How should the UI look?

Which kind of UI would you like?  

434 members have voted

1. 1. Which visual style do you prefer?

• Something with a solid feeling, like Baldur's Gate
    • Thin and wiry, like NWN
  2. 2. Is the ability to have multiple UI windows on screen important to you?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you want a mini- map in the same style as most modern RPGs?

• Yes
    • No

Whatever UI they're using, the most important thing to me is READABILITY.

I hope:

1. Fonts can be changed - in case they decide to use some crazy artistic font that's bare unreadable.

2. Size of the fonts can be changed - Err... it's no fun to look at a big ass screen with tiny fonts. I don't like squinting and I'm not a young'un anymore.

3. Please make sure the dialog window / codex / inventory screen can be ADJUSTED to make full use of our big screens. I'd like to see all of the details in glorious size.

Please, pretty please ... :bow:

Agreed, though the reason I want to be able to adjust text-heavy elements is so they don't stretch over the whole screen. There's a reason newspapers are printed in columns.

A collapsible, RTS-style minimap could be useful if the area is large, particularly in towns.

Other than that, I'd like there to be a touch-friently mode for the UI.

Edited by Teahive

I like a clean UI ... that doesn't mean wiry or solid, it just means that an interface shouldn't detract from the imagery in the game-world, in fact a UI can be a part of that imagery.

Secondly, I like the idea of a customizable interface where elements can be grabbed and moved around or toggled on and off independently or even having multiple elements like a map, character and inventory screen on at the same time. A mini-map however in a high oblique, isometric (axonometric actually) projected game shouldn't be necessary.

Exactly! Easily customizable for individual personal preference has always been a favorite of mine! Give the UI size and transparency adjusters, on-off toggles, and unlimited (Eternity!) hot buttons.

BTW, this is SO cool! Glad to be a part of of this. Yay Obsidian, Yay Kickstarter, Yay all of us players who made it possible!

Crimson & Cream; an epic fantasy novel by C.M. Skiera

I still really like the UIs of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. I prefer Baldur's Gate's to Baldur's Gate II's, in fact, which I suppose may be somewhat unusual. I like the solid framing. I do also like those of Baldur's Gate II and Icewind Dale II, however.

Dragon Age: Origins did have a fairly good compromise between old and new UI designs, I thought, but I still prefer the older ones. I prefer not having multiple windows on the screen at one time, because I find it a bit annoying - I usually won't do it even if it's an option, and I do like the windows to be individually large.

As to the mini-map, I don't think it's necessary in an isometric RPG, and so would just be cluttered. I do like having them in 3d ones, because then I have some trouble finding the way without it, but you already see as much of the area in an isometric RPG as you often do to the minimap, so in my opinion that would mostly be taking up space.

• Like 2

knightofchaoss.jpg

I liked BG2 UI best as it made a beautiful frame in which the game was played. It didn't feel like it was taking space from the game, it just surrounded it.

In my opinion, transparent menus, character icons and moveable windows just get in the way because they cover "useable" screen space.They let you see partly what is behind but you cannot see it properly. For me the cut-out and transparent elements feel way more in-your-eyes than solid large blocky UI like BG or IWD.

I liked BG2 UI best as it made a beautiful frame in which the game was played. It didn't feel like it was taking space from the game, it just surrounded it.

In my opinion, transparent menus, character icons and moveable windows just get in the way because they cover "useable" screen space.They let you see partly what is behind but you cannot see it properly. For me the cut-out and transparent elements feel way more in-your-eyes than solid large blocky UI like BG or IWD.

You do realise there is game going on behind the BG UI that you just can't see right? Saying that transparent menus etc cover the useable screen space doesn't make much sense when at least you can see around them, for example in the Dragon Age UI where you can see left of the character portraits, if there was an enemy there you would see it. If that was the BG UI you would not see the enemy but it could still be shooting at you.

I don't like the DA2 UI as much as DAO because it seems like they went backwards with the character portrait display, it looks like something you'd see in an arcade game from the 80's. I understand they were trying to maximise screen space but they could easily have done that with a pop up UI, where it slides or fades away until you hover over it.

I think we need to have decent sized portraits in the UI for our party in PE because that is part of the feeling of adventuring with a group and is reminiscent of IE games without necessarily copying it outright. Especially as the game will be isometric, you won't see your characters like you do in either Dragon Age and won't be zooming in to face level ever.

