Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What do you want the other race(s) to be?

races species characters setting

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

TheMufflon

TheMufflon

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

What doesn't stop to continue to amaze me is that people really think dev team would actually consider their ideas. Really, the amount of threads with people proposing various additions and tweaks is astonishing.

That said, I'd really, really like snake folk.

Cognitive dissonance: the post.

Edited by TheMufflon, 23 September 2012 - 10:35 PM.

• nikolokolus likes this

horocaust

horocaust

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 46 posts
I didn't make a proposal. I just said what I'd like to see. I don't really think my ideas are worth as much as seriously considering them.

Edited by horocaust, 23 September 2012 - 10:38 PM.

Shades

Shades

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm going to be annoying and say I want to see half-breeds :p Of course I would love a category that had a variety of different ones (any equivalent or tieflings or aasimar could also fit under such a category as they are mixed too) but it seems like a waste.

Rather than using one of the race slots for them though they could just be another subrace under each main race. Say if you chose Humans - Half-elf you'd have a half-elf that used a human model, or Elves - Half-elf would use an elven model (I think half-elves in BG always used the elf models). To save clutter each race could simply have something like a Mixed blood subrace option where you could then specify.

I'm very interested in seeing how different and varied the subraces will be for each race and I'm hoping to see some equally intriguing new races taking up those two additional slots.

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6720 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Kickstarter Backer
I think there will be robots.

IchigoRXC

IchigoRXC

Zerth of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Hippo people. There are just not enough anthropomorphic hippos in games these days.

Starglider

Starglider

Master of Golems of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Watcher
  • Kickstarter Backer

Hippo people. There are just not enough anthropomorphic hippos in games these days.

Heh another Spelljammer fan.

Kissamies

Kissamies

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 365 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Completely nonhumanoid species have been done in fantasy setting, but I think it would still be pretty non-traditional and unique. However, implementing would be a little trickier since they shouldn't be able to use all the same equipment, at least not armor, as humanoids.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10616 posts

Completely nonhumanoid species have been done in fantasy setting, but I think it would still be pretty non-traditional and unique. However, implementing would be a little trickier since they shouldn't be able to use all the same equipment, at least not armor, as humanoids.

Bah, my gelatinous cube protagonist won't need armour, I'll just wobble and then cover you in corrosive acid. Yeah, I won't need swords either! :p

Obviously I'm joking, but it could be interesting to see something other than biped characters. Heck, a banshee or an invisible friend would be a nice change.

horocaust

horocaust

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 46 posts
Making armour available for members of distinctly non-humanoid races is easy, just go Torment route and make everyone protect themselves with ink. Now that's a badass protection means if there ever was one.
On that note, I hope there will be lots of unusual inventory slots. It was simply beautiful when TNO could use replace his eyes. Now, while I doubt that there would be things like that in Eternity, having slots for earrings and tattoos would be nice.
  • Skie Nightfall likes this

hideo kuze

hideo kuze

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

Undead (i prefer if they are ethereal vs zombi like) or Modrons-Constructs have REAL interesting concepts in a game like this cause the firsts lost his souls (if not, they will reincarnate) and the seconds doesn't have one to begin.

mmm...
constructs that have no soul
constructs that want to be human humanoid well, you get my point
constructs that are searching for a soul (reference: Wizard of Oz)
constructs that are willing to kill and cope with dark magic so that they can be imbued with a soul... so that they have access to magic too and be able to have feelings (cheesy I know)

IMO this has room for a lot of cool questions and scenarios.
It kind of opens the philosophical debate of what it means to be human and have rights (pro tip: AI and robots)... in the middle ages :)

p.c.

But I still want a matriarchal race damn it!

What doesn't stop to continue to amaze me is that people really think dev team would actually consider their ideas. Really, the amount of threads with people proposing various additions and tweaks is astonishing. Yet I would be surprised if a single idea actually made it to development stage, not to mention the game itself.

;(
It seems Sawyer only checks the Tropes vs Women thread ;(
Is there any dev out there? *there* *there* *there*
We feel lonely! *lonely* *lonely* *lonely*

Now, a little rant.
While I have faith in the dev team and believe that they can make a masterpiece out of anything, I'm very disappointed with their choice of including elves and dwarfs. Not to mention that it has been done to death decades ago, these 'races' simply aren't distinct enough. Elves are just slender people with pointy years, dwarves are just stocky Norwegians with puffy beards, and even if they would be played differently that still wouldn't change the fact that they're just humans with minor cosmetic changes. Yes, they could be made magical, they could be made long-lived, but the same thing can be done with a group of humans. There just really isn't any sensible reason to take an ethos, give them magical abilities and pointy ears and call them a different species, especially if it comes to the territory when such races can interbreed. If you want magical gypsies, then make magical gypsies instead of breeding entities. What's worse, it could and often does degenerate into planet of hats setup where all members of a race are the same, just according to ethnic stereotypes, like in Dragon Age, when humans have counterparts to various real cultures, but dwarves, elves and especially kossith were all the same when they weren't like humans. It's really like a different race instead of a different species. Now, if they were included as subraces of humanity that would be great, that would be awesome and it'd add diversity without simultaneously taking it away. But as is, it's just sad.

