I think if the devs make romance it's a good idea and I have liked the romance in BDG2 and Nwn2 (Gann is the best romance for me).

But I don't know the cost and budget for create romance in the game, for this moment I have never disapointed by the romance before with Obsidian :wub:

I'd rather not have romances because it takes resources and time from the writing other companions and other comapion stuff, I'd much rather have proper blokemanship with my PC and one or more companions, like "Let's go get a beer and reminesence of old times"-stuff.

Also no to romances because it would most certainly bring that certain group of people who'd be like "We want romances like in Bioware games!" and it would just swallow the forum.

If Obsidian decides to do romance, I dont think they should announce it, or if they would they should say that they've decided what it'll be and there's no point of asking for it in forums.

• Like 1

Nay

Also this:

Also no to romances because it would most certainly bring that certain group of people who'd be like "We want romances like in Bioware games!" and it would just swallow the forum.

The BSN is probably one of the most disgustingly pathetic places on the internet, would hate to see this forum go that way.

Edited by Dustpan
  • Like 1

I liked the ones in Planescape: Torment. They fit the timeframe perfectly and were completely believable. You didn't just immediately foster a deep relationship and start making gooey sex all over camp while your companions watched in terror. Annah and Fall-From-Grace each experienced a lot by your side and came to admire many aspects of your personality. You could feel the same way toward them. There wasn't time for that to advance further, especially because of the nature of the ending. Feelings were present between characters, but not an unrealistic and fully fleshed out romantic arc. We all know more is more, but less can also be more. That is especially true in this case. I really hope they handle it the same way in this game.

Thanks for typing up my exact thoughts so I can type less. :D

I think Torment was one of the very few games that've done romance right, i.e. in a believable and tasteful manner. If the Obsidian guys can pull something like that off, then I'm all for it. I'm just worried that they might go (or feel pressured by a vocal subset of the fanbase to go) in the Bioware-style shallow dating sim direction. I.e. choose a few "correct" conversation options --> have sex --> profit.

People like romances in games and even though I personally never bother with them, they should be included. Many classic RPG's that Project Eternity is basing itself off had them, seems appropriate that it should have them also.

I always like to play a no-nonsense soldier type that is all about getting the job done and has no time for romance. Just because I have no interest, does not mean other should suffer, after all it would be optional.

• Like 2

The BSN is probably one of the most disgustingly pathetic places on the internet, would hate to see this forum go that way.

I just checked it and boy, you'e not kidding! The first three pages of the DA3 forum contain thread topics such as:

• Dear Bioware, I want a Qunari woman in my bed.
  • Click to hug / Click to kiss ?
  • The F/F Romance thread: what do you want to see in the female love interest(s) for DA3's female protagonist?
  • Female Kossith for companion and LI
  • Different bodies different undergarments!!!!!!
  • Cullen as a M/M romance?
  • F/M romance Thread
  • [suggestion] Romance without the Romance.
  • Cassandra's too Manly to be a Companion..
  • Weddings?

I really, REALLY don't want that to happen over here. :D

Edited by Minttunator
  • Like 2

I would be very surprised if the female half of the population were the loudest proponents for "romances" in crpgs.

Well, females and dudes with too much estrogen. No difference.

I would suspect young males with too much testosterone, too little social skills, and a need for back patting and instant gratification to be the loudest group. But as said above, the only ones I know of that has systematically analysed behaviour is Bioware and they are unlikely to share their numbers.

The loudest (and shallowest) group? I've got no doubt about it being (mostly male) immature teens and frat bros. But most who state that they want/enjoy it are definitely mature (and/or adult) males and females. Probably slightly more females. As for who enjoys them? Both sexes of all ages equally, I'd say.

In all seriousness, the reason why I'm against them is because I see them as purely fluff (that's like, my opinion, man... I know), and we're talking about a game being developed with limited resources. There's going to be stuff left on the proverbial cutting room floor, simply because of this. I'd hate to see more compelling content get cut just because Joe Hormone demands he be able to bork his companions.

"More compelling" is utterly relative/subjective.

Proud Probatanthrope @D:OS

Tor.com: Boob Plate Armor Would Kill You (cf. "ball plate armor" - Just think about it.)

The BSN is probably one of the most disgustingly pathetic places on the internet, .

Come now thats a bit dramatic and exaggerated? BSN also has thousands of people who don't talk about Romance\Sex and contribute constructively towards threads

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The BSN is probably one of the most disgustingly pathetic places on the internet, .

Come now thats a bit dramatic and exaggerated? BSN also has thousands of people who don't talk about Romance\Sex and contribute constructively towards threads

But the BSN is dramatic and exaggerated. The only they're contributing towards over there is decline.

Edited by evdk

Say no to popamole!

I'm all for romances but having to choose your partner out of your companions is flat out bullcrap. Why does my mage needs to date a warrior or a rogue? If I was a male hero it's much more likely I'll have a peasant girl or a princess as my partner. If I'm a female hero, my probable partner would either be a companion or a noble.

