Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What do you want the other race(s) to be?

races species characters setting

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

Gyor

Gyor

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Races known so far

Elves

dwarves
Subraces - Norhern Temperate

Southern Boreal

Humans

2.3 Million Dollar stretch goal Races

Godlike (Aasmirlike?)

Godlike (tieflinglike?)

Godlike (genasilike?)

Unknown Races?

Two at least, maybe more with farther stretch goals
We know thier unique enough that they can't be simple catogroized which leaves out gobliniods , furries, most mythological creatures, so that leaves races completely unique to the world, its themes, and story.

If they reachthe 2.3 million goal they'll be 3 traditional races, 2 unique stretch goal races, and the Godlike Races, unknown quanity, but they gave three examples so until I know more, I'll guess thier are three of them.

ogrezilla

ogrezilla

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 883 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
today's update said items won't be locked to any specific races. I would think that means they don't plan to have anything that doesn't fit the basic shape of normal gear.

gandalf.nho

gandalf.nho

Huntress of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I like to see some beast race (catfolk, lizardfolk...)

betongborr

betongborr

Barbarian of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I want something new that hasnt been overdone in fantasy settings. Fine we all want our tolkiensh dwarves, elves and humans etc. What i personally would like is some kind of non-humanoid race that have other desires and ways to reason than humans. You can make really coollooking alien races, but if they act like carbon copies of humans its bleeh, not interesting enough.

reptilian, insectoid of dinosarians etc. Doesnt really care as long as they act in a typically non-human way.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10988 posts
  • Steam:Tale
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Kickstarter Backer

the Godlike Races, unknown quanity, but they gave three examples so until I know more, I'll guess thier are three of them.

Godlike is likely one race, with subraces representing various elements or deities. Like how Planetouched is set up in NWN2, Aasimar, Tieflings, and Genasi are subraces.

Gyor

Gyor

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Well they said raceS plural so that's my assumption until they correct themselves.

Theomen712

Theomen712

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'd love for them to bring the Rakshasan (http://forgottenreal...m/wiki/Rakshasa) or Kuo'Toan (http://forgottenreal...om/wiki/Kuo-toa) races from the D&D realm to the game. They are two very formidable, very unique species of humanoid and could add a lot of themes to the story(unease between the land and sea civilizations or a potential war etc.) and world PE is trying to make. Rakshasas are outsiders like Tieflings so PE would have two naturally sinister races (though they aren't always evil), and Kuo'Toans add the notion that not all of beings in PE world are landstriders, and that advanced intelligent races exist as well under the ocean. That's something most games never really get into. Even in D&D the most you ever see is a Kraken attack, (I myself was the first one out of my friends to put an aquan races NPC in a D&D campaign when i was DM). This is just my two cents on two REALLY out there races that i think would be kinda awesome for a game that is trying to put a fresh spin on a Tried and true game genre.

Tauron

Tauron

Master Elementalist of Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

With the "Godtouched" race we know that the Gods of the world exist in some form and can have an influence on things. I wouldn't see how it'd be out of place to have minotaur/centaurs if they already mention having a "Godtouch' race that's very noticeable from seeing them (And how often people react to them) I'd think a minotaur, especially a centaur, would be much more welcoming amongst normal humans.

They wouldnt be out of a place in such a context. Question be : what place would they have?

Too many fantasy games have made them species that exist through procreation with eachother (which is not appealing to me) If they appear in game I advocate for having them as abominations, as they were in original RL mythology. Let us use that template in PE. That would be more original approach than what recent fanatsy genre had done considering these creatures. They might be cursed humans, elfs, dwarfs or animals either by Godlike or some magical experiment that has gone terribly wrong. Maybe they came to be, through procreation by two godlike?(again RL myth) Just let them be abominations, not some wise shaman or crap like that. They are freaks of worlds, not truly belonging in either.

In that context I dont see how that would make them welcoming among humans? Unless someone is worshipping some deity through this creature by bringing it virgins even children..hell, lets make it more interesting..babies? Abomination is smart enough to not kill worshippers and have some symbiotic relation with them, maybe it's poop has magical properies, I am stabbing in the dark here. Ok, so creature is benign, still it wouldnt make it less abomination in human eyes. What we know of human nature, they would either worship it or kill it and those who worship it. In best case, they would whisper about it and pray to whatever they belive in, not to encounter it. Unless some hard times are ahead, a plague, failed crops, et cetera. Then someone screams abomination is to blame! Suddenly you see villagers with pichforks and your party being entangled in this turmoil. Do you kill the freak, collect gold and affection of towns ladies? Or do you have conscience crisis and deal in some other way?

Rat-men
Wolf-men
Gay-men..
:blink:
wait a sec..

Macho-Men ??? :ermm:

Dashwood

Dashwood

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I want me some Hyengokai, they is off the hizzle.

septembervirgin

septembervirgin

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Serpent people would be good. Especially if they eat mice people.
Cat people seem consistently popular. Especially if they eat mice people.
Winged people get the gold from many fans. Especially if they eat mice people.
Mice people aren't so popular except for Reepicheep. *sigh* There should be more mice like him!