I think that they simply went with those 3 traditional first to be able to draw into the game a less "hardcore" audience. So they're just winking.
But I'm sure they'll give those races some interesting twists, at the very least at the sub-race level.

Edited by hideo kuze, 24 September 2012 - 02:44 AM.

• nikolokolus likes this

horocaust

horocaust

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 46 posts

I think that they simply went with those 3 traditional first to be able to draw into the game a less "hardcore" audience. So they're just winking.

But the audience, the entirety of it, is, in fact, hardcore, else they wouldn't support this project. Considering polls, people want Eternity to be like Torment and Baldur's Gate, and both of these are not the softest of games. Considering polls again, most people who support the project have gaming experience which spans decades, and they've seen elves and dwarfs done to death and beyond. Now, maybe there's some appreciation for it and I'm just being a hipster, but I really think we have too much cliches to ask for more.

IchigoRXC

IchigoRXC

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
@Horocaust I understand that you feel that dwarves and elves have been done to death, but perhaps as you stated their inclusion is for the BG fans. You get the crazy races in slots 4 and 5 for the PST fans and the traditional Humans Elves Dwarves for the traditionalist fans (but with their own take on subraces and culture I am sure)

I Want both, I am greedy, I won't lie. I do understand your POV though :)

horocaust

horocaust

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 46 posts

(but with their own take on subraces and culture I am sure)

Yes, I do hope that elves won't all live in forests and dwarves all be blacksmiths, and concept art of vaguely Indian dwarven ranger does give me that hope, but if you want Indians, why not just make Indians? That's my biggest objection to DA considering races: dwarves were unusual because they had a caste system and were resistant to magic, and elves were gypsies and jews when they weren't druids. But if you just took humans and gave them the same properties that elves and dwarves had, the game wouldn't have lost in quality. So in addition to fantastic French and Byzantine people you'd get fantastic gypsies.

Godwin

Godwin

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Some sort of Orc would be fine with me, the races really don't have to be origonal so long as they are well done. I mean all it takes is a dog to shag a cat and you've got a new species!

OldRPG'sAreGood

OldRPG'sAreGood

Svef Addict of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'd like to see something like ratmen or the sort, and they'd be the residence of souls who messed up in their past lives. A tormented race for souls which need to redeem themselves. Not necessarily ratmen though, just something "uncomfortable" for the soul, as ratmen for example would probably have many parasites and so on. A race where a high position in the society would mean that the soul succeeded in redeeming itself.
  • Lysen and eimatshya like this

ogrezilla

ogrezilla

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 883 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I would have loved all humans. Just different cultures of humans.

IchigoRXC

IchigoRXC

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Gnomes, because Tiax will rule all!

Nah I am still sticking with hippo people.

havok45

havok45

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I think some sort of shade race like the OP mentioned would be cool. With the godish race maybe something like Hound Archons?

yulva

yulva

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I definitely don't want insect people.

Humans, elves, dwarves, godlike and insect people as a fifth option?
I'm sure I'm not the only one who can succeed in a little "Odd One Out" here. I'd rather be half-kobold... Or anything else that seem to properly fit the universe.

Edited by yulva, 24 September 2012 - 08:12 AM.

hideo kuze

hideo kuze

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

I would have loved all humans. Just different cultures of humans.

I think the point of having different races is that it allows exploring different social and cultural paradigms that are not possible with humans, due to our own fabricated idea weaved with history threads.
It's a sad truth that I don't recall ever having seen such a thing.

The strangest I've seen (as a playable) in any videogame have been the drow (in BG2), that where a violent matriarchal race.
(technically I played with a troll in ToEE, but yeah, in terms of culture or dialog, it was as flat as it can be)

When I was a kid, I remember seeing a cartoon episode (from Once Upon a Time... Space) where humans met a reptilian alike alien race.
And while they exchange impressions the aliens said that they ate, like, 90% of their offspring (eggs).
The humans where horrified.
The aliens proceed to explain that due to their large number of eggs laid out, if they didn't do such a thing the planet ecosystem would collapse due to their numbers.
And the human became more understanding, but still horrified.

I'd really like to see some out-of-box cultures.
  • eimatshya likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: races, species, characters, setting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users