, wide-eyed and glued to he window glass breathing heavily...but that isn't the only way, now is it?

Imagine an elf on the tree, sitting on a branch, bow in hand, watching over his sleeping charge. Occasionly he would cease scaning the forest edge and take a loving look at the woman behind him, making sure she's safe.

Now the second image...does it sound creepy to you?

How is that a failed example, heh. And you'd be a poor bodyguard, have to be detached and all. It's not outlandish to find it creepy that someone that "watched" you while you're sleeping and have no clue what they're doing. Although I suppose this depends on if they've broached it with you.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Question: why is it that people demand more maturity out of the plotlines (romantic or otherwise) for Project Eternity and in the same breath attack Bioware and its community?

Bioware's community is frightening and immature. Have you seen BSN in the last few years?

Still there. Depends on what threads you read, whom you've friended, and what sub-forums you regularly visit.

People constantly attacking BSN here remind me of all the small town people I grew up with and their reactions when my family moved to Chicago. "What, do you want to get shot?" Because, as we all know, the millions of people who live in Chicago all get shot... that's truly a defining feature of Chicago.

Romance discussions are a small subset of BSN. People acting in the "gimme what I want OR ELSE" fashion are an even smaller part of that discussion.

Damning thousands for the activity of a dozen seems pretty, I don't know what term I should use... uhm, opportunisitc?

• Like 1

I've never played Mass Effect and no virtually nothing about it except that the main dude is called Shephard who communicated via a crude dialogue wheel and was able to have Sex With Aliens. In Haiku format can someone please explain the contentious ending to the series that caused so much wailing and gnashing of teeth?

sonsofgygax.JPG

Are we still dicussing romaces?

Will someone from the dev team please, please comment on the issue already before the BSN hive mind mentality assimilates us all into one droning mass of romance...romance....

• Like 2

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I've never played Mass Effect and no virtually nothing about it except that the main dude is called Shephard who communicated via a crude dialogue wheel and was able to have Sex With Aliens. In Haiku format can someone please explain the contentious ending to the series that caused so much wailing and gnashing of teeth?

Just read the thread in C&C, I think there's enough on that. I guess there was the series boiling down to three options, things didn't seem to matter much re: the ending, space magic and the bizarreness with the Normandy crashing.

I tell you, just make romance a stretch goal. Might as well extort the people :D

Edited by Malcador

Hey, Romance Fans, what do you think about these NPCs?

* Relationship Sage: When things aren't *quite* right between you and your love interest, you can pay 100gp at the Relationship Sage and the NPC will kiss you chastely. Per 100gp multiplier things get steamier.

* Relationship Herbalist: When you end up romancing two or more members of your party, you might end up with... a rash. The herbalist charges 100gp to make everything better again.

* Divorce Cleric: So you got caught in the brothel. Again. And it's all over. The game will take 75% of your treasure (if you are a male character) so your NPC lover can spend it all on tennis lessons, therapy and shoes. Plus, go and get herself a richer boyfriend too. If you are a female character you can fleece as many male NPCs as you like until there are none left.

Come on, romance has choice and consequence. You cant have it all your own way.

• Like 3

sonsofgygax.JPG

I like this thread. I am camping on it. Can someone please explain here? Pretty please?

Color coded for your (in)convenience since they're basically the same ****, make nearly 0 sense, invalidate every choice made in the entire trilogy and are unlocked in relation with a completely stupid feature probably aimed at forcing you to play multyplayer so as not to grind like a buffon. Also basically ripped of the endings of Deus Ex.

edit: I didn't play the supposedly end-fixing DLC since it's highway robbery even it's free and also very inteligence insulting.

Edited by Scryer
  • Like 1

I tell you, just make romance a stretch goal.

At $8.5 million minimum.

Edited by Undecaf
  • Like 1

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Because, as we all know, the millions of people who live in Chicago all get shot... that's truly a defining feature of Chicago.

More people are shot and killed in Chicago on a weekly basis than in Afghanistan. Sad fact.

Romance discussions are a small subset of BSN. People acting in the "gimme what I want OR ELSE" fashion are an even smaller part of that discussion.

Damning thousands for the activity of a dozen seems pretty, I don't know what term I should use... uhm, opportunisitc?

And yet even after Feargus Urquhart said:

If we listened to everyone, it would be a Japanese turn-based dating sim with insect people.

in a recent radio interview, romances are still being discussed.

You really like defending BSN, heh.

And you really like snide comments.

What I don't like are disengenuous arguments using faulty logic and a lack of facts. And I don't like straight up poisoning the well.

Whether someone posts on the BSN forum doesn't invalidate any point they make.

All the BSN bashing is a distraction and an attempt to be dismissive of anyone who does want romance in the game. There's a handful of bullies on this thread who seek to brow-beat and belittle anyone they disagree with into silence so they can get their way.

It isn't going to work. Ignore is a wonderful tool.

• Like 4

Yea

People have romances, characters hould be able to have romances. Being a PC shouldn't mean automatically being a monk.

You can easily have sex without romances being involved. You can also have romances without sex being involved. I think the latter is where most of Obsidian's past coverage of the subject has gone (with the possible exception of NWN2 with the tacky Elf stalker "romance", which felt completely out of place).

While i loved Nwn 2 and mask of the betrayer even more, the romance options were , well.. terrible. Only Gann was decent. Stalker Elf, Self-righteous Paladin and Baldy Bald Wizard not so much... did i mention the wizard was bald? Very frigid too but mostly BALD.

You failed to see the point of this romance if you stopped at her baldness.

I know, im terrible.