How do you lie eyour protagonist  

327 members have voted

1. 1. How do oyu like hte protagonist?

• Destined by fate. Fortold by legends. I'm the CHOSE ONE!!!!
    • Chosen or not, I'm Super-Special! Tremble before my unique power/linegae/whatever.
    • Just a regular guy. Right place at the right time.
    • Don't care.

even if i'm joe shmuck the farmboy turned adventurer it is inevitable that i WILL become the chosen one...thats what the PC always is, prophecy or not.

A large part being the PC is driven by a carbon based life-form rather than bits/bytes/electrons and thus is inherently chosen :) If PE allows a person to create multiple PC's for the party, the chosen one dynamic if present would be interesting.

I'm going to disagree with most the people here. I can't justify saving the world, without being special in some way.

Also, I do kind of like having that special move, that others can't do. Assuming in this one it might be stealing souls (Which would be sweet), you know either the hero or villain is going to be stealing souls!

EDIT: I wanted to add, I do not like the chosen one theme. Not a fan of "You're the mussiah!". I prefer just having some special abilities that allow me to successfully finish the epic quest.

Edited by Klaleara

I was tired of "Chosen Ones" back when the Matrix hit theaters. Before that I was indifferent to them.

If I'm the guy who wants to make my party of adventurers to control, clearly I'm not projecting myself into one role. And, clearly, I'm not looking to play "the most important person in the universe." Add to this that I personally dislike stories that rely on "prophecy" or "fate" or "destiny"...

Well, you can guess my vote at this point.

It is kind of funny to read all of the posts on how being the "Chosen One" or a character that has a special heritage/lineage is boring and overdone. In other threads you can read about how many people consider The Baldur's Gate Series (special heritage) and Planescape:Torment (chosen one) to be the best RPGs ever made. ^^

If you ask me, being the chosen one or having a special heritage seems to be a good formula for making a damn good game. :D And I also seriously doubt that replacing the main character in those games with just "some normal guy" would make them better.

I thought being the Chosen One in Fallout 2 was pretty funny, given that from a meta-game perspective you knew from the beginning that you were just some random schmo. It also was fun to introduce yourself as the Chosen One and see people's reactions.

I would actually consider the tribal in Fallout 2 not to be "The Chosen One", but just a regular guy. I mean sure, he was the descendant of the Vault Dweller, but the Vault Dweller was also just a regular guy (who just happened to save the Wasteland). I don't think this made your character special in any way and just because that crazy old shaman calls you the "Chosen One" does not mean a damn thing - I mean that guy was seriously hitting the hard stuff big time. What a crazy old cook. ^^

Edited by dlux

:closed:

It is kind of funny to read all of the posts on how being the "Chosen One" or a character that has a special heritage/lineage is boring and overdone. In other threads you can read about how many people consider The Baldur's Gate Series (special heritage) and Planescape:Torment (chosen one) to be the best RPGs ever made. ^^

Hi, I'm Merin. I don't know if you saw my post in the "how old are you" thread, but my ten (twelve) favorite cRPGs didn't include PS:T or Baldur's Gate. Those are both games I never finished. Or the game hooks thread, where I list Icewind Dale, the Fallouts and Arcanum. 8)

One that someone else here did mention that I loved - the Bard's Tale remake. Not so much for mediocre gameplay, but because the whole game was a big satire on "the Chosen One" trope. :grin:

I voted: "Just a regular guy. Right place at the right time."

I like the Half-Life approach. Gordon Freeman was the right guy at the right (or actually wrong) place and time. He isn't really special, he kicks ass because the player kicks ass.. no super powers that are explicit to him. He gets a lot of help from friends and equipment.

I'm not keen on "Chosen One" plots, because it seems to me an overused narrative hook rather than being inherently bad. At least disguise it a bit.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I've got nothing against the chosen one if he's chosen for a reason. Was he created from whole cloth out of a need to conquer the evil? Did he accomplish something great that garnered him the attention of the choosers? Did he choose himself after seeing what needed to be done?

Finding out why the chosen was chosen can be as, and can potentially be more, interesting than what he or she was chosen to do.

I think random providence is a little weak. Just being in the right place at the right time. As if the world is saved or destroyed with the initial roll of a die. Where if the hero had slept in 15 minutes everyone would be on the road to total doom. Unless there's a thematic point to be made out of such coincidence.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I think random providence is a little weak. Just being in the right place at the right time. As if the world is saved or destroyed with the initial roll of a die. Where if the hero had slept in 15 minutes everyone would be on the road to total doom. Unless there's a thematic point to be made out of such coincidence.

From what they've said, I actually don't think we're saving the world this time.

I don't want protagonist to be The Chosen One, but I'd like to see something that justifies his chance to win the race.

P.s. They could add Chosen One, but not PC, for the sake of absurd.

Something like Martin in Oblivion, or the sylvari in Guild Wars 2?

I personally prefer my own character to be the main catalyst in the story, just not necessarily someone who transcends into Godhood or something like that.

P.s. They could add Chosen One, but not PC, for the sake of absurd.

I like this a lot.

I had an idea for a game were you play as a wise old mentor character who has to locate and guide a bunch of destined young heroes on their quest.

And then when they all die due to various juvenile drama amongst the group, you gather your group of elderly retirees to Cohen style victory.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Since this is a fantasy game and not real life we could look at this way; we are the One Who Chooses. We choose to play the game thereby becoming the hero of the game. As long as the game doesn't start out with my PC being the Chosen One I will be happy. I have chosen to back this game and now the developers are the gods who decide the fate of my character.

