The BSN is probably one of the most disgustingly pathetic places on the internet, .

Come now thats a bit dramatic and exaggerated? BSN also has thousands of people who don't talk about Romance\Sex and contribute constructively towards threads

It's a common slur. I won't hide that I've been a member of the BSN for years (since DA:O more or less forced you to join) but I will point out that the people I've friended over there and the conversations and threads I pay attention to almost never have anything to do with romance.

There's quite the Project Eternity support over there, and some not-so-gentle rubbing-in-the-face of Eternity's success so far to BioWare.

Mock the people who say BioWare can do no wrong ever all you want - apologists fo that extreme devotion can do with a little ribbing.

I know I'm biting back snide comments at all the Planescape: Torment worship, too. :p

But the BSN is dramatic and exaggerated. The only they're contributing towards over there is decline.

Here are some very active threads over there as well, to counter someone else's cherry picking -

Top 5 things you would like to see in DA3 Inquisition ? (yes, there are people clamoring for romance stuff in here - and many more who's lists don't mention it)

Remove conversation icons (strong dislike of paraphrasing is a common complaint amongst many members)

Dragon Age III Multiplayer (disdain for inclusion of multi-player is a common complaint amongst many members)

Alternative to the Day One DLC Model (BioWare forum goers dislike Day One DLC as much as anyone)

What class of character do you plan to play in DA3? (just a discussion on which classes people expect to play in DA3)

What could Loghain's role be in Dragon Age 3? (controversial thread as Loghain has many "haters" - though, personally, I love to hate him so...)

Put more effort in the ending(s), please (there's no shortage of disappointed (or worse) fans to DA2 and ME3 on BSN)

Dynamic Quests (Example- The DAO Quest "Captured!") (this thread is about asking for more quests like the mentioned one, which was GREAT)

There. And instead of going three pages deep, those are all page one DA3 conversations.

You could also jump over to BioWare General, where it's Off Topic board, alone, has more threads and posts than all of Obsidian's forums combined. And, you know, good luck finding threads about romance in games in Off Topic.

Seriously - there IS a lot more to BSN than whining for more romances. Do you find more of it there than other forums? Sure, because BioWare games have more romance than most other game companies. But it's a small percentage of what is discussed.

I completely agree, you have posted the facts around why BSN is not just a depraved group of Romance/Sex fans who have nothing else to discuss. Also there are several topics around games like BG and NWN1&2 where you can get advice on the game and modding. Its just a silly generalization to write off the entire forum, and I am also an unashamed member of BSN.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I say 'no' on this one. While I can enjoy a romance here and there, it simply degenerates into an endless pit of complaints for not supplying every matrix of companions possible. Just look at where DA2 went and what those forums look like now. There are so many other places where I would prefer the developers to invest their time.

Mostly as a joke*, I want to suggest that the game gets two characters with romance arcs: one male, one female, both gay.

Seriously, though, I'm a sucker for Obsidian-style character interaction, as well as romance subplots... so yay.

*I'm all for gay romances, but I really don't have any desire to deprive straight-playing people of their arcs either.

Edited by JediMB

Something stirs within...

The BSN is probably one of the most disgustingly pathetic places on the internet, .

Come now thats a bit dramatic and exaggerated?

No.

No to this and negative to romance inclusion unless it is akin to BG2 and nothing in the Bio-verse.

By the way Twinkie,

My avator, Amos, says 'game on' to your avatar . . .

Death gaze commencing in 3, 2, 1 . . . .

Nay.

Better things to spend resources on.

with the possible exception of NWN2 with the tacky Elf stalker "romance", which felt completely out of place.

I was expecting her to kill the PC if he rejected her. If anyone told me they watched me sleep from outside my window.....

Both of you are weird.

Oh man, someone looked at you. KILL HIM!! KILL HIM NOW!!!

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

The BSN is probably one of the most disgustingly pathetic places on the internet, would hate to see this forum go that way.

