2.0 million, Player House!

Omg, single best feature I've heard so far. I mean the whole game in general sounds great but I've always loved the concept of owning a home in game. Even as far back as Baldur's Gate and Diablo 2 I day dreamed about having a home in game to go to. I just hope there is more variety and more features to the player house than there was in Fallout 3. I'm really hoping that they make the 2 million mark, lack of a player house would be very sad.

Preferably I'd like as much home customization as they give in The Sims 3, but I've been saying for years all games should incorporate the features of the sims. Homes, marriage, jobs (in this case maybe a bounty board for monster hunting, or catching a thief, or something), reproduction, food and sleep needs, that sort of thing. A lot of games already have features like this here and there but not all in one place, besides the sims, but the sims isn't as great as a game like this.

• Like 2

i think its a cool perk but i never really saw the point in it except as a huge storage space for packrats...personally I'll be too busy questing and smiting to be playing homemaker so this is a take it or leave it option to me.

Now if there are interesting quests (even minor personal ones) tied in with home ownership then i'm all in. At the least i hope they throw us a few crumbs like they did with the strongholds in BG2.

edit: Crossroad Keep in NWN 2 and SoZ was badass i'll admit....but this is a player HOUSE, not player CASTLE haha

Edited by NerdBoner
  • Like 1

You got a home in NWN2. It just didn't last long! :p

Not the same thing, doesn't count.

Now if there are interesting quests (even minor personal ones) tied in with home ownership then i'm all in. At the least i hope they throw us a few crumbs like they did with the strongholds in BG2.

That's part of what I meant by more features. Also, since its a multiplayer game I'm assuming you could show off your house to friends online, like in Phantasy Star Portable 2. It's been years since I played but I'm pretty sure "Fatigue" has existed in rpg's of this type since Baldur's Gate one, except you had to sleep in a hotel (and pay money) or in enemy infested forests and such. A home would be nice to be able to sleep in, and eat in/cook food if you had to eat. You could also have crafting tables, or an anvil and fire place for blacksmithing or making potions. It would be a great place to keep books and paintings that you come across throughout the game that you like, but it takes up space you need for things that will keep you alive. Since the developer puts so much work into making those things in the first place, it would be nice if the player could enjoy them longer than the 5 seconds that they found it looked at it and dumped it to save space.

There are lots of other features it could contain but doesn't necessarily need to also. For example, the ability to buy multiple homes, and sell them. (real estate) Also renting a home. Buying land and building a custom home would be nice. If you need to eat, (not sure they'll add that feature) then why not be able to farm too? I mean you can already blacksmith, and sell the swords and armor you make, why not farm and sell those goods too. Some players might enjoy that more than others, but even the players that like it less, what are you going to do after you beat the game? This way you can continue playing and building your wealth and such. Or say you run out of money and items you need to survive at some point in the game, you could go home, grow some plants and sell them so you can repair equipment and buy supplies.

Edited by Branimir

I hope we get a choice to tell our companions to sod off, I am quite anti-social you know.

I put my feet up after a hard days adventuring with a group of smelly companions, I do not want an ear full of their obnoxious opinions when I am trying to sort all my luscious loot.

Edited by Aedelric

If a player gets a house, I'd like to see it used for a side quest or something rather than just storage and a meeting point for NPCs. How about getting robbed while being away or something like that? I just think that if there's effort going into a house, there should be some content besides simple inventory/party management.

You got a home in NWN2. It just didn't last long! :p

Not the same thing, doesn't count.

I think it is about what you can expect. Think along the lines of Neverwinter Nights 2 and Baldur's Gate II.

If you're thinking "Sims 3" levels of "Home", you'll be sorely disappointed.

t50aJUd.jpg

Also, since its a multiplayer game I'm assuming you could show off your house to friends online, like in Phantasy Star Portable 2.

Um, from everything I've seen thus far, the game is single-player. There's some discussion about them *potentially* adding some multiplayer functionality down the road IF they get enough money. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen any developer updates about this so far.

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

I've been saying for years all games should incorporate the features of the sims.

good god, my eyes are bleeding...

hey man be nice...I'm sure whatever he said can't possibly be bad enough to warrant such a reply.

I, of course wouldn't know, apparently my brain has somehow blocked his comment...some form of instinctual self defense mechanism to protect me from brain damage perhaps?

edit: no but seriously...no sims <_<;

Edited by NerdBoner

To be honest, the big house was always irritated me ...

I would prefer to see something like this:

5827e00a2ea65871f7693957dbb2a872.jpg

where would the static image with a frame around the object on the rollover. Say hit the chest in the background, a window opened where you can drop important but unwanted artifacts. Pulled the bag, threw rubbish there that automatically sold, etc. Cheap for the money to build, but very easy to use.

I want a castle, like Divinity 2. Someplace spacious where I can store my loot, do crafting etc. Somehow an ordinary house or inn just doesn't cut it. If you're going to go that route go big, or forget it. And did someone just say Sims ? My mind must be going I couldn't have heard that. What would be next, an Angry Birds type mini-game ?

• Like 2

I want a castle, like Divinity 2. Someplace spacious where I can store my loot, do crafting etc. Somehow an ordinary house or inn just doesn't cut it. If you're going to go that route go big, or forget it. And did someone just say Sims ? My mind must be going I couldn't have heard that. What would be next, an Angry Birds type mini-game ?

They really haven't given out any details yet that I'm aware of, but I'm going out on a limb and say the 747 cabin isn't on the list.

A stronghold is what I would like most with quests required to obtain it -- ala BG2.

Edited by SqueakyCat

No, this is just an example. A simple picture of a hot spot. Background can be easily replaced. just the basic idea is not to run from the corner of the house to the other corner. But all have in one picture in a convenient form.

It does not require many resources to development. Moreover, for each class, you can make your own background

They really haven't given out any details yet that I'm aware of, but I'm going out on a limb and say the 747 cabin isn't on the list.

A stronghold is what I would like most with quests required to obtain it -- ala BG2.

Definitely you wouldn't get your stronghold until you've completed a certain amount of the game. You should have to win your castle/stronghold, and it should take a great battle. But even if no 747 cabin, media room, jacuzzi it shold still be a functional place where you could have servants, do alchemy, enchanting, etc. It should serve as a focus point in later stages of the game, somewhere you can get back to quickly, like the respawn thing in Neverwinter Nights.

Next Stretch Goal - Player House at 2.0M adding quests, NPCs, companion hang out and more dialog, and a new store with new unique weapons, clothing and armor.

No actual details on the house itself but quests are mentioned. A store. Wonder if it will be player owned and produce some income.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I think a stronghold ala BG2 would be great. Its a great place to store loot, get quests, and craft items. Also, major non-companion NPCs can "chillax" there. Even if it doesn't end up being some great castle or sanctuary, a fairly plain house in which players can show off trophies or achievements would be great. I kind of like the idea of having a fireplace where above I displayed the heads of unique and legendary beasts I vanquished.

• Like 1

One idea would be to have the player acquire a broken down castle/stronghold that has to be repaired/improved through spending, acquiring certain items, completting certain quests etc. Kind of like Overlord. As you improve your stronghold it's functionality increases. Better forge means improved blacksmithing neans better weapons, armor. So not just a stronghold but a focus of development.

Edited by Dxmc4
  • Like 3