Mental vs. Physical stats  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favor of the division of stats discussed below?

My making each attribute usefull, by making skills non-class dependant and by making high attribute stats expensive, you'd start seing more rounded characters.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

So... basically something like Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines' division between social, mental, and physical stats.

I'd be okay with that. It's not necessarily my favorite...

Why specifically?

Does that matter?

I don't think he's trying to argue with you, I think he's just trying to learn what it is you didn't like about it, and thus get ideas for something better.

For example, saying that I don't like D&D style stat systems for CRPGs because it ties conversation stats (Int) to specific classes (Wizard), and thus limits your conversation options (if you chose to play a non-caster) or your class options (if you want to have all the dialog options), is a lot more useful than just saying that I don't like the system.

I certainly like the sound of the proposed system that separates combat skills from non-combat skills, so that one doesn't come at the expense of the other.

So... basically something like Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines' division between social, mental, and physical stats.

I'd be okay with that. It's not necessarily my favorite...

Why specifically?

Does that matter?

I don't think he's trying to argue with you, I think he's just trying to learn what it is you didn't like about it, and thus get ideas for something better.

For example, saying that I don't like D&D style stat systems for CRPGs because it ties conversation stats (Int) to specific classes (Wizard), and thus limits your conversation options (if you chose to play a non-caster) or your class options (if you want to have all the dialog options), is a lot more useful than just saying that I don't like the system.

I certainly like the sound of the proposed system that separates combat skills from non-combat skills, so that one doesn't come at the expense of the other.

I think they should somewhat come at the expense of the other. But as you said, it shouldn't encourage anyone who wants good non-combat options to be a certain class. Whatever disadvantage a warrior has for investing in non-combat skills, a rogue a mage and a cleric should have roughly the same disadvantage.

What about something like this?

Strength: does roughly what it always does

Dex: does roughly what it always does

Constitution: does roughly what it always does

Soul Attack: Basically does what int normally does for combat. Needs a better name.

Soul Defense: Basically does what wisdom normally does for combat. Needs a better name.

Skill: Increases the amount of points you get each level to invest in non-combat skills.

Charisma: Increases conversation skills or gives points to invest in social skills.

The last two could possibly be combined. What this does is force you to sacrifice a bit of your combat proficiency to be more proficient at non-combat stuff. But it does it in a way that doesn't favor any specific classes.

Edited by ogrezilla