I just checked it and boy, you'e not kidding! The first three pages of the DA3 forum contain thread topics such as:

• Dear Bioware, I want a Qunari woman in my bed.
  • Click to hug / Click to kiss ?
  • The F/F Romance thread: what do you want to see in the female love interest(s) for DA3's female protagonist?
  • Female Kossith for companion and LI
  • Different bodies different undergarments!!!!!!
  • Cullen as a M/M romance?
  • F/M romance Thread
  • [suggestion] Romance without the Romance.
  • Cassandra's too Manly to be a Companion..
  • Weddings?

I really, REALLY don't want that to happen over here. :D

Yeah several of those people are already over here talking about how they should have romances in this game. It's a joke. There's nothing that justifies that kind of retardation from the BSN.

Edited by Grimlorn

Not really romances are they, more like an erotic dialogue based mini games with perhaps some reputation system on top of it. If they're included I want them to be presented as superficial as they are. Even better, include them as fan service in future DLC after reading fanfic for a few months. That's while not perfect I liked the relationships with Elanee (possessive stalker), Neeshka (needy insecure), Heather (under the influence blood bag), and Morrigan (whose liking for you correlates to how much stuff you do for her).

If RPGs were to treat romance as seriously as the movies I watch and books I read, they could probably only include one per game, and it would be explored through the main plot. I don't really care whether straight, gay, or whatever. Advertisements have started using these relationship stories told in a series of events, sometimes over long periods of time, that are really devoid of content and want people to project a lot, they make me want to throw up (something similar happened at the end of the Olympic opening ceremony), this the way Bioware games make me feel, especially when characters go into "love mode" (also funny when they fall in and out of it because the dialogue tree isn't great).

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

But still there is reason why Romeo and Juliet is still refered one of the best romantic stories, even that nobody there is no sex and everybody dies in end.

Y'know, the older I get the more I suspect that R&J was merely Shakespeare COMPLETELY taking the piss out of the Tristan and Isolde story. Couple of tweenies think they're in everlasting love and then kill themselves out of complete moronic stupidity. Given Macbeth and Othello I just can't take him treating R&J with any actual seriousness. Edited by ravenshrike

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

If RPGs were to treat romance as seriously as the movies I watch and books I read, they could probably only include one per game, and it would be explored through the main plot.

If you want a completely fixed, static experience go play a JRPG. In western-style RPGs player choice is a vital element and forcing the protagonist to have a pre-set relationship with one NPC eliminates that.

Personally in a fantasy RPG I prefer fantastic relationships, with exotic partners or circumstances that you'd never get in real life. I get enough exposure to standard human relationships from all the other media and indeed everyday life.

Just here to say "Yay" just in case someone thouth that I had changed my mind since the last thread. Not bothering as to explain why because for saying "Yay", apparently and automatically I must be some kind of BSN fanboy, unable to have social interactions with other people (specifically related to tender feelings as love), a freak, a dictator trying to force my prefereces to Obsidian and the other usual stuff implied by some people. :)

• Like 3

What I want, and what I haven't seen much mention of, is the assumed arbitrary limitation of romances to companions. Why does this need to be the case? As a supporter of romances of all kinds, it worries me how it will work given the small number of companions available in this game. Is there a reason why you can't have any kind of relationship (friendship, rivalry, romance or otherwise) with any of the other NPCs you come across in the game? Not all of them need to be fully defined arcs, just some recognition on the level of 'Hey, I remember that guy/girl! They saved me from bandits the other day. All their drinks are on me!'

The same could be true for romances. Where are the flings? The one night stands? The adventurer with a girl in every town? These kinds of things don't need much characterization or voiceovers.

And for a more long lasting relationship: Why not the haughty princess? The lonely tavern owner? The widower militia captain? The travelling merchant? Just because they don't put their lives on hold to save the world with you doesn't mean they can't be interesting characters.

Edited by Kilroy_Was_Here

If RPGs were to treat romance as seriously as the movies I watch and books I read, they could probably only include one per game, and it would be explored through the main plot.

