How should the UI look?

Which kind of UI would you like?  

434 members have voted

1. 1. Which visual style do you prefer?

• Something with a solid feeling, like Baldur's Gate
    • Thin and wiry, like NWN
  2. 2. Is the ability to have multiple UI windows on screen important to you?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you want a mini- map in the same style as most modern RPGs?

• Yes
    • No

Another vote for something like the UI of DA:O.

The UI of Baldurs Gate and IWD shure looks nice, but it is not as easy to navigate between various windows as in NWN2.

Baldurs Gate excelled at item description and item pictures.

And a more toned down version of the item and spell icons would be great, especially in Neverwinter Nights they look too bright and cartoonish.

It really doesn't need to adhere to any particular game's style of interface, but freed from the constraints of a console controller, my guess is that a greater emphasis will be placed on bringing up individual elements with hotkeys, and whatever HUD is visible should emphasize the things that you need to see all or most of the time (Character icon with HPs bar, dialogue window). For people that don't like using hotkeys, I would favor a right-click feature that opens a drop-down list of all the various things you might want to open (character sheet, inventory, map, etc.) Right-clicking would be context sensitive, so that if you click on empty space it brings up the general list, or clicking on a character, mob, door or an object brings up a different list (examine, interact, use, disarm, unlock, etc.).

The goal of any interface should have a few objectives. 1. leave as much of the screen open as possible 2. Use as few mouse-clicks and cursor movement as possible to accomplish a task and 3. It should emphasize Simplicity and intuitiveness -- menus should be logically laid out and easy to navigate.

A minimap in an isometric RPG? Are you kidding me? Who needs that? Just have a map, that is accessible with one click.

Btw: Instead of minimaps you should have ingamedescriptions if there are places, that aren't easily navigated. For example nonamenpcs could have the dialogueoption "Where can I find...". (See Gothic 2 for example).That is a much more immersive solution and it's really bad if it is skipped in favor of an unimmersive minimap that is an unneccesary UI element.

I want it more for camera control than for the actual visual map. it would make camera control so much easier. the RTS/MOBA style minimap seems like a complete no-brainer addition to this style of game considering they are essentially the same thing visually and control-wise. If people don't want it make it toggle on/off. A UI in 2014 should be able to be customized pretty thoroughly.

Edited by ogrezilla

The goal of any interface should have a few objectives. 1. leave as much of the screen open as possible 2. Use as few mouse-clicks and cursor movement as possible to accomplish a task and 3. It should emphasize Simplicity and intuitiveness -- menus should be logically laid out and easy to navigate.

I'd just add one thing to the list : 4. UI should be visually pleasing, but not at the cost of the previous three points.

But maybe that's just me :)

There's one thing I've been wondering with the rise in the amount of people with multiple monitors, how difficult it would be to program in an option to transfer all the pop-up screens (inventory, character sheets etc.) to the second monitor so they they can be open all the time.

I mean, a lot of people with two monitors that happen to be playing a game that only uses one monitor on full screen just have a blank screen with their other monitor. Why not just use that wasted space for all the UI stuff that normally pops up in the middle of the screen and obstructs your view?

• Like 1

Loved the simple look of the NWN 1 UI. I don't like bloated, graphics laden UIs like those in older RPGs. They just need to be easy to use with as few clicks as possible.

Focus entirely on usability and easy access to items & information.

There's one thing I've been wondering with the rise in the amount of people with multiple monitors, how difficult it would be to program in an option to transfer all the pop-up screens (inventory, character sheets etc.) to the second monitor so they they can be open all the time.

As someone who has never had fewer than two monitors on his desk (and generally three) for the past 15 years, I have to say, this just makes no sense, to me. No kinaesthetic sense. I don't see how turning my head to look at another monitor (keeping in mind, most people have rather large - and horizontally large - monitors at this point in history) is more efficient or immersive than pressing an inventory hotkey. Multimonitor gaming is something we forward-thinking gamers have always been interested in. But so far as I know, functional aspects of the interface have never been implemented in a multi-monitor interface for a game of this kind in such a way that functionality is actually improved. Multi-monitor interfaces can sometimes improve immersion in 3D first person games, by sticking something in our peripheral vision to give us a better surround experience. They can be good for driving games and FPSs, for this reason. But that's not at all what you're suggesting, and that's not at all this game.

And so I reject outright, for now, the idea that sticking functional aspects of the interface on a series of separate monitors would actually improve the game experience at all. Particularly in the age of ultra-widescreen monitors, which are so much wider than earlier monitors already.

I agree with the DA:O UI preferences mentioned above, or something equally elegant. However, if they have weather plus a day/night cycle, I would like an additional panel to track that information. Preferably including some sort of sky view. Thanks. :)

Drakensang has another pretty nice interface:

1816889-drakensang_2011_06_17_16_20_05_67_super.jpg

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

As someone who has never had fewer than two monitors on his desk (and generally three) for the past 15 years, I have to say, this just makes no sense, to me. No kinaesthetic sense. I don't see how turning my head to look at another monitor (keeping in mind, most people have rather large - and horizontally large - monitors at this point in history) is more efficient or immersive than pressing an inventory hotkey. Multimonitor gaming is something we forward-thinking gamers have always been interested in. But so far as I know, functional aspects of the interface have never been implemented in a multi-monitor interface for a game of this kind in such a way that functionality is actually improved. Multi-monitor interfaces can sometimes improve immersion in 3D first person games, by sticking something in our peripheral vision to give us a better surround experience. They can be good for driving games and FPSs, for this reason. But that's not at all what you're suggesting, and that's not at all this game.

