219 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want some P:E funding to be used in Brian Fargo's 'Kick It Forward' initiaive?

• Definitely Yes
    • Maybe Yes
    • Indifferent
    • Maybe No
    • Definitely No

I'm actually against it. I've decided to back this particular project and I'd rather all the money was spend on it. Every single penny. I do not believe Obsidian should spend money they got from the community to fund their project on other things. If I feel like supporting a different project, I will do it myself and so will the others.

I do feel the idea is a very noble one, but I don't think it should be done this way. If every single person who pledged to support a project could *choose* if he wants his pledge to be a part of Kick it Forward than I would be fine with it.

Edited by True_Spike
  • Like 1

Kicking It Forward is not spending the money gathered through Kickstarter on other projects, but spending the money earned from the finished project. Obsidian wouldn't be supposed to give 180k $ now, but after finishing the game and selling it, 10% of that profit would go for another project.

Saying that, I tell I'm totally indifferent if they should or shouldn't support KIF. They know Fargo, work with him and know better than we about the idea ;) If they want to pursue it, then be it, but that's all. And Feargus is already supporting other Kickstarter projects ;)

• Like 10

I think it's a great initiative, in the long run it'll lessen the need for publishers and help games that aren't very mainstream to get funded. Plus, 5% of the profits once the game has been released seems pretty reasonable.

• Like 1

Kicking It Forward is not spending the money gathered through Kickstarter on other projects, but spending the money earned from the finished project. Obsidian wouldn't be supposed to give 180k $ now, but after finishing the game and selling it, 10% of that profit would go for another project.

Saying that, I tell I'm totally indifferent if they should or shouldn't support KIF. They know Fargo, work with him and know better than we about the idea ;) If they want to pursue it, then be it, but that's all. And Feargus is already supporting other Kickstarter projects ;)

Oh, I must have misunderstood that. In that case, it's a beautiful initiative and I'm very supportive of it. It is, however, Obsidian's decision in the end.

Edited by True_Spike
  • Like 1

Nah. Obsidian should be able to keep all the money they earn from a successful release. They should be bullied or shamed into giving that money away to some other loser for their sucky project.

Of coruse, as above, the profit is Obsidian's to do with as they wish, so if they want to give money away so be it.

• Like 3

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

YES, absolutely. I think it is imperative to see Project Eternity participate in this because I believe this can become the greatest selling game of all time and even 1% of the profits it makes may fund many AAA titles independent from the jaws of publishers. This might help get us one step closer to living in a world where game developers are free from the oppression and tyranny of publishers.

• Like 1

1zq6793.jpg

I agree with Kai and Darth Trethon that Kicking it Forward could establish a whole new ecosystem for independent creators, and I think it would be good if successful studios will contribute towards the success of projects they like from smaller teams.

• Like 1

Kicking it forward is about making a shift in the industry. If this initiative works out we might actually see more projects like Project Eternity and Wasteland 2 from other (newer maybe?) developers. There's never anything like too much of a good thing, now is it? :)

It's Obsidian's decision but if you ask me I'd be all for it.

Edited by leshy
  • Like 3

Red Mage of the Obsidian Order

www.cherrytreestudio.eu

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

Red Mage, Episode 835: Refining Moment

In theory I think it's a great idea and since it's just a portion of profits and Obsidian ostensibly should be able to pick whom they might want to back with "kick it forward" funds,I think it's an idea that has some value.

Should it be mandatory for Obsidian? Definitely not, we have no idea what their financial situation might be like and given some of the difficulties they've had with games like Alpha Protocol and not earning a bonus on Fallout New Vegas, maybe they need the money for solvency? This is something that every company should weigh without feeling bound by an obligation they might not be able to reasonably support.

• Like 3

Kicking It Forward is a brilliant initiative, IMO.

Not only is it sharing success with others, giving others opportunity...

giving back to the community that supported you, even...

... it allows creativity, as opposed to marketability, to rise to the top. Kickstarter donations do not happen with hopes of a return on investment, so any project that Obsidian or inXile or other successful Kickstarter campaigners choose to back will be based on their belief that those new projects are worthwhile and should see the light of day.

It helps build a community of cooperative developers instead of competitive developers.

It's part of a paradigm shift, one that I urgently hope will continue.

• Like 1

I think Obsidian should invest (most) the money that they make with this game to make the sequel even better!

Anyway, they don't really need kicking-it-foward to support other games. As you can see on their kickstarter they are already supporting other developers - and that is more than enough in my opionion.

:closed:

Yes, with some reservations : don't kick forward more than you can afford for the next game, please!

But yes, I do want a Kick It Forward thing. It will generate goodwill, and goodwill is ultimately the best thing on Obsidian's side. After all, that's what many of us are here for---the quality of the work is part of it, yes, but I'm sure many of us are here because we like Obsidian. Kicking It Forward will help more people to like Obsidian. And that can be no bad thing.

Sword Sharpener of the Obsidian Order

(will also handle pitchforks and other sharp things)

I voted Maybe No.

The Kick It Forward is a great idea if a project is completely funded by Kickstarter, with a significant surplus after all costs. While it's great that P: E is doing well, the Kickstarter will not fund the game complete ... Obsidian will have to find significant further investment, so there is no way that they are rolling in cash from this.

Kick It Forward is best for windfall projects where a project receives very much more than it needs.

Moreover, I think that in the games world there are enough people starting highly speculative Kickstarter projects without giving them yet more incentive to do so by being able to draw on the success of preceding, viable projects.

Definitely Yes. kicking it forward is an important step into changing the industry (at least supporting the alternative). also, say, they made a million $ profit. it would be only 50k $ they should contribute back. 5% is not much.

Edited by molarBear
  • Like 1

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

It's their decision, not ours, but if you ask me... Definitely yes.

They want to get away from publishers and live their own professional dream. I would like it very much if they helped other indie gaming studios to do the same.

Although I have to say that's a problem as this means I will sink even more money into Kickstarter in the next years. ;)

Games I'd like to play don't seem to get funding by standard publishers, so it would be better for my wallet if they got none at all. Still, it would mean less fun.

Edited by walkir

I think they should, it's their choice but to me it's a good idea.

It's giving back to kickstarter, the community that helped them to raise the funds for the game and make it in the first place.

It's a way to give back for those people that have successful kickstarters and help out projects that might not make it or they want to help out.

Some of you don't seem to understand it's not taking money away from the kickstarter of PE, it's only something done after the release of the game, when they see profits coming in. It's not a huge amount of money either.

It sure seems like some of you guys are pretty free with other people's money ...

It's an opinion on whether we think they should or not.

Kick It Forward is voluntary. And they get to choose where they donate that 5% if they choose to donate.

I'm not going to hold it against Obsidian if they choose not to pledge - especially since they are already donating to several projects on KS.

Now Tim and DF, however... last I looked they hadn't donated to anything, so if they don't pledge either... I'll be a little less enthusiastic about supporting their next KS.

KS is a community of mutual support, not a marketplace of competition. Part of the attraction for developers is the freedom to not answer to a publisher, yes, but also the support they feel from each other. Often the biggest donators to KS projects are other KS projects - and for video game developers specifically, other video game developers.

Edited by Merin