If you want a completely fixed, static experience go play a JRPG. In western-style RPGs player choice is a vital element and forcing the protagonist to have a pre-set relationship with one NPC eliminates that.

Personally in a fantasy RPG I prefer fantastic relationships, with exotic partners or circumstances that you'd never get in real life. I get enough exposure to standard human relationships from all the other media and indeed everyday life.

Not forcing anyone to have a pre-set relationships, you can of course choose not to engage with that. Western RPGs are full of pre-set plots, it only seems to be in the last decade and mostly in Bioware games where there just has to be a sex bot available for every kind of orientation.

Not forcing anyone to have a pre-set relationships, you can of course choose not to engage with that. Western RPGs are full of pre-set plots, it only seems to be in the last decade and mostly in Bioware games where there just has to be a sex bot available for every kind of orientation.

Yes, because simply implementing the most popular choice (white male protagonist / white female love interest) is highly discriminatory.

Nay.

Better things to spend resources on.

with the possible exception of NWN2 with the tacky Elf stalker "romance", which felt completely out of place.

I was expecting her to kill the PC if he rejected her. If anyone told me they watched me sleep from outside my window.....

Both of you are weird.

Oh man, someone looked at you. KILL HIM!! KILL HIM NOW!!!

It's more like this:

Oh man, someone has been looking at me sleeping for the past 20 years, unseen. Kill him now before he makes a funny hat out of my scalp.

Say no to popamole!

Yes, because simply implementing the most popular choice (white male protagonist / white female love interest) is highly discriminatory.

That's asinine. It's discriminatory on the basis of popularity. You don't have the right to have your preferences and opinions catered for, that's up to the developer, it's not discrimination to not have your wants satiated, mine have never been in any BioWare game. I don't even care what the colours or orientations are, roll a die, whatever it is that BioWare does, it's not just more options, it's completely shallow and pathetic.

• Like 1

If its BG2 sytle romances where character stories, personalities, histories and well, emotions are explored and SEX isn't the be all end all and your partner reverts back to "who are you again?" mode, YES.

If is the more recent "lets get naked and on!" before the night of battle. bang slam, who are you again?" types of romances. No.

I must be some kind of BSN fanboy, unable to have social interactions with other people (specifically related to tender feelings as love), a freak, a dictator trying to force my prefereces to Obsidian and the other usual stuff implied by some people.

Thank you. It would be nice if everybody in this thread gave such a disclaimer.

I'm surprised nobody in all these threads of romance discussion has mentioned changelings yet.

I mean, come on. A shapeshifting race would neatly sidestep the pesky "my preferred gender is not available for my character", because they can effectively be anyone's preferred gender :D

Edited by Lurky

Just here to say "Yay" just in case someone thouth that I had changed my mind since the last thread. Not bothering as to explain why because for saying "Yay", apparently and automatically I must be some kind of BSN fanboy, unable to have social interactions with other people (specifically related to tender feelings as love), a freak, a dictator trying to force my prefereces to Obsidian and the other usual stuff implied by some people. :)

I know you joking buts that actually how some people expect you to feel. But there is no need to worry, people like us who want Romances\Sex are in the majority so I am confident we will see some implementation of it in the game :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I know you joking buts that actually how some people expect you to feel. But there is no need to worry, people like us who want Romances\Sex are in the majority so I am confident we will see some implementation of it in the game :)

The idea of that is depressing. I'd hoped the apathetic would be in the majority, by far.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The idea of that is depressing. I'd hoped the apathetic would be in the majority, by far.

I am surprised you would find thought depressing, BG2 type relationships were good enough for me and they were a small part of the overall excellence of the game and you could choose to ignore them.

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Everyone's talking about how bad romances were in other games but that's not a reason not to do it, that's a reason to do it better. And if there's someone who could do it, it's Obsidian in this project with the freedom they'll have to tackle mature themes. Seems to me like an oportunity to elevate the subject that shouldn't be squandered.

• Like 1

The majority is apathetic. We're always the same few people posting here ;)