And so I reject outright, for now, the idea that sticking functional aspects of the interface on a series of separate monitors would actually improve the game experience at all. Particularly in the age of ultra-widescreen monitors, which are so much wider than earlier monitors already.

I understand where you're coming from, but it's just an idea I'm throwing out there on how to use what is now just wasted space. Right now the only use for any monitor you have in addition to the main monitor your game is playing on is either:

a) A blank screen

or

b) Open to another program (oftentimes an FAQ in an internet browser while you play the game in windowed mode)

Surely that other monitor being used as part of the game can only add to the experience.

what if they are on the other screen, and when you press the button they move to the main screen? they don't have to be locked to the 2nd screen.

Edited by ogrezilla

Ok, server problems over, I hope. I decided to do a mock up based on comments made on this topic (and because I was in a long meeting today and bored to death). I took the screenshot, added BG2 framing, NWN2 floating panels, and the DA:O compass:

petempleentrance011920x.jpg

Not Bad. So adding to that, I thought it might be nice to have the frame adjustable on a transparency slider in the graphics interface/ video settings panel so that people who aren't keen on the framing can be rid of it:

I think I prefer something like this to the super sparse NWN2 look and in general would be pretty happy with an overall look that was somewhat along these lines

• Like 1

Ok, server problems over, I hope. I decided to do a mock up based on comments made on this topic (and because I was in a long meeting today and bored to death). I took the screenshot, added BG2 framing, NWN2 floating panels, and the DA:O compass:

Not Bad. So adding to that, I thought it might be nice to have the frame adjustable on a transparency slider in the graphics interface/ video settings panel so that people who aren't keen on the framing can be rid of it:

I think I prefer something like this to the super sparse NWN2 look and in general would be pretty happy with an overall look that was somewhat along these lines

Why must you tease me?

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

With the isometric view, I don't really see the need for a DA:O style short range radar map. The most important part of that was showing you where you were facing. I'd much rather a RTS/MOBA style minimap. Obviously not revealing things until you've seen them just like the full map.

champ_review_leona_04.png

Edited by ogrezilla

With the isometric view, I don't really see the need for a DA:O style short range radar map. The most important part of that was showing you where you were facing. I'd much rather a RTS/MOBA style minimap.

That's cool...any recommendations? I agree about the directional aspect, kind of pointless, I more like the form (shape) of the map.

Doh! Alright, I see

Edited by curryinahurry

With the isometric view, I don't really see the need for a DA:O style short range radar map. The most important part of that was showing you where you were facing. I'd much rather a RTS/MOBA style minimap.

That's cool...any recommendations? I agree about the directional aspect, kind of pointless, I more like the form (shape) of the map.

ya I edited my post with a LoL screenshot.

Here's warcraft 3, which I think handles fog of war similar to how an RPG would want to. Its pure black until you discover it, and then it looks greyed out after you leave. The biggest advantage to that type of map is the ability to use it with controls. Clicking it will move the camera, you can move your party to points on the map, etc.

warcraft3humansfightorcmm1.jpg

Edited by ogrezilla

Curryinahurry `s example (post #88) of mixed UI elements from different games looks mighty fine to me, it is close to awesome (and not in a buttonish way)!

But the bar in the bottom could be for reserved for ability quickslots probably, not party formation. Imagine this with spell icons and Character portraits of Cadegund, Edair, Aloth and company in a more down to earth, sepia themed way.

This is my interpretation. The box in the lower left would be dialog and is fully collapsible up and down or left and right. The basic character selected info on the right of the dialog moves with the dialog box. The party portrait circles are bigger than they would be in DAO. Obviously I've left out the player character, use your imagination.

The minimap is optional, I don't really care if there is one or not on the UI in an isometric game but as it is collapsible anyway I left it in, might be handy if you are in a dungeon and want to run back to the start of the map without opening a map window to see all the lefts and rights you need to take.

With all the buttons on the bottom row there is no need for a fixed ability button menu like the IE games so long as there is an ability/skill menu we can drag buttons from. An optional second bar could be in the Options menu for those who might prefer to keep their abilities all on one side of the screen. The ability bar can be dragged from the right to collapse to the left so you only see the number of buttons you want to see. (For anyone not familiar with Dragon Age Origins).

FtGXT.jpg

• Like 2

Regardless of final form, the UI needs to minimize the amount of screen space devoted to it. I don't want to have to constantly toggle the thing on and off in order to understand what's happening on the rest of the screen.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

I think we can do better than the IE UI's these days and though the IWD2 one is better than most I still think it is too blocky and takes up a large strip of the lower screen. Perhaps if it had an opacity scale or something.

ya the UI is one aspect of the IE games that makes me think "man, these games are getting old"