No.

I'm curious, is this opinion based upon your experience with mounts in other games? E.g. mounts in Oblivion, which were difficult to control and fight from. To me they seemed a positive feature in an isometric viewpoint such as the early Warcraft RTS.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

NO!

I could kill them from orbit with Exterminatus if i had the chance. Be purged by righteous fire.

Mmm, it will be most amusing for the party's task to be made most miserable by mounted archers that they can't run down on foot. Here's hoping it will happen...

Me thinks certain gamers have not learned proper respect for mounted cavalry because of modern history. :p

Edited by rjshae

depends on the exploration system in use. right now it sounds that they're going with a more traditional one with clickable hotspots on a world map where mounts wouldn't fit in. besides that integrating mounts into the whole fighting system would take too much time and ressources, therefore it's better to drop the idea.

depends on the exploration system in use. right now it sounds that they're going with a more traditional one with clickable hotspots on a world map where mounts wouldn't fit in. besides that integrating mounts into the whole fighting system would take too much time and ressources, therefore it's better to drop the idea.

Makes sense. They would need much more expansive maps than those used in BG/IWD for horses to be useful. But I'd still like to see it being used well by enemy combatants because of the extra challenges it would create. There's nothing like being run down by a mounted knight to make you feel not quite so all-powerful.

A - I would like to see mounts used in conjunction with traveling skills to move around the world map. While I also wouldn't mind mounted combat I just don't see that realistically being within the scope of something that could be funded with Kickstarter. It would simply require taking too much time and resources away from other areas of the game.

Exactly this. Mounted combat would be cool, but take too much resources and be tricky to get working right on this game format. Maybe some enemies might be riders and mounts counted as single units, but that's pretty clunky. Using them for world map travel might be perfectly possible, however. Ultimas did this.

Even if the world map is just clickable hot spots, the horses could be used to make travel faster if the game counted travel time, like MotB.

Edited by Kissamies

SODOFF Steam group.

I'd probably go with A. If it doesn't est up too many resources to implement and they're implemented as a way to speed up travel times on the world map, then I'd be fine with it. Otherwise, I have to agree that they just don't seem to fit well in 2D isometric gameplay.

Well they won't be able to travel in mountainous areas or dungeons, they'll need to be shod regularly and cared for by somebody with at least basic husbandry skills and though capable of great bursts of speed they can be overtaken by footmen in a prolonged slog. Thinking about it as a wandering sellsword, you'd be better off with the pack mule from Dungeon Siege, or an equivalent Eternity beast of burden.

So probably A.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

• 2 weeks later...

Oblivion and Skyrim both had them and I seldom used them.

1) Yes, if doesn't cost too mucj and they are useful. Can carry stuff, run from opponents, everyone can use the, that means if the player gets a mount companions get one too. You can cast spells while mounted as well as do archery and melee combat.

2) No if it is costly

3) No if they are mainly just eye candy

This sums things up for me as well. *tips hat*

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Mounts in Oblivion felt awkward to control and all they did was get you into trouble faster.

I like to think that a click and move game system like the IE series would work much better with mounts.

But no matter.

No... Too many points against it for so little gain (travel mechanic is foot + compressed map shortcuts like BG). ROI is nonexistent for mounts in an iso game like PE. So "E" for me. :biggrin:

For people who want a significant, complex implementation of mounted travel and combat, go play LotRO with the Riders of Rohan expansion coming Monday, where it actually makes sense in that setting. (Of course, you can't get access to mounted combat until level 75, so.... heh.)

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

No... Too many points against it for so little gain (travel mechanic is foot + compressed map shortcuts like BG). ROI is nonexistent for mounts in an iso game like PE. So "E" for me. :biggrin:

For people who want a significant, complex implementation of mounted travel and combat, go play LotRO with the Riders of Rohan expansion coming Monday, where it actually makes sense in that setting. (Of course, you can't get access to mounted combat until level 75, so.... heh.)

Yes, that seems to be the majority opinion. Facing mounted opponents though is another matter entirely. Giddy-up. :cat:

Not sure ... I cannot imagine a whole party of 4-6 folks on mounts implemented in a way that

- makes sense (transport: did somebody miss horses in Baldur's Gate or Planescape? combat: mounted combat is FAST - combat in PE is supposed to be turn-based ... I'm not so keen on seeing characters on horses standing motionless next to an enemy, waiting for their turn)

- does not take away resources from other, more important areas of the game (just think of animations and what was said about grappling)

I'd like to see them implemented in at least an overland map or fast travel capacity...

It's a stretch of the imagination that an advanced civilization in the high medieval period goes around on foot all the time and hasn't domesticated any animals with which to ride upon.

and what about mounted goblins and stuff like that? shlts real cash man.

Edited by NerdBoner

I'd go for A.

I do like the idea of mounts in RPG's. However, as Obsidian have stated they're going for the IE feel in their games, I don't believe they have a place in PE as something for the party to mount and use. Including them as a method of "Fast Travel" may work... but again, I'd be concerned this would detract from the IE feel.

at the very least I'd like to see some mounts parked in a stable and some cattle here and there even if i can't purchase or use them...

Domestication of animals is a crucial point of development for advancement of a civilization...its essentially why the native American cultures never advanced beyond a certain point depiste inhabiting the western hemisphere for over 10,000 years+

Mounts are nice, but you're never needed their advantage to win. You & your companions are fearsome warriors, don't you? :yes:

- With this exception: Ever since animals became tamed enslaved friends of more intelligent forms of life, they have been used for cargo. If blood of latent merchant flows through your nobleman's veins, and your world full of NPC merchants and grandees, you may hit the road with a cart attached to your fellow mount. This quest is not for hot-blooded romanticists, your soul have to obey your mind and to be attached to your wallet, pal. :thumbsup:

- Personally i won't mind if developers will include hippodromes, where nobility will squander their last "coins of account" (such a brilliant term from wikipedia). Or even participate in jousting tournament (after a glass or two of 21+).

Edited by turboprop

מְנֵא מְנֵא תְקֵל וּפַרְסֵין