What if the gods were aliens, like in Stargate, and they would visit the world now and then to check what's going on, but would not interact, just give a small push here and there to make sure everything is as they desire :) would be meta gaming fun to know they are actually aliens, just nobody could recognise them being extraterrestrial in the game world, because they stil think the earth is flat and the sun circles around it and not the otherway :)

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves: You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin (RIP!)

I couldn't tell what the hell was going in this clip, was this meant to have something to do with the thread? I had never seen this anime before but it didn't really change my opinion of anime as a whole to be honest. no offense but it just seems to me like your typical big guy with scars and huge sword saves the world with his effeminate side kicks deal, pretty status quo from what I saw. The naked chick was pretty shwing though

Well that's a good thing because you really should have no clue what is going on if all you saw is that episode. Not sure why Osvir linked it instead of just discussing it.

That said you are wrong about quite a few things but I can see why you make those assumptions. First this is not about some bad ass with a huge sword who saves the world. The world in this manga's story is basically.... screwed. The bad guys won, they won before the protagonist was even born. He literally never had a chance, at all. One of the over riding themes of the story is that "fate" is not governed by man (in the traditional sense) and that humans might not even have control over their own thoughts, feelings, or lives. That quite possibly there is a "master plan" or group of superior beings you never really see that have all the real control and people only have the "illusion" of free will.

There is also a often not known over riding entity that only shows up (at least to this point) in the manga one time that is referred as being something equivalent to the "god of pure evil". It is literally just an entity of pure instinct and drive that controls the entire world and it's power is literally fed by the ideas and motivations of humanity as a whole. The implication being "god" is a bad guy but he is only a bad guy because people are.

That and every "deity" or super powered being in the show (even the dude with no face and his brain hanging out) actually were originally humans who ascended to higher power through sacrifice. Which is basically what is happening in this episode with the main antagonist of the series Griffith who becomes the god Femto.

The main character on the other hand is literally referred to as "the Struggler" at many points because his "fate" was to die in this episode but he survived. He can not "win", he even once fought one of these deities you see in this episode in it's regular avatar form and barely survived the fight despite killing it. Bear in mind it's "avatar" form is like 10% of their actual power, so against the real thing he would have been a dead man walking. So his goal is not "to save the world" it can't be saved as the whole philosophy of the show is the world is screwed BECAUSE man is evil. His goal is purely revenge against his once best friend (this evolves as the story goes along) and to heal the woman he is in love with who gets turned into a psycho/vegetable by the events of this episode.

I don't really want to go further into it than that. Let's just say this show has a lot of philosophy backing it and Nietzsche probably would have loved it because it is about as Nihilistic as it can get. It can definitely apply to PE in many different ways.

Not sure why Osvir linked it instead of just discussing it

I never discuss Berserk, because discussing Berserk doesn't do it justice. I only talk about how good it is :p I feel that if Obsidian thinks any of it seems interesting enough for P:E they ought to watch it/read some of it (research). I noticed that the 25 episodes were all uploaded to YouTube (right hand featured videos).

EDIT/P.S: I'm part of a manga community, and the only discussion we have about Berserk is "When is the next chapter coming out?".

Edited by Osvir

^No comment, you have no idea. It is related to the thread because it's an Idea Pile of Gods and these anime episodes presents 4 Gods and an Ascension of 1 God, hence related.

Also no offense taken but I can't value your thoughts on Berserk as credible, unfortunately, as you haven't seen the entire show. And that's that, if you would watch it all I'd take your opinion more seriously :)

Yeah fair enough, not making value judgement's here, I just didn't really get it.

I'm interested in how the ancient peoples identified their gods with celestial bodies. I would like a twist on that - maybe the god Nhngnhnfthull is actually a physical body orbiting the world of PE, or at least an object in the sky. Maybe it's a distant, bright star pulsing with energy, a huge moon/ asteroid that one day will threaten to crash into the world of PE (that would make for a nice apocalypse absolutely not ripped off Majora's Mask) or just a huge, strange fleshy creature floating among the clouds with the help of sacs of gas.

I like the idea of gods who are represented somehow by physical objects. Another idea would be the god Atavian, a god of prosperity and long life, who was shattered into a thousand pieces by some spiteful, warlike deity. The shattered remains of the god were then used as a currency in the PE world.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

^No comment, you have no idea. It is related to the thread because it's an Idea Pile of Gods and these anime episodes presents 4 Gods and an Ascension of 1 God, hence related.

Also no offense taken but I can't value your thoughts on Berserk as credible, unfortunately, as you haven't seen the entire show. And that's that, if you would watch it all I'd take your opinion more seriously :)

Off topic, but it always annoys me when people say this. Is it impossible for someone to see one episode (an entire episode mind you) of something and legitimately think its bad? The whole "you don't like it, just watch more" argument seems pretty lame to me.

Also WTF was with that crying radish with the face on it?

Anime is such nonsense...

Edited by Mandragore

Off-Topic too..

