Weapon fragments?

The weapons that you have to assemble are the most memorable. The likes of the Flail of Ages, the Equalizer, and the Gesen short bow were some of my most treasured RPG possessions, and I still remember them even after I've long forgotten the name of every weapon I ever used in Dragon Age.

• Like 1

There have been threads/comments asking for some sort of crafting before and if it came down to my opinion this would be the only kind of crafting I'd want in the game.

I don't want to pick herbs or mine for metals but finding a special pommel jewel, blade or bowstring in a dragons hoard that's always intriguing.

• Like 4

I would prefer following cryptic clues and vague historical hints about legendary items. It builds up their history and gives you something to do trying to chase them down. It makes them feel like a part of the world. Just randomly finding pieces and slapping them together was never any fun for me.

EDIT: I guess you could follow those leads to parts of a legendary item. A long as there is some historical context for the location of said pieces. Like finding an ancient, weathered journal where some hero tells about snapping his blade in the hide of a dragon. You can find the blade fragment without reading about it, but it would be nice.

Edited by Gurkog
  • Like 1
Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

A number of games (Torchlight/DS2/Rogue-likes) use the concept of item sets that improve in power when you collect all of the parts. Those can be fun as well, although they tend to turn the player into a pack-rat. Sets can double as items that increase in power as the class improves.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

A number of games (Torchlight/DS2/Rogue-likes) use the concept of item sets that improve in power when you collect all of the parts. Those can be fun as well, although they tend to turn the player into a pack-rat. Sets can double as items that increase in power as the class improves.

Meh, I think that fits better the hack&slash games, really. It feels to metagameish... I don't think it really fits a game like this.

What I'm talking about is about legendary items that you find in pieces (2-4 fragments), and when reforged are some kickass stuff.

I love hidden collections or fragments of long lost items. I will collect them obsessively.

Some ideas to consider:

Fragments of someones soul. Possibly a companions.

Artwork by a particular artist. Possibly starting a quest or revealing the location of a hidden artifact.

Ancient high tech gun. Not too game unbalancing, but it would be kinda cool.

The problem with item-sets is that in most games (except MMOs) where I've encountered them, they will be relatively weak when you finally get all the pieces because it takes too long to complete and now you're such high level that using other items will be better.

Collecting pieces for just one item though usually works better, since devs have more control over when you get it and can scale it accordingly. Also as some have mentioned earlier, they become more memorable.

ObsidianOrder_Viking_125px.png

Loved this in BG2 but I agree that it's better if you read some cryptic scroll that gives you clues to the peices locations and although its not necessary to read the scroll to get all the peices maybe osme of the peices are very hard to find unless you follow the clues.