You do realise there is game going on behind the BG UI that you just can't see right? Saying that transparent menus etc cover the useable screen space doesn't make much sense when at least you can see around them, for example in the Dragon Age UI where you can see left of the character portraits, if there was an enemy there you would see it. If that was the BG UI you would not see the enemy but it could still be shooting at you.

I think we need to have decent sized portraits in the UI for our party in PE because that is part of the feeling of adventuring with a group and is reminiscent of IE games without necessarily copying it outright. Especially as the game will be isometric, you won't see your characters like you do in either Dragon Age and won't be zooming in to face level ever.

I know game goes on under the UI, I've used the "H" key a lot:). What I meant was that in BG it did not feel like there was some really useful screen space that the UI was obstructing, UI felt like it was around the useful space. In NWN, DA, most newer games, the whole screen is useful space and the semi transparent and cut-out elemets are obstructing the view of that useful space. In BG UI is beautiful and around the game; in NWN, DA, the UI elements are getting in the way.

Very true about the portraits, I hope they are decent size and rectangular, just as you say they add a lot to the feeling. A strip on the right with all the portraits and there you have it, a third of a BG-like interface is already in place:)

Oh, and we definately need the "H" functionality.

Edited by cdx

DA:O, DAII, NWN and Skyrim are the top most horrendous UI I've ever seen.

Then you obviously don't play much games.

Baldur's Gate style UI is huge waste of space. Every pixel of UI is limiting your view from those gorgeous backgrounds so they must find prefect balance between size and usability. Also UI consisting of blocks like in DA:O behaves much better with different resolutions than solid one and if you are allowed to set sizes for different pieces of UI or turn them on and off it's just perfect.

Edited by Haerski
  • Like 2

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

planescape: torment UI was okay (not cluttering the screen like baldur's gate games). except the radial menus :x . they should do it with list style menus.

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

I would just like to say that a minimap has no place in a fixed angle, isometric game. The whole point of a minimap is to provide at a glance directional orientation to quest markers and surrounding landmarks - none of which are needed in this game.

• Like 4

I don't mind the DA:O UI, but if anything I'd really love to see something different. I defiantly don't want a copy/pasted UI, I'd like to see Project Eternity become a truly Unique game of its own caliber. I would love for them to develop a UI for it that really stood out compared to the old and new UI's that are currently out there.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

Oh, god, that DA2 one looks more horrible than I remembered. DA:O's fine (it's basically the UI of Freelancer), but still not what I hope for in PE.

Freelancer_Combat.jpg

Especially bad were popup screens. Yeah, sure, they took up little space in the middle of the screen, but so floaty is... weird. And why should we still view the game while busy with that?

It would be much better if UI screens where full-screen, but put in most of the information as possible. So the inventory + character information next to it. Skills and feats on the same page. Mini-map and character selection. No point why they both need their individual screens if they combine so well. Do best with the space.

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I quite like the visual style of the UI in King's Bounty: The Legend. It's fairly solid looking, but not as intrusive or ugly as something like BG:

Kings_Bounty-The_Legend_pics.jpg

The portraits would obviously be a little less cartoony, and of course, PE is a very different kind of game, so in terms of functionality it would need to be different with a lot more options. But just in terms of visual style...

Edited by Piccolo

Yeah, I'd like to see something like that, those leaves, scrolls and the statue are a nice touch. Obviously KB's style is quite different, but something along those lines would be great.

It feels like it belong there, as if it was part of the gameworld (figuratively speaking), which is something that's very important to me. I don't like disconnected UIs, such as the one in Skyrim - it really didn't fit the fantasy theme of the game, felt more like an IPhone application.

Edited by Karranthain

I prefer if not everything is in a bar on the lower level.

Some RPG's did that, and I was often dead without realising, since how often are you going to look at the bottom of the screen. Left or right fits much better due to human vision working as it does.

Also one of the reasons why I think IWD2's HUD was a step back from the other IE games...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

IWD 2 UI ftw.

also, I would be satisfied with something similar to JA 2

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

DA:O, DAII, NWN and Skyrim are the top most horrendous UI I've ever seen.

Then you obviously don't play much games.

Baldur's Gate style UI is huge waste of space. Every pixel of UI is limiting your view from those gorgeous backgrounds so they must find prefect balance between size and usability. Also UI consisting of blocks like in DA:O behaves much better with different resolutions than solid one and if you are allowed to set sizes for different pieces of UI or turn them on and off it's just perfect.

On the contrary, BG UI is much more to my liking. It felt limiting only because the game had low resolutions.

I simply hate to the utmost every wired-frame semi-transparent over-stylized UI. They lack of appeal, personality and seems too hightech for a fantasy.