There's quite a few 'semi-unique' classes that I've enjoyed over the years (assassin, mage hunter, monk type, archer) that it would be nice to see implemented in Project eternity, but my one main wish would be for a properly implemented shifter class. By this I don't mean some druid type class that can also shift to some (generally useless) animal form once all of their spells are gone... but a class that can shift into a variety of interesting shapes (animals sure, but maybe also slimes, assassins, goblin archers, golems, variety of undead, and at high enough levels spellcating demons etc...). I think it was the Shadows of Undertide expansion for NWN that had the best shifter implementation I've seen and that was still somewhat mediocre (don't get me started on the shapeshift spell in NWN, or any of the shifting in NWN2 and especially DA:O). The main mistake I commonly see with shifting in games is that they don't give you any of the special abilities of the new form (i.e. you shift into a dragon but can't cast dragon breath, or a basilisk with no stone gaze) which pretty much kills the fun of it.

the big problem I see with most games and shifters is that they basically just end up separating the roles of each form too much. If I want that character to do damage, I will always use this form etc. Shifting should be relatively active; not just pick one form and use it all the time because it fits the role you want that character to fill. Like you said, giving more specific skills to different forms would help that.

Here's the thing about classes: If Obsidian is creating an independent framework for non-combat skills, then a lot of character depth can be gained from that framework. A party doesn't *need* a ranger, they can get scouting-type skills even if they happen to cast spells. They might not even *need* a healer if the non-combat skills are high enough or potions can be crafted etc. They might prefer to have someone who has lockpick skills, but why can't that be a blademaster?

What we are looking at here could be a brilliant new approach where one is more concerned about a combat "style" than a package of pre-determined skills. Consider - how many times have you wished your wizard could do a fade then dual-dagger attack someone in the back row? Is there really any reason why they shouldn't be able to do that? Suppose you wanted a spellcaster to use a staff and Glamdring? Why not? What about an unarmed thief? The limiting factor would be armor and weapons. You aren't going to be able to tuck-and-roll wearing plate as you might in padded and you aren't going to be doing fancy evasions with both fists full of staff and blade. The operative elements here are speed, encumbrance and strength. One's fighting style must be adjusted accordingly, perhaps some open and some close depending on how you're equipped (and trained, of course).

Fast weapons with quick evasions are one style with particular animations. Medium-distance weapons such as swords and maces (or two-handed) are another ("sword-and-board"). Heavy mauling hammers and zweihanders are a third. Ranged attackers are the fourth. That's it. Four animation sets usable by anyone with the training and a sufficiently low encumbrance. I guess you'd want a fifth for magic animations. Okay, a sixth for unarmed, but again, there's no reason why every character wouldn't be able to use that. They might lean more toward particular types of combat, but a "class" per se isn't really necessary. What is important is how the player wants to fight when they must fight and how much training and effort they want to put into fighting versus other pursuits.

I know what I have said is akin to heresy and it will probably be easier for people to latch on to "Fighter SMASH" and "thief backstab!" but that's also sailing perilously close to lawsuit territory for infringement of other gaming systems. Eternity needs to be its' own IP, so the notion that one could learn and use different styles of combat ("I see your Eagle Claw Style, but it is no match for the DIVINE FIST!!!") is important. Perhaps one might grow more accomplished at certain styles and test to obtain higher rings of mastery ("You perceive that I have but two rings of mastery on Eagle Claw... now see my TRUE MASTERY OF THE IRON BLADE!!!" or "Perhaps, but my Eagle Claw is augmented by the POWER OF ZUUL!!!"). Could be a lot of fun!

I really hope they fully embrace making a game that isn't tied down by any sort of D&D mechanics. Make this game their own.

Edited by ogrezilla

Come to think of it, wouldn't it be a "uh-oh" moment to see a party of moderately-armed enemies suddenly break into their own separate invocations of cosmic power then light up with different forms of danger? Wouldn't it be even cooler to bust out your own party's amps and buffs to match?

