1.8 million and counting!

If Project Eternity is funded 5 million or more...  

154 members have voted

1. 1. What are the designers going to do with five million dollars?

• Buy a corporate yacht
    • Open a line of theme restaurants and nightclubs
    • Start their own cosplay style clothing line
    • Hire expensive dancers. All the time.
    • Start a cult. Three cults maybe.
    • Spit on Richard Garriott

According to the Games Credits of "Neverwinter Nights 2" around 120 people took part in developing that game.

A Game Developer should earn around 70k$/year - depending on experience even more. (I am aware that not all 120 people were Programmers)

So let's cut the wages to 50k. (Sorry guys)

We want Project eternity to be just as deep and minimum as big as NWN2, but not as flashy.

So let's water it down to 50 people..... (They just have to work harder...)

The scope of project Eternity is planned to be around 1 1/2 Years until April 2014.

Thats 3.75 Million for wages alone and - in my opinion - overly optimistic.

On top of that comes Office Rent, Voice Acting, Music Recordings, Software Licenses and much much more.

If we really want the game we are talking about to become reality 5 Million would be minimum in my opinion.

It's not going to be 50 people (Which is/was the size of the South Park team) or anywhere near it. 20-25 is more like it. And not all of these people will be working the entire time on it.

That is exactly what I am worried about. I have read the Interviews and I know that they want a small team to work on Project Eternity.

But depending on the funding they will add more people to the team.

So - unless we do not provide enough funding - we might not get the size of game we are expecting.

And that would not bode well for the funding of a sequel.

What size are you expecting from an indie game that will probably cost around 25$ on release and 10 dollars a few months later in a steam sales?

A game that is equal as long as BG2 or PST, Or longer depending on funding.

I think a 10 Million Budget would be sufficient for that.

I'm considering maybe, just maybe this game will only raise 2.8 million. They were only asking for 1.1 million to begin with and had every assurance they'd make the game. So 2.8 million would be something really, really special to them (and later on, to us).

Yet we've surpassed 1.9 million at this very moment. 1.9 million and counting. There's three weeks remaining to us. There's less than 50,000 backers. Will there be half a million, considering how many fans Knights of the Old Republic 2 had? Where are these fans now?

You know, I'm not even sure I'll be able to run the game on my little, inexpensive dream machine that I purchased around Christmas for less than six hundred on Amazon. Yeah, I'd get a new graphics card (around 100-150), but would that even work? The world is full of strange surprises. Maybe I'll sleep with Paris Hilton tomorrow night. Maybe I'll just get a car that eats curry sauce instead of gasoline and lightning. That's probably the secret, subconscious reason I want a stretch goal to be an ANSI rogue-like version of this game. So while the rest of you are kicking it on LINUX, blinded by a flurry of clawed rainbows and splattering blood, I'll be maneuvering my @ around a maze of #, fighting off alpha-numerics.

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

So while the rest of you are kicking it on LINUX, blinded by a flurry of clawed rainbows and splattering blood, I'll be maneuvering my @ around a maze of #, fighting off alpha-numerics.

That is only until your '@' runs into a vicious 'C' with a venomous bite or a bunch of 'k's ganging up on you... ;)

I don't know what the system requirements could possibly be, but I suppose checking out other games/projects that have progressed further down the path of using the Unity engine may give some pointers.

As for the money and what they get from it? Dunno. Maybe they had planned for a relatively basic game to introduce the settings and the mechanics and then anything extra would add content. No idea what reasoning or plans were behind the numbers.

Edit: It's 1.9m now :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2014 is no drama. I'm playing the old IE games right now on BG TuTu, which will take me up to the release of Company of Heroes 2. That means that I'll be spending twelve months up to my neck in T-34s, snow and dead Nazis. Then comes Project Eternity...

sonsofgygax.JPG

According to the Games Credits of "Neverwinter Nights 2" around 120 people took part in developing that game.

A Game Developer should earn around 70k$/year - depending on experience even more. (I am aware that not all 120 people were Programmers)

We want Project eternity to be just as deep and minimum as big as NWN2, but not as flashy.

The scope of project Eternity is planned to be around 1 1/2 Years until April 2014.

On top of that comes Office Rent, Voice Acting, Music Recordings, Software Licenses and much much more.

If we really want the game we are talking about to become reality 5 Million would be minimum in my opinion.

It's not going to be 50 people (Which is/was the size of the South Park team) or anywhere near it. 20-25 is more like it. And not all of these people will be working the entire time on it.

That is exactly what I am worried about. I have read the Interviews and I know that they want a small team to work on Project Eternity.

So - unless we do not provide enough funding - we might not get the size of game we are expecting.

You're making some assumptions here. Also the actual team of Planescape (-Marketing and whatnot) was around 30 people. (With Avellone as mentioned in another thread doing like 50% of the design work) Who again, probably not everyone worked full time on.

Also did you just seriously compare the size of BGII to PS:T?

You're making some assumptions here. Also the actual team of Planescape (-Marketing and whatnot) was around 30 people. (With Avellone as mentioned in another thread doing like 50% of the design work) Who again, probably not everyone worked full time on.

Also did you just seriously compare the size of BGII to PS:T?

I assumed that PS:T would be about the same size of BGII, but since I bought PS:T just yesterday I cannot tell.

Yes - I made some assumptions on the size of the team using NWN2 as an example, since manny people who didn't play

BG in the past might have heard of it or played it.

I am aware that this might not be the best title for comparison, but

the credits showed a wide variety of roles needed to develop a game and seemed credible to me.

I was just trying to empathize that every $ is needed for the game itself. I thought this thread could lead some people to believe

that "money would be wasted" above a certain amount of pledged money.

BG2 is the longest / biggest IE game by far. PS:T doesn't come anywhere near its scope. It is true, though, that people have no idea how much money is needed to develop a game. The $1,1kk Obsidian asked for is obviously the bare minimum. If they got 10x more I guaran****intee not a single penny would be wasted.

Edited by True_Spike

BG2 is the longest / biggest IE game by far. PS:T doesn't come anywhere near its scope. It is true, though, that people have no idea how much money is needed to develop a game. The $1,1kk Obsidian asked for is obviously the bare minimum. If they got 10x more I guaran****intee not a single penny would be wasted.

Yup

Though, honestly NWN2 is a bad comparison in many ways. The game was too big for its own good for one.

@Elfwyn: Ok, then.

Edited by C2B

I'm fairly sure that NWN2 didn't have around 120 people on its team (that's the size of Skyrim's team more or less) and I'm confused on how you reached that number. Did you count all the publisher people and testers working on it too?

Yes, because even Testers are assets that need to be paid properly. :yes:

I did however reduce the numbers more than enough to accomodate for people working simultaneously in more than 1 project.

I think they intend to test this game on their own (with the assistance of all who have Beta keys) and to use their own offices to program this game. With the machines they already have, I think they'll pull through with less money needed than five million. However, it might be that they still receive five million or more. After all, we cannot know all, we see so clearly as Tiax. Tiax will someday rule.

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."