What do you want the other race(s) to be?

I was never fan of animal-like races (nevertheless I secretly wished to have some sort of centaurish party member). I am sorry but yet again I must mention Arcanum because I really loved the way racial portraits was handled here, be it elves, dwarves half-ogres and others they all had this huma look mixed with few characteristical features and thus all the races looked pretty believable (after all they were supposed to evolve from two or three origins) and not typically flat out outlandish to look as much distinctive as posible. To the playable races, well I can't recall if I ever had a choice to play as a race who was actually short lived or at least be of shorter lifespawn then humans, that's one thing, as I mentioned I am not a huge fan of animal races (In one game I played shortly in the past there was even elephant-like race) but carefully created race with humanoid body structure and few fantasy touches would be great, like for instance race of hybridous humanoids with kind of harlequenism like scaled skin, who have very painful maturity, but in the end have natural hard scales of skin and don't grow any form of body hair, and dunno are resented and looked down upon by humans because of their unpleasant look? Just a quick idea, but you get the picture I don't require some to-eyes-bashing outlandish fantastical race, just basic human form we all know with some quirks on.

"Have you ever spoken with the dead? Called to them from this side? Called them from their silent rest? Do you know what it is that they feel?

Pain. Pain, when torn into this wakefulness, this reminder of the chaos from which they had escaped. Pain of having to live! There will be no more pain. There will be... no more chaos."

Kerghan the Terrible,

first of the Necromancers,

voyager in the Lands of the Dead.

i'd like to play any race that the companions can be. There's been quite a few rpgs that have unique companion races that you can't play :(. I always wanted to play a winged race in bg2, but oh well. That's what mods are for I suppose. I guess that's my answer, I'd love to play a winged race. Wonder if the Aasimar will have wing options?

Edited by Loranc

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

I'd like a merman race, not one with flippers and such but regular people who transform slightly when beneath the waves. Maybe not as a PC race but as an NPC race it might be fun.

Yeah, I'd like to see aquatic or amphibious races, but I agree they'd work better for NPCs since P:E will probably take place almost entirely on land.

I'd like just whatever Obsidian comes up with. :)

They are designing a new setting with new cultures, so the character races should be appropriate for those circumstances. Trying to force-feed a fan favorite into the mix would be kludgy at best.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'll prolly get stoned now (I don't mean high, but low, under a heap of rocks thrown by rabid bystanders), but I'd like to see some sort of undead class that lacks a beating heart and all that, but which has wisdom and historical depth in spades. 8)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

The Gelatinous Cubes: Souls that had such terrible things happen in their previous life that they were unable to "come back" as one normally does (not that they have memory of this in general) The lifespan of a cube can not be predicted as they stop any physical aging after their third..."birthday", the only way for a cube to die of old "age" is in fact the time it takes for the soul to heal from whatever horrors were inflicted upon it. Although cubes do not physically age after three, their size varies greatly which most assume is due to the strength of the soul inhabiting the body, most appear to be between three and four feet tall although there are rumors of some as large as twenty feet.(Remember they are cubes that is per side) Although most Cubes are made of a non-harmful substance there are a few made of more sinister materials such as acid. Most Cube communities are peaceful to outsiders except for dwarves, who value their young (as well as the vertically/horizontally challenged) as lanterns due to the fact most of them glow brightly when fed certain mushrooms.

I would also enjoy some race that slowly feeds on the souls nearby (possibly godlike subclass I suppose) they grow in power while weakening those near them, brief contact or contact of a few days does no noticeable harm (souls can heal the damage) but prolonged exposure can result in Gelatinous Cube syndrome.

Edited by Shadowless
  • Like 1

The Gelatinous Cubes: Souls that had such terrible things happen in their previous life that they were unable to "come back" as one normally does (not that they have memory of this in general) The lifespan of a cube can not be predicted as they stop any physical aging after their third..."birthday", the only way for a cube to die of old "age" is in fact the time it takes for the soul to heal from whatever horrors were inflicted upon it. Although cubes do not physically age after three, their size varies greatly which most assume is due to the strength of the soul inhabiting the body, most appear to be between three and four feet tall although there are rumors of some as large as twenty feet.(Remember they are cubes that is per side) Although most Cubes are made of a non-harmful substance there are a few made of more sinister materials such as acid. Most Cube communities are peaceful to outsiders except for dwarves, who value their young (as well as the vertically/horizontally challenged) as lanterns due to the fact most of them glow brightly when fed certain mushrooms.

I would also enjoy some race that slowly feeds on the souls nearby (possibly godlike subclass I suppose) they grow in power while weakening those near them, brief contact or contact of a few days does no noticeable harm (souls can heal the damage) but prolonged exposure can result in Gelatinous Cube syndrome.

Neat idea. I like the adaptation of an existing fantasy creature to P:E's soul concept.

I'll prolly get stoned now (I don't mean high, but low, under a heap of rocks thrown by rabid bystanders), but I'd like to see some sort of undead class that lacks a beating heart and all that, but which has wisdom and historical depth in spades. 8)

Yeah, an undead race of some sort could be cool. Maybe there could be a kingdom that was cursed so that peoples souls never left their bodies upon death and now they are trapped in these dead husks unable to continue on to their next life. You could probably write some pretty interesting stories about how different people responded to the curse, such as some becoming more detached and philosophical while others became more bitter and resentful of the living.