Yes, in fact... I see in my mind's eye - a new thing: the Menace Meter. One can never really tell just how dangerous looking an enemy group is. Wouldn't that affect your decision as to whether to talk, fight or run? When combatants drop, the meter would adjust.

HOWEVER - - it's not always accurate pre-combat. A party can be incognito or unbuffed. They might be trying to lure you into a trap. When they drop the hammer and reveal themselves - perhaps they are elf-lords in their glory or unsanctified foes from the pits and the glow of power surrounds them. Perhaps when your party buffs (can we please have a "DO IT" or "COME AT ME BRO" button to buff all?) the meter re-balances... or perhaps the horror of being grossly outmatched is revealed...

It would be an awesome device to create a sense of foreboding, a warning of grim things in the dark, bumping upward at certain intervals when pebbles fall in the cavern only to fall back then rise again...

I just want to be a master smith and churn out magical weapons that I sell to pampered knights and lords. Then, at the appropriate time, the swords will take possession of their owners and these "leaders" of men will form my initial army. An army who, for some shocking reason believe that a little known smith from Road's End should be emperor of all creation. I will of course act modest and humble, but ultimately, for the good of all the people, accept their just demands. Thus shall the true might of the smith class be known to all. No more will people poke fun of our black and sweaty faces. No more will they haggle for our wares. No more will they tell us their horses' shoe was of poor quality, and demand their monies back. No, my friends, we will be respected, nay worshiped. And our forge-fires will light forth a new age of metallic beauty, elegance, and fine cooking.

Also, I hope in this game you can multiclass.

The Obsidian Orders Royal Pain

"Ouch"

I would defintely like to see clerics in this game. Not the "priests" in robes you usually seem in games like WoW, but the D&D style clerics based on templars from RL. In other words, the cleric should have a mace, a shield, armor, and draws magic from some divine source which can either be used for healing, buffing, defiling, or destruction.)

Why restrict them to mace? That part never made sense to me, let them use a multitude of weapons or weapons special to their god (historically no one was restricted to blunt weapons)

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

No classes.

Just skills/feats to create one owns role and "class".

Lately calsse have started to feel more like a restraint..too specilized,..too pushed into a specific role.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

No classes.

Just skills/feats to create one owns role and "class".

Lately calsse have started to feel more like a restraint..too specilized,..too pushed into a specific role.

Lately? I'm trying to come up with examples, but I can't really think of any roleplaying games that would fit into "lately".

t50aJUd.jpg

I heard they're apparently going to be adding firearms into the game so maybe a class related to that.

they are all going to be very primitive guns though, so one shot and then switch to your other weapon. I see them as something to add a little spice to every class depending how each can utilize it more than something to build a class around. It could be an interesting upgrade to the typical backstab if a thief puts a little extra effort into mastering a gun though.

I am not a fan of prebuilt classes. They are generally dull and are rarely what I actually want to play. I would prefer a system where I have the option of doing whatever I want but only have the ability to specialize in a few areas. So I have to make choices that specialize my character but have enough options to choose from that I can really make a unique character each time I play the game.

Arcanum is a good example of a character builder I enjoyed a lot. There's a basic choice, magic or technology, that you can't cross over but you then have *everything* to chose among within either technology or magic. But your points are so limited that each one is an important choice.

I don't care if this freedom allows me to totally break the game because "balance", that mythical beast, doesn't matter in a single player game.

A lot of modern rpgs have action game feeling. You have 4 or 5 abilities that only the one class has. It feels like you're playing a character some other person created. I want to be able to build my character by choosing the skills and abilities that suit my idea of *my* character.

...barbarian...Wemic barbarian... :yes:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

I want to see...

