What do you want the other race(s) to be?

I'd be for gnomes if they were more like originally put forth by Paracelsus - earth spirits about 2 spans high (~18 inches) as opposed to D&D gnomes who are a lot like magical dwarves in presentation.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Races I'd like them to add in non-random order:

-goblins

-cat/bug-people

-pixies

-halflings

-giants

-orcs

I would hate to see half-elves for obvious reason and gnomes, since they are is almost no difference between them and dwarves then it comes to anything besides stats.

I think the Gnomes in Pathfinder's Golarion setting are pretty distinct from its Dwarves, but then their Gnomes are more similar to fey, meaning they might overlap a bit with your pixie suggestion.

I'd be for gnomes if they were more like originally put forth by Paracelsus - earth spirits about 2 spans high (~18 inches) as opposed to D&D gnomes who are a lot like magical dwarves in presentation.

This could be neat, too.

Edited by eimatshya

Races I do not want to see;

Pixies

Halflings

Gnomes

Cat people

Races I do want to see;

Beastmen

Bird people (Can not fly)

Small Ratmen

OK, what do you mean by "Beastmen"? Do you mean things like bird-people and ratmen but not cat-people? Hairy wild-men like Enkidu(Epic of Gilgamesh) and Gurgi (Chronicles of Prydain)? men who can take the shape of beasts? something else?

I really like Minotaurs, as you might imagine. I'd like to see a race of vegetarians with strong social unity among the females, and fierce competition and frequent violence among the males. Both males and females would be nothing to mess with: tall, horned, and thick with physical power. Because of their herd nature, they'd be capable of true egalitarianism at higher populations than humans or elves - thriving towns of a few thousand could get by this way - but it would not be in their nature to unite different communities into a larger heirarchy. The strongest bulls would be dominant in their community, and not easily allow anyone to rule over them. War among Minotaurs would be rare, and done by champions - the strongest bull of one community fighting against the strongest bull of another. When humans, elves, or dwarves invade their lands, Minotaurs are often disguisted by their apish barbarity. The Minotaurs would be given to deep rumination, not idle displays of cleverness or invention.

Minotaurs is what I wish for as well :dancing:

I would not like to see minotaur as society. They are good as they are, an abomination. They are quest. They might even taste good, their horns have magical properties. They would be hunted to exctiction by humans centuries ago.

Ehh I hope PE avoids too many animals/humanisk/hybrid creatures that are acually a fullfledged intelligent species. Minotaurs, Centaurs, were-things, Ogres etc are in traditional setting more of abominations, cursed creature monster, failed magic experiment or as from original mythology gods had sex in animal form with another creature and voila, you have abomination. Too weird to live and too rare to die. I hope they stick to that formula. If they add village of minotaurs milking cows, than PLEASE give us option to kill them all. Minotaur skin makes good boots and cenataur hooves are for good luck!

Racial cleansing you say... /lol

I would be ok with this, apart from the fact that I don't want any godlike party to be able to wipe an entire population in a region (a village is ok, a city maybe... a whole region... no way!)

Anyway, back on topic:

so what races are you exactly proposing?

I like what they did in Arcanum. You had different races and it seemed they were all somehow conected. So basically you had dwarfs and as subspecies you had gnomes and haflings and mix of those.

Humans are in game. So we can have as someone mentioned before Neanderthal type of men, like troglodytes, cromagnon man etc. For all that we know in this setting orcs might be humans that just developed differently or were at some point of evolution "touched" by Gods. Or other way around. There are a lot possibilities.

Maybe some kind of reptilian biped? As long as they are belivable and rightly done. If there is solid backstory, lore and also there is appeal.

Edited by Tauron

magic021.jpg

Great points about the subraces. I hope we can choose some interesting backgrounds for our characters.

The dev update that really got me interested in P:E was the one that brought up the issue of diversity. I'm a little burned out on traditional fantasy races, but the big problem with them is that they are almost always monocultures. Giving elves and dwarves the same cultural diversity as humans gives them a chance to be interesting again.

I also really hope that linguistic diversity is considered as well. I hate that every race in fantasy games has its own language that all members of that language speak regardless of where they live. It takes absolutely no effort to say that Dwarves from Flindur speak Flinduric and Dwarves from Kazo'aan speak Kazo'aani. It's not like that have to actually make up these languages. But no, they always speak Dwarvish. As if language were genetic or something.

So, back on topic, whatever races they do end up including (and from the KS page it now looks like the Godlike will be a sixth race, so I guess there are two unannounced races, not one), I hope they will be divided into diverse cultures, with each culture having its own language (unless it would make sense for it to share one).