Lead on Obsidian, Masters of my destiny. :dancing:

• Like 2

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

HAS to be the chosen one, i need my character to be the most (potentially) powerful being in the games setting/universe , a reflection of how leveled (grinding), how powerful his stats are and most importantly how well equipped my character is.

Having said he needs to be the 'chosen one' I dont mind if its straight of the bat you know you're character is special/the last hope for the future, or if its revealed later on as the story progresses.

Regardless if you're chosen by some god or you are the ONLY one with special abiltiy and the ONLY one who can save the word - it's equally bad.

The second you're the only one you are effectively a chosen one.

And the Exile...ngh..I hate the entire Exile concept.

So according to you the moment something special with the protagonist happens in regard to the narrative it's *chosen one*.

Congratulations you just made everything ever a chosen one story.

No.

The moment the protagonist becomes special and the ONLY one ot be able to solve the problem.

If only someone of your bloodline can solve the curse that will doom the world - you're a chosen one.

If youre the only one to awaken a previously unknown power (that just happens to be the right power to fight a super bad guy) you're a chosen one.

A boring, stupid Marty Stu.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Spoiler time.

If you ask me, being the chosen one or having a special heritage seems to be a good formula for making a damn good game. :D And I also seriously doubt that replacing the main character in those games with just "some normal guy" would make them better.

Because TNO wasn't "The Chosen One." :D

Please keep in mind the Chosen One related tropes of destiny/fate and related discussions on free will. Some people are conflating "I choose my own destiny to be great" or "Other people are choosing me because I'm good at something" with "Something beyond my free will sets me upon a destiny not of my choosing (though I might try to bend it)"--the problem with the former set should be plainly obvious: Every single piece of fiction with a main character that affects his/her world in any way is thus The Chosen One. With enough layering and twisting of the trope, the line can be blurred, though.

(1) TNO was a great leader at some point. There was no information whatsoever about his heritage; he did not have special powers.

(2) TNO did something bad (he was tricked into doing it by the clattery one).

(3) TNO was eternally condemned to the Blood War.

(4) TNO experienced regret and was directed to Ravel for a way to become immortal and atone for the rest of his life (and to avoid the Blood War).

(5) TNO psychologically manipulates Ravel into doing the spell.

(6) Spell is only partially successful. Thus we get TNO at the beginning of the game.

(7) That the semi-failure threatens to rip apart the multiverse is a side-effect.

(8) Transcendent One ain't goin' back, man. He chooses his OWN path!

Comment: About #1, being a leader with tremendous charisma/gravitas, where others choose to follow him, does not equate to being The Chosen One. That's no different than saying Obama is The Chosen One--silly, isn't it.

So where in the PS:T storyline is there any indication that TNO was given a destiny, or prophesied, or inherited a special bloodline, or even at the right place/right time? There is no "higher power" nor stellar alignment involved at the start. Every single thing that turns TNO's reality was derived from his own choices in a sort of horrible domino effect covering centuries. You cannot say that about Harry Potter or Buffy Summers. And this is just one reason why PS:T was frakking brilliant. That's not to say all Chosen One implementations are necessarily terrible; I think there's a pretty good gradient covering the boringly cliche to nifty subversion.

Some reading:

“The Chosen One” vs. The One Who Chooses by Naamen Gobert Tilahun

The ‘Chosen Ones’ in SF and fantasy: sending the wrong messages by Olsen J. Nelson

Postscript: Here's an interesting idea. One basic requirement of The Chosen One trope is that that person is the only one capable or destined to solve some ginormous problem threatening The Blah--what if, in developing our companions in PE, we had to or were able to send one or more companions to address issues outside of the party aegis? And depending on how we developed with our companions, different results would be accomplished. Hmmm.

• Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I don't get why everyone is debating the definition of a "chosen one". It's a fake concept to begin with. I'm going to go ahead and respond to the actual topic..

The protagonist has to be special. Otherwise there's no explaining how that person is able to have such a profound effect on the game world. I far prefer a story told about heroes to "oops look I slipped tripped and saved the world!" wanting a regular joe is wanting Jar Jar Binks as your player character. Nobody wants that. They might think they do, but they'll hate it when they experience it firsthand.

Edited by KenThomas

I Voted for the second option. I agree that the chosen one trope is a bit tired, but let's face it: this is a fantasy RPG. We are going to be major players in the history of this world. We are going to be capable of feats beyond what your average regular joe could only dream of doing. If we're aiming for consistency, then we shouldn't want the game to keep telling us how totally unexceptional we are.

KotOR2 did this best, I think.

Edited by Fooine

I'd prefer to skip the mystical prophetic hoohah, but I do prefer my character to be exceptional in the sense of "able to deal with situations that would be beyond the abilities of actual people in real life". Is it absurd that you can defeat entire armies (or sneak by them, or convince their commander to take up knitting instead, WHATEVER)? Yes. Is this more fun than having you get your butt handed to you by each and every schmuck you encounter? Also yes.

But I prefer instead of "you're the ONLY ONE who can save us!" you get "well, you might be able to do the job, and you're HERE."

Although it might be funny to have a side-quest chain where some crazy prophet person insists that you are the Chosen One and tries to send you off to do things.

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.