I'll probably be ok with whatever they add but given we don't have VO or 3D cutscenes in P:E, I'd prefer it like this:

-My PC has a charisma score or a built reputation with opposite and same sex NPCs (companion or not) and we can hit any of them when our reputation is enough and in case they are also interested in us. (I'd also hate if every single NPC is interested in us.)

• Like 1

My opinion that romance is good narrative tool for writers. This don't mean that I want over clued erotic counters with my companions as so many seems to perceive romances (and this for sorry to all seems to some cases includes some professional romance writers and publishers).

But for example Shandra in NWN2, you PC can flirt with her and in that point of story where Shandra and your PC start to express deeper feelings to each other, game's main plot dictate that Shandra dies. In my opinion that was pretty effective narrative use of romance (which would have been much better if Shandra hasn't been so whiny most of the time that you almost cheered when she died :) ). But still there is reason why Rome and Julia is still refered one of the best romantic stories, even that nobody there is no sex and everybody dies in end.

And in Baldur's Gate 2 best part of companion romance stories was when Bodhi kidnaps your love interest and turn her/him to partial vampire. That was just right kind of dramatic effect that causes my character to enrage and run after her without any backup.

It's a common slur. I won't hide that I've been a member of the BSN for years (since DA:O more or less forced you to join) but I will point out that the people I've friended over there and the conversations and threads I pay attention to almost never have anything to do with romance.

There's quite the Project Eternity support over there, and some not-so-gentle rubbing-in-the-face of Eternity's success so far to BioWare.

Mock the people who say BioWare can do no wrong ever all you want - apologists fo that extreme devotion can do with a little ribbing.

I know I'm biting back snide comments at all the Planescape: Torment worship, too. :p

But the BSN is dramatic and exaggerated. The only they're contributing towards over there is decline.

Here are some very active threads over there as well, to counter someone else's cherry picking -

Top 5 things you would like to see in DA3 Inquisition ? (yes, there are people clamoring for romance stuff in here - and many more who's lists don't mention it)

Remove conversation icons (strong dislike of paraphrasing is a common complaint amongst many members)

Dragon Age III Multiplayer (disdain for inclusion of multi-player is a common complaint amongst many members)

Alternative to the Day One DLC Model (BioWare forum goers dislike Day One DLC as much as anyone)

What class of character do you plan to play in DA3? (just a discussion on which classes people expect to play in DA3)

What could Loghain's role be in Dragon Age 3? (controversial thread as Loghain has many "haters" - though, personally, I love to hate him so...)

Put more effort in the ending(s), please (there's no shortage of disappointed (or worse) fans to DA2 and ME3 on BSN)

Dynamic Quests (Example- The DAO Quest "Captured!") (this thread is about asking for more quests like the mentioned one, which was GREAT)

There. And instead of going three pages deep, those are all page one DA3 conversations.

You could also jump over to BioWare General, where it's Off Topic board, alone, has more threads and posts than all of Obsidian's forums combined. And, you know, good luck finding threads about romance in games in Off Topic.

Seriously - there IS a lot more to BSN than whining for more romances. Do you find more of it there than other forums? Sure, because BioWare games have more romance than most other game companies. But it's a small percentage of what is discussed.

Edited by Merin

Yeah, but those threads tend to be pretty sad some of the time at least. The cringe-inducting Indoctrination idea was pretty amusing though, so some good comes from it I suppose.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I want characters and companions that are diverse and varying yet ultimately satisfying to engage with. Bromances, camaraderie, brother-sister like relationships, mentor-student relationships (and the other way around), competitive-yet-friendly relationships... the list goes on. Romances are one way of interaction, and a unique one if well done, but there's so much more to character interactions that are often overlooked in favor of romance.

Ultimately, I want good companions and cool stuff to do in the game. If romances can be done well and flow naturally from the interactions with the characters, I'm all for them. But if they can't, then I would prefer the team to focus on the other ways you can interact with your companions :)

Edited by Lurky
  • Like 2

I think Chris Avellone's blog entry Project Eternity and characterization has probably a good detail for how to think through companions in an RPG.

This quote jumped out at me -

- The companion needs to ego-stroke the player in a variety of ways. Sometimes this can be romance' date=' sometimes this can be simply reactivity (either brief barks or conversations about the player’s actions), or any of a variety of methods. Ultimately, however, any companion that simply sits around bitching, complaining, and haranguing the player isn’t someone you want to drag into the nearest dungeon to help clear it out… you may simply want to throw them in the dungeon and lock the door.[/quote']

The "sometimes" is key for me; I think you have to look at character, story and setting. And sometimes romance will and sometimes it won't make sense for the game or the characters involved.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

If romances were to be handled like P:T, I'm all for it. Deep, possibly integrated into the characters and not into your romance dialogues (Annah or Visas for example) and not artificial like ALL the recent romances Bioware seems so adept at coming up with. I couldn't even notice I was romancing a character while playing P:T... Well maybe I exaggerated here a bit but you know what I mean.

I don't want to go through a lousy dialogue with harps playing while I'm helping out an elf to get rid of her trauma she picked up when her wings were torn just to be dumped for stupid and anachronistic reasons when I'm about to clear the game. I'm looking at you Aerie.