I agree. I think the problem of many fantasy games is that while humans were allowed to have cultural diversity (yet not reflected in stats/abilities), the other races were set forth as monocultures. >.< So I'm hoping that the non-human races get the cultural diversity of humans and the humans get some stat/ability variations.

And as someone who graduated with a minor in linguistics, I heartily agree with your desire for linguistic variation within races. Depending on how related the communities of speakers are it could be shown as different dialects of the same language or as different languages that share a common source. And you're right that the languages don't have to be made to be able to allude to the differences. And these linguistic differences can tie into their exploration of racism, etc. since often people are looked down on for not speaking "properly" (Standard American English compared to African American Vernacular English or the English of non-native learners).

I am partial to monstrous races but only if they come with in-game consequences. Closed quests, plot changes, attacked on-sight, and so on.

That reminds me of a D&D campaign I was in where my character would be attacked by villagers because of his vulpine features (usually involved them throwing things from a safe distance). It definitely changed how my character acted (I think I eventually got a cloak with a hood to make it harder for people to tell things were different). But perhaps not everyone would attack on sight, shun, etc. There would definitely be plenty of room for exploring themes of racism, cross-cultural (mis)understanding, discrimination, and the like with some sort of anthropomorphic animal race. But you don't need a race like that to be able to explore those themes. Though I would love to see one!

I really like Minotaurs, as you might imagine. I'd like to see a race of vegetarians with strong social unity among the females, and fierce competition and frequent violence among the males. Both males and females would be nothing to mess with: tall, horned, and thick with physical power. Because of their herd nature, they'd be capable of true egalitarianism at higher populations than humans or elves - thriving towns of a few thousand could get by this way - but it would not be in their nature to unite different communities into a larger heirarchy. The strongest bulls would be dominant in their community, and not easily allow anyone to rule over them. War among Minotaurs would be rare, and done by champions - the strongest bull of one community fighting against the strongest bull of another. When humans, elves, or dwarves invade their lands, Minotaurs are often disguisted by their apish barbarity. The Minotaurs would be given to deep rumination, not idle displays of cleverness or invention.

Minotaurs is what I wish for as well :dancing:

I would not like to see minotaur as society. They are good as they are, an abomination. They are quest. They might even taste good, their horns have magical properties. They would be hunted to exctiction by humans centuries ago.

Ehh I hope PE avoids too many animals/humanisk/hybrid creatures that are acually a fullfledged intelligent species. Minotaurs, Centaurs, were-things, Ogres etc are in traditional setting more of abominations, cursed creature monster, failed magic experiment or as from original mythology gods had sex in animal form with another creature and voila, you have abomination. Too weird to live and too rare to die. I hope they stick to that formula. If they add village of minotaurs milking cows, than PLEASE give us option to kill them all. Minotaur skin makes good boots and cenataur hooves are for good luck!

Racial cleansing you say... /lol

I would be ok with this, apart from the fact that I don't want any godlike party to be able to wipe an entire population in a region (a village is ok, a city maybe... a whole region... no way!)

Anyway, back on topic:

so what races are you exactly proposing?

I like what they did in Arcanum. You had different races and it seemed they were all somehow conected. So basically you had dwarfs and as subspecies you had gnomes and haflings and mix of those.

Humans are in game. So we can have as someone mentioned before Neanderthal type of men, like troglodytes, cromagnon man etc. For all that we know in this setting orcs might be humans that just developed differently or were at some point of evolution "touched" by Gods. Or other way around. There are a lot possibilities.

Maybe some kind of reptilian biped? As long as they are belivable and rightly done. If there is solid backstory, lore and also there is appeal.

With the "Godtouched" race we know that the Gods of the world exist in some form and can have an influence on things. I wouldn't see how it'd be out of place to have minotaur/centaurs if they already mention having a "Godtouch' race that's very noticeable from seeing them (And how often people react to them) I'd think a minotaur, especially a centaur, would be much more welcoming amongst normal humans.

I have a thing for snake like races. Naga from warcraft aren't a bad example.

Centaurs really piqued my interest though. The universe is set in an age where plate-armour is as advanced as it has ever been.

Now put those centaurs in that advanced plate armour. You get bloody juggernauts of destruction wreaking havoc. It'd be like the heaviest of cavalry but without the hindrance of a rider trying to control a horse, assuming the centaurs aren't phenomenally stupid in this setting (if the're included).

I like.

edit:

oh and have any of you read the Rainwilds books by Robin Hobb? That might be an interesting inspiration for your 'dragon-like' races.