Ywerion

Ywerion

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 83 posts
I was never fan of animal-like races (nevertheless I secretly wished to have some sort of centaurish party member). I am sorry but yet again I must mention Arcanum because I really loved the way racial portraits was handled here, be it elves, dwarves half-ogres and others they all had this huma look mixed with few characteristical features and thus all the races looked pretty believable (after all they were supposed to evolve from two or three origins) and not typically flat out outlandish to look as much distinctive as posible. To the playable races, well I can't recall if I ever had a choice to play as a race who was actually short lived or at least be of shorter lifespawn then humans, that's one thing, as I mentioned I am not a huge fan of animal races (In one game I played shortly in the past there was even elephant-like race) but carefully created race with humanoid body structure and few fantasy touches would be great, like for instance race of hybridous humanoids with kind of harlequenism like scaled skin, who have very painful maturity, but in the end have natural hard scales of skin and don't grow any form of body hair, and dunno are resented and looked down upon by humans because of their unpleasant look? Just a quick idea, but you get the picture I don't require some to-eyes-bashing outlandish fantastical race, just basic human form we all know with some quirks on.

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1287 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'd like a merman race, not one with flippers and such but regular people who transform slightly when beneath the waves. Maybe not as a PC race but as an NPC race it might be fun.

Loranc

Loranc

Lowly Serf of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 561 posts
i'd like to play any race that the companions can be. There's been quite a few rpgs that have unique companion races that you can't play :(. I always wanted to play a winged race in bg2, but oh well. That's what mods are for I suppose. I guess that's my answer, I'd love to play a winged race. Wonder if the Aasimar will have wing options?

Edited by Loranc, 10 October 2012 - 07:12 AM.

eimatshya

eimatshya

The Obsidian Order's Assigner of Ergativity

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'd like a merman race, not one with flippers and such but regular people who transform slightly when beneath the waves. Maybe not as a PC race but as an NPC race it might be fun.

Yeah, I'd like to see aquatic or amphibious races, but I agree they'd work better for NPCs since P:E will probably take place almost entirely on land.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5055 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'd like just whatever Obsidian comes up with. :)

They are designing a new setting with new cultures, so the character races should be appropriate for those circumstances. Trying to force-feed a fan favorite into the mix would be kludgy at best.

Edited by rjshae, 10 October 2012 - 09:43 AM.

Moonlight Butterfly

Moonlight Butterfly

Crazy Cat Lady of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
A water based race like water nymphs or something. I really like the Zora from the Zelda franchise.

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5552 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I'll prolly get stoned now (I don't mean high, but low, under a heap of rocks thrown by rabid bystanders), but I'd like to see some sort of undead class that lacks a beating heart and all that, but which has wisdom and historical depth in spades. 8)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot, 10 October 2012 - 09:41 AM.

Shadowless

Shadowless

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
The Gelatinous Cubes: Souls that had such terrible things happen in their previous life that they were unable to "come back" as one normally does (not that they have memory of this in general) The lifespan of a cube can not be predicted as they stop any physical aging after their third..."birthday", the only way for a cube to die of old "age" is in fact the time it takes for the soul to heal from whatever horrors were inflicted upon it. Although cubes do not physically age after three, their size varies greatly which most assume is due to the strength of the soul inhabiting the body, most appear to be between three and four feet tall although there are rumors of some as large as twenty feet.(Remember they are cubes that is per side) Although most Cubes are made of a non-harmful substance there are a few made of more sinister materials such as acid. Most Cube communities are peaceful to outsiders except for dwarves, who value their young (as well as the vertically/horizontally challenged) as lanterns due to the fact most of them glow brightly when fed certain mushrooms.

I would also enjoy some race that slowly feeds on the souls nearby (possibly godlike subclass I suppose) they grow in power while weakening those near them, brief contact or contact of a few days does no noticeable harm (souls can heal the damage) but prolonged exposure can result in Gelatinous Cube syndrome.

Edited by Shadowless, 10 October 2012 - 11:07 AM.

• eimatshya likes this

eimatshya

eimatshya

The Obsidian Order's Assigner of Ergativity

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The Gelatinous Cubes: Souls that had such terrible things happen in their previous life that they were unable to "come back" as one normally does (not that they have memory of this in general) The lifespan of a cube can not be predicted as they stop any physical aging after their third..."birthday", the only way for a cube to die of old "age" is in fact the time it takes for the soul to heal from whatever horrors were inflicted upon it. Although cubes do not physically age after three, their size varies greatly which most assume is due to the strength of the soul inhabiting the body, most appear to be between three and four feet tall although there are rumors of some as large as twenty feet.(Remember they are cubes that is per side) Although most Cubes are made of a non-harmful substance there are a few made of more sinister materials such as acid. Most Cube communities are peaceful to outsiders except for dwarves, who value their young (as well as the vertically/horizontally challenged) as lanterns due to the fact most of them glow brightly when fed certain mushrooms.

I would also enjoy some race that slowly feeds on the souls nearby (possibly godlike subclass I suppose) they grow in power while weakening those near them, brief contact or contact of a few days does no noticeable harm (souls can heal the damage) but prolonged exposure can result in Gelatinous Cube syndrome.

Neat idea. I like the adaptation of an existing fantasy creature to P:E's soul concept.

I'll prolly get stoned now (I don't mean high, but low, under a heap of rocks thrown by rabid bystanders), but I'd like to see some sort of undead class that lacks a beating heart and all that, but which has wisdom and historical depth in spades. 8)

Yeah, an undead race of some sort could be cool. Maybe there could be a kingdom that was cursed so that peoples souls never left their bodies upon death and now they are trapped in these dead husks unable to continue on to their next life. You could probably write some pretty interesting stories about how different people responded to the curse, such as some becoming more detached and philosophical while others became more bitter and resentful of the living.

ogrezilla

ogrezilla

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 883 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Bears. I want to be a bear

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: races, species, characters, setting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users