No this isn't a homage to Tenacious D.

Once upon a time, on Eric Noah's 3E D&D forums, a guy posited the following view:

When your party reaches a certain level of power, they are often called upon to do stuff: protect communities, slay troublesome orcish tribes, clear out undead-generating crypts and take out powerful, village-incinerating dragons. And, in return, the party accepts a reward or does it because they are the good guys.

Screw that.

When your party moseys into a village or town demand tribute. We are powerful. We have fireballs and lightning and the martial ability to best your puny militia. This town will pay tribute. We will not pay taxes or obey your laws. In fact, in return for our protection we want to tithe you. We want the manor house as our base. We want free healing. We want free food.

And if you don't provide it? We won't harm a hair on your greasy, mud-streaked peasant scalps. But we will go on our way and let whatever pitiful fate it is you want us to save you from claim you, let orcs render your fat into glue, burn your homes, take your women.

Now, this isn't very nice. But what a great option for an evil party rather than rargh! we kill / slay etc.

• Like 7

sonsofgygax.JPG

Not that I'd probably play this option myself, but to have it available would be great. As long as all the consequences were there too. Another party will come along and do the quest for you. The villagers might agree and then report you to their lord, who may in turn either a) attack you for taking his rightful taxes & breaking his laws or b) he'll in turn report you up the chain to the king or whatever passes for ultimate authority in the land. From here, said authority either uses cunning (lured into a trap) poisoned in sleep after invited to be heroes of Kingdom or given own castle, etc) or brute force to try quell the usurpers & disturbers of the Kings peace.

We will rape their cattle and stampede their women!

Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

"But we have over one thousand mounted knights!"

"Mounted knights? Would be a shame if something were to happen to them, ay colonel?"

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.