Edited by sanian

...Wemics... :biggrin:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

To add my two cents: I’d like there to be some really scary looking people. They should not be hostile, but because of their inhuman looks (I mean, something really different that would make “normal” people very uncomfortable by just looking at such creatures), they would’ve been treated bad by others. For example, such race could offer a help in hard times, but because so many people just don’t like their looks, there offer would be turned down rudely. Or if you play for one, other characters may react with great negativity towards to you. I think it would add a nice “bitter” feeling showing humans as somewhat racists, and could lead to a potential side-conflict.

Races known so far

Elves

dwarves

Subraces - Norhern Temperate

Southern Boreal

Humans

2.3 Million Dollar stretch goal Races

Godlike (Aasmirlike?)

Godlike (tieflinglike?)

Godlike (genasilike?)

Unknown Races?

Two at least, maybe more with farther stretch goals

We know thier unique enough that they can't be simple catogroized which leaves out gobliniods , furries, most mythological creatures, so that leaves races completely unique to the world, its themes, and story.

If they reachthe 2.3 million goal they'll be 3 traditional races, 2 unique stretch goal races, and the Godlike Races, unknown quanity, but they gave three examples so until I know more, I'll guess thier are three of them.

I want something new that hasnt been overdone in fantasy settings. Fine we all want our tolkiensh dwarves, elves and humans etc. What i personally would like is some kind of non-humanoid race that have other desires and ways to reason than humans. You can make really coollooking alien races, but if they act like carbon copies of humans its bleeh, not interesting enough.

reptilian, insectoid of dinosarians etc. Doesnt really care as long as they act in a typically non-human way.

the Godlike Races, unknown quanity, but they gave three examples so until I know more, I'll guess thier are three of them.
Godlike is likely one race, with subraces representing various elements or deities. Like how Planetouched is set up in NWN2, Aasimar, Tieflings, and Genasi are subraces.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'd love for them to bring the Rakshasan (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Rakshasa) or Kuo'Toan (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Kuo-toa) races from the D&D realm to the game. They are two very formidable, very unique species of humanoid and could add a lot of themes to the story(unease between the land and sea civilizations or a potential war etc.) and world PE is trying to make. Rakshasas are outsiders like Tieflings so PE would have two naturally sinister races (though they aren't always evil), and Kuo'Toans add the notion that not all of beings in PE world are landstriders, and that advanced intelligent races exist as well under the ocean. That's something most games never really get into. Even in D&D the most you ever see is a Kraken attack, (I myself was the first one out of my friends to put an aquan races NPC in a D&D campaign when i was DM). This is just my two cents on two REALLY out there races that i think would be kinda awesome for a game that is trying to put a fresh spin on a Tried and true game genre.

With the "Godtouched" race we know that the Gods of the world exist in some form and can have an influence on things. I wouldn't see how it'd be out of place to have minotaur/centaurs if they already mention having a "Godtouch' race that's very noticeable from seeing them (And how often people react to them) I'd think a minotaur, especially a centaur, would be much more welcoming amongst normal humans.

They wouldnt be out of a place in such a context. Question be : what place would they have?

Too many fantasy games have made them species that exist through procreation with eachother (which is not appealing to me) If they appear in game I advocate for having them as abominations, as they were in original RL mythology. Let us use that template in PE. That would be more original approach than what recent fanatsy genre had done considering these creatures. They might be cursed humans, elfs, dwarfs or animals either by Godlike or some magical experiment that has gone terribly wrong. Maybe they came to be, through procreation by two godlike?(again RL myth) Just let them be abominations, not some wise shaman or crap like that. They are freaks of worlds, not truly belonging in either.

In that context I dont see how that would make them welcoming among humans? Unless someone is worshipping some deity through this creature by bringing it virgins even children..hell, lets make it more interesting..babies? Abomination is smart enough to not kill worshippers and have some symbiotic relation with them, maybe it's poop has magical properies, I am stabbing in the dark here. Ok, so creature is benign, still it wouldnt make it less abomination in human eyes. What we know of human nature, they would either worship it or kill it and those who worship it. In best case, they would whisper about it and pray to whatever they belive in, not to encounter it. Unless some hard times are ahead, a plague, failed crops, et cetera. Then someone screams abomination is to blame! Suddenly you see villagers with pichforks and your party being entangled in this turmoil. Do you kill the freak, collect gold and affection of towns ladies? Or do you have conscience crisis and deal in some other way?

Rat-men

Wolf-men

Gay-men..

:blink:

wait a sec..

Macho-Men ??? :ermm:

magic021.jpg

Serpent people would be good. Especially if they eat mice people.

Cat people seem consistently popular. Especially if they eat mice people.

Winged people get the gold from many fans. Especially if they eat mice people.

Mice people aren't so popular except for Reepicheep. *sigh* There should be more mice like him!

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."