The Obsidian Order takes initiative

Hey fellow members of the Order,

I think it's about time to take the initiative.

For every before-and-after screenshot of an Order member's pledge raised another $8 I am willing to give you a 4-5 hour tour of Istanbul or assist you with a translation between english-german.

It would be cool, if others joined and provided their services for the merit of our beloved game.

What do you say?

Edit: On popular request I agreed to grant my services to anyone who thinks has a rightful claim upon them. (No questions asked!) If in any case, YOU think you could have some special talent, please let us know.

Edited by Alper

Sorry I might be just tired but I am confused what exactly you are proposing... I get the idea of screenshot of before and after but that doesn't stop people popping it back down after taking a screenshot. I am not saying people would do that I am just pointing out there is a loop-hole or flaw in the concept.

I will help you out with another idea though, fan created artwork for those who pledge x amount would probably be easier then say tours of Istanbul.

Though you may have to drop the proving pledge increase idea because like I pointed out it has flaws in it which is why the Order itself relies on honor system, trust in that people are keeping their word.

I am sure we have great (fan) artists on here who would be happy to design something for people who pledge say $5-$10 increase.

For example on Bioware forums we had a thread where people would suggest ideas and the fan artists on site would draw their ideas for them, you could do same here for people who pledge an increase of x amount.

Edited by Dragoonlordz

Hmm. Perhaps one should demand screenshots after the funding ends? I mean I am not too sure either, but I'll gladly help Obsidian or the Order in every way I can.

Edit: You might be right - I'm not very talented in concerns of design for that matter. I don't really expect lots of people visting Turkey any time soon, either. But if Americans, Europeans, and different people from all over the world joined the cause, we might have the chance of actually getting those few extra bucks.

Edited by Alper

I will help you out with another idea though, fan created artwork for those who pledge x amount would probably be easier then say tours of Istanbul.

Though you may have to drop the proving pledge increase idea because like I pointed out it has flaws in it which is why the Order itself relies on honor system, trust in that people are keeping their word.

I am sure we have great (fan) artists on here who would be happy to design something for people who pledge say $5-$10 increase.

For example on Bioware forums we had a thread where people would suggest ideas and the fan artists on site would draw their ideas for them, you could do same here for people who pledge an increase of x amount.

This is a cool idea. I'd be willing to pitch in--I need to work on my art some anyway. I'm not a GREAT artist (I'm CERTAIN others are better), but I can at least help get started.

I could do custom forum avatars for people--lots of folks on this forum have blank avatars. I could stick a little "obsidian order" logo in the corner, too.

Edited by PsychoBlonde
  • Like 1

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

This is a cool idea. I'd be willing to pitch in--I need to work on my art some anyway. I'm not a GREAT artist (I'm CERTAIN others are better), but I can at least help get started.

I could do custom forum avatars for people--lots of folks on this forum have blank avatars. I could stick a little "obsidian order" logo in the corner, too.

The question becomes should we have tiers of level or size of artwork relating to pledge increase?

Avatars $5, banners $8 and $10 or $15 for bigger size?

Edited by Dragoonlordz

The question becomes should we have tiers of level or size of artwork relating to pledge increase?

Avatars $5, banners $8 and $10 or $15 for bigger size?

If we make it official, we should have some kind of tiers. But until now, I'd say that anyone who provides services should chose for themselves. Just my 2 cents, anyway.

What could also be beneficial is people linking their own artwork for example their deviant art pages so those who commision avatars, banners and more from other fans here for the increase in their pledge will know the style of art the person they are asking to do it. I am thinking we can have a selection of fan artists on here offering their services for pledge increases of those asking for art done for them, a set price or offer based system (for increased pledges) depending on what they want done.

First step in this idea is getting a list of people willing to do the drawing for the purpose of helping out Obsidian via pledge increases to pay for that work.

So if we can get people to sign up to do the work then provide a link next to their offer of doing it showing style of art they have done in past.

From that point on myself and many others will commision via pledge increases to have something drawn based on description of what want.

I would do it myself but I am a cartographer not artist. So if any fan artists on here willing to do artwork for other fans here in order for them to increase their pledges and willing to link previous work they done so people at least have an idea what to expect then this idea could work.

Woooow! A real cartographer you say? What do you charge and what would you for the merit of PE? (Not that I do need a map in particular, but I have always been fascinated by the art)

Edit: I see that it was a stupid question now. What would you charge for a cloth map (medieval / fantasy style) of a quarter of a contemporary town by the size of 30x30cm?

Edited by Alper

I would do it myself but I am a cartographer not artist. So if any fan artists on here willing to do artwork for other fans here in order for them to increase their pledges and willing to link previous work they done so people at least have an idea what to expect then this idea could work.

Woooow! A real cartographer you say? What do you charge and what would you for the merit of PE? (Not that I do need a map in particular, but I have always been fascinated by the art)

I wouldn't call it art per se. It's just drawing using vector graphics combined with typesetting.

Here is low resolution sample of work I did for someone while back. I have to keep it low resolution because they paid for it so I have no intention of putting anywhere online for free what they paid for to be made for them. But you can see sort of work enviroment I use, though also do the pre-press PDF's using Quark and indexing all myself too. I wouldn't make maps for fans because I am currently working on a project for someone so don't have the time. What I will do is increase my pledge if there are any high quality artists here with time on their hands, them to draw something for me but I would like to see style of art they done in the past.

Edited by Dragoonlordz

Well, I don't have a DeviantArt page, but I do have some stuff posted if you want to check it out:

I do pencil sketching, painting, and I've knocked out a fair number of quick Illustrator portraits:

Like I said, I don't claim to be any kind of a pro.

Edited by PsychoBlonde

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

Well, I don't have a DeviantArt page, but I do have some stuff posted if you want to check it out:

I do pencil sketching, painting, and I've knocked out a fair number of quick Illustrator portraits:

Like I said, I don't claim to be any kind of a pro.

Seem good to me.

I will put my money where my mouth is. I will up my pledge for you to sketch of me in long trench coat holding a scythe, standing on like top of a hill at night. Do you remember stargate ring? Well behind me the Obsidian Project Eternity ring instead of stargate one. The moon behind that in night sky. I mocked up a 30 second doodle of sort of thing I mean.

Picture itself does not have to be big. As I do not know how it will turn out I think might be fair to decide how much increase pledge once done, For example if all that returns is matchstick figures I will up my pledge by $1, if half decent maybe around the $25 mark and if amazing then would be even higher.

Edit: Oh and don't forget to sign it and make it out to Dragoonlordz - Exorcist of the Obsidian Order, if you choose to do it.

Edited by Dragoonlordz