Pure:

Warrior (melee or ranged expert, high natural dr or hp, combat moves)

Rogue (melee or ranged expert, sneaky, rogue skills, poisons/traps)

Priest (holy magic)

Mage (arcane magic)

Hybrids:

Mage Knight (basic melee/ranged skill +some arcane magic)

Divine Knight (basic melee/ranged skill+some divine magic)

Mercenary (melee or ranged expert + some rogue skills, and some combat moves)

Warriors, Rogues and Mercenaries should be able to specialize in melee or ranged combat.

Priests and Divine Knights should vary wildly by diety. Those that follow nature gods, for example, would basically be Druids and Rangers.

Mages and Mage Knights should have spell schools they follow and thus totally change their spellbooks.

There should be no "pet class." If you want a pet, one of your companions should just be a dog or something.

Difference in fighting style and the like should come through feats or some such, IMHO.

Edited by Shevek

I would actually like to see separate magic classes for "traditional" mages that cast fireballs and the lot, and those that practice more "engineering/fabrication" magic for lack of a better term. The latter type would be able to ascribe special characteristics to their clothing/armor and weapons, and even fabricate weapons unique to their class (special enchanted guns, wands etc). They'd have access to all sorts of fabricated magical devices, alchemy, etc. Essentially they use their magic to fabricate and alter and then use the created items for practical purposes. Just an idea.

Edited by Shardbearer

Herald of the Obsidian Order

Also I'd like having a mage-knight that doesn't actually suck, as in most games they seem to be never as good than pure warriors/knights or mages.

Well you are trying to have your cake and eat it, flexibility has to come at a price in raw ability otherwise they'd be an unbalanced class.

Presumably if you disagree with the designers that much you can just mod the game and tweak the stats Baldur's Gate style.

This only matters in pvp. In single player I don't see why a warrior/mage class shouldn't be just as awesome as a purely warrior class. It may turn out that being a mage/warrior will be the most awesome experience but as long as you make the other classes also very enjoyable it doesn't really matter.

There's a thought...I haven't heard if there was going to be some sort of multiplayer tacked on or not. If there is and it involves pvp, then personally I'd rather they made certain classes unavailable rather than not include them at all.

There are only six main archetypes you really need in any RPG to give people enough room to build their own type of player.

-Strength based Warrior (Fighters, Barbarians, Bezerkers)

-Skill based Warrior (Knights, Tacticians, Bards)

-Stealth based Rogue (Thieves, Assassins, Spies)

-Combat based Rogue (Rangers, Duelists, Swashbucklers)

-Direct based Mage (Elementalists, Battle Mages, Arcanists)

-Indirect based Mage (Healers, Illusionists, Summoners)

If you try to give players too many classes (10+) then at that point you should just make it a classless game or allow it to be multiclass based system.

Edited by Critical

"I have yet to meet an Obstacle that I can't overcome with Guns and Fireballs"

-Teldarin the Critical, Gun Mage

There are only six main archetypes you really need in any RPG to give people enough room to build their own type of player.

-Strength based Warrior (Fighters, Barbarians, Bezerkers)

-Skill based Warrior (Knights, Tacticians, Bards)

-Stealth based Rogue (Thieves, Assassins, Spies)

-Combat based Rogue (Rangers, Duelists, Swashbucklers)

-Direct based Mage (Elementalists, Battle Mages, Arcanists)

-Indirect based Mage (Healers, Illusionists, Summoners)

If you try to give players too many classes (10+) then at that point you should just make it a classless game or allow it to be multiclass based system.

looks like a solid list to me.

I actually forgot to describe my favourite kind of character, which I would - of course - love if he would be achievable within the class system of Project Eternity.

Arcane Archer/Arcane Trickster/Charlatan. Ranged weapons, bows preferably, on-the-fly enchantable arrows, with heavy magical utility spells, such as illusions, divinations, telekinetics, and so on. I just love sneaking around, using minor spells to augment myself or throw off my opponents, open locks or remove traps with magic. Heavy on the whole charming/diplomatic side, to excuse the wearing of flagrant wealth when I'm in town.

t50aJUd.jpg