Knowledge. Read 1 page of a book and say it's bad then you've got a pretty lame argument as well. If you read the entire book and say it is still bad your argument is more valid, interesting and taken more seriously. One of it is an inexperienced statement (because you haven't seen it all, hence inexperienced) the other is legit feedback. Watching 1 Anime and thinking it is bad and judging all anime as bad because of it is also a lame argument. To not be misunderstood I am not saying "You don't like, just watch more", I am saying "You want to be on the same page and have something interesting to say about it? In essence: You want me to care what you are negatively saying about the anime or your opinion to matter in an intellectual/academic discussion? Watch more".

It is possible to read 1 page and legitimately think it's bad, but it holds nothing against reading the entire book and still think it's bad. You have... 0.1% knowledge of the series whilst I hold 90% of the series (don't know too much about the author). It is called prejudice and a famous quote to follow: "Don't judge the book by its cover". Like I said to someone else regarding anime you, Mandragore, look at Anime and think "Blegh!" instantly because you've already decided your opinion and you will not be swayed, because you've decided to have a negative attitude regarding it. That's that really.

If I would write a book instead, with only text, I might trick you into falling for the story and you'd be "WTF this is awesome!!" but the second your retina captures and calculates the information known to you as "anime" you decide that it is bad. Possibly because the little knowledge you have of anime and manga is mostly pre-occupied with the mainstream suck that is Naruto and Bleach. I love Naruto and Bleach but comparatively to what's out there in terms of manga and anime, Naruto and Bleach pretty much sucks. It is all in your head and how you decide to interpret the information given to you yourself.

To go back on topic, with manga in mind, this manga (I am a Hero, link below to text-wikipedia) could be an inspiration for a God of the Undead. A God who is raising the undead slowly but progressively throughout the game. A sense of urgency. Example: Every 10 minutes of gameplay someone turns into a zombie in the world~ kind of like you being in a village, doing some quests, returns and the town is under attack by the turned (zombies). It would stop when you slay the God or do some quests to stop it (related to necromancy/doctor/science/soul vaccine).

I am a Hero which started 2009. The Walking Dead started 2003, so "I am a Hero" is most likely inspired by that (I am a Hero is a "realistic" manga, there's no super humans,. In my opinion the Walking Dead comic has nothing on "I am a Hero" manga.

Edited by Osvir

Osvir, you could have summed all of that by saying simply:

"Anime is not a single genre. It consists of many genres and different art and animatiosn styles.

Watching one anime and saying anime sucks makes as much sense as watching 1 move and saying all moveis suck."

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Off-Topic too..

Knowledge. Read 1 page of a book and say it's bad then you've got a pretty lame argument as well. If you read the entire book and say it is still bad your argument is more valid, interesting and taken more seriously. One of it is an inexperienced statement (because you haven't seen it all, hence inexperienced) the other is legit feedback. Watching 1 Anime and thinking it is bad and judging all anime as bad because of it is also a lame argument. To not be misunderstood I am not saying "You don't like, just watch more", I am saying "You want to be on the same page and have something interesting to say about it? In essence: You want me to care what you are negatively saying about the anime or your opinion to matter in an intellectual/academic discussion? Watch more".

It is possible to read 1 page and legitimately think it's bad, but it holds nothing against reading the entire book and still think it's bad. You have... 0.1% knowledge of the series whilst I hold 90% of the series (don't know too much about the author). It is called prejudice and a famous quote to follow: "Don't judge the book by its cover". Like I said to someone else regarding anime you, Mandragore, look at Anime and think "Blegh!" instantly because you've already decided your opinion and you will not be swayed, because you've decided to have a negative attitude regarding it. That's that really.

If I would write a book instead, with only text, I might trick you into falling for the story and you'd be "WTF this is awesome!!" but the second your retina captures and calculates the information known to you as "anime" you decide that it is bad. Possibly because the little knowledge you have of anime and manga is mostly pre-occupied with the mainstream suck that is Naruto and Bleach. I love Naruto and Bleach but comparatively to what's out there in terms of manga and anime, Naruto and Bleach pretty much sucks. It is all in your head and how you decide to interpret the information given to you yourself.

To go back on topic, with manga in mind, this manga (I am a Hero, link below to text-wikipedia) could be an inspiration for a God of the Undead. A God who is raising the undead slowly but progressively throughout the game. A sense of urgency. Example: Every 10 minutes of gameplay someone turns into a zombie in the world~ kind of like you being in a village, doing some quests, returns and the town is under attack by the turned (zombies). It would stop when you slay the God or do some quests to stop it (related to necromancy/doctor/science/soul vaccine).

I am a Hero which started 2009. The Walking Dead started 2003, so "I am a Hero" is most likely inspired by that (I am a Hero is a "realistic" manga, there's no super humans,. In my opinion the Walking Dead comic has nothing on "I am a Hero" manga.

I have actually seen a lot of anime and manga in my time and I happen to think the vast majority of anime is crap and that the styles and themes it tends proliferates are crap, but you can like it, that's fine I'm not trying to convince you to agree with me and you like what you like. But really your ideas about gods would be a little more coherent if you explained them to us laymen instead of just plugging some anime.

Edited by jezz555

That's very true jezz. I'm bad at explaining and I don't want to do what I'm trying to explain injustice. I don't want my explanation to be a basis of prejudice, that's why I am referring you to judge the source information yourself rather than judge my words.

EDIT: What animes have you seen? *interest piqued*

Edited by Osvir