Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Gratification in Acquiring Epic/Legendary Items

design unique items epic items items weapon shield artifact loot

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Poll: Gratification in Acquiring Epic/Legendary Items (406 member(s) have cast votes)

In what way should so called epic/legendary items be found?

1. By killing bosses. (245 votes [20.99%])

Percentage of vote: 20.99%

2. By stumbling over them in containers during quests. (56 votes [4.80%])

Percentage of vote: 4.80%

3. By doing side-quests that rails me towards the item as a prize or is given as a reward.. (177 votes [15.17%])

Percentage of vote: 15.17%

4. By accomplishing relatively cryptic tasks/requirements. (242 votes [20.74%])

Percentage of vote: 20.74%

5. By finding obscure references to them in lore and then deducing their location. (327 votes [28.02%])

Percentage of vote: 28.02%

6. By accomplishing obvious but difficult and time-consuming tasks. (93 votes [7.97%])

Percentage of vote: 7.97%

7. Other [explained in comments]. (27 votes [2.31%])

Percentage of vote: 2.31%

Vote Guests cannot vote

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

Psycho Hillbilly of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1034 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
To be honest, the only game that comes to mind in how "best" to do it is TES:Morrowind. Been playing that game for over 2 years now and since i dont look up locations but i have looked up the gear, ive found maybe a 3rd of all the arifacts and unique items.
it had a nice blend between gaining said artifacts from questing, coming across it somewhere out away from civilization, killing innocents, etc etc.

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2995 posts

A few comments to various questions and concerns:

* Treasure/unique item distribution will be IWD1/BG2-ish overall.

* Treasure is sometimes randomly selected from a list, but no items are created randomly.

* Weapons/shields/armor have a general bonus value generated by their quality (Standard/Fine/Exceptional/Superb) and by magical properties they may have.  This value roughly correlates to where we place them in the game relative to the expected level for characters in that area.  There is no other "player-facing" stratification of items like you might find in Diablo II/III or World of Warcraft.

* The crit path is not the most difficult content in the game, so the most powerful items of any given type are generally not on the crit path.

* We have a few "quest-made" items.

* We have class-specific items.  However, class-specific items are not weapons because, in my experience, players tend to have very strong feelings on what weapons they want their specific character to use most of the time.  If the "best" class-specific item for them is a weapon that goes against that concept, it can generate Bad Feels™.  A minor concern, but worth considering.

* Several companions have unique items that come with them (e.g. Pallegina's breastplate).  The player is not prevented from taking those items and/or enchanting/modifying them.

* You can add enchantments to unique items that you find.

• Leferd, Wombat, WorstUsernameEver and 7 others like this

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3799 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Can some items "grow" with time? Legendary items? Weapons become "famous" and can add to minor NPC reactivity?

Perhaps not as extensive as Fable 3 but... but in its most simplistic form, a concept, leaning in that general direction~

• Karkarov likes this

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3020 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I hope that each weapon type has more than one top-tier unique item. It would really suck to build a character around using a weapon type and finding out that the apex weapon was one that is unsuitable for that character, whether thematically or statistically.

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1776 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I don't want to take Pallegina's breastplate if she's a fun companion for my own godlike dark paladin. I'm really looking forward to this NPC. 

Wombat

Wombat

Obsidian Order's Mysterious Stranger

• Members
  • 1050 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

* You can add enchantments to unique items that you find.

It's been a while you mentioned crafting systems-will there be an update in that respect in near future?

* We have class-specific items.  However, class-specific items are not weapons because, in my experience, players tend to have very strong feelings on what weapons they want their specific character to use most of the time.  If the "best" class-specific item for them is a weapon that goes against that concept, it can generate Bad Feels™.  A minor concern, but worth considering.

I understand the concerns.  How about introducing class specific enchantment options in the crafting system?  For example, paladins/priests/monks may be able to enhance their weapons through rituals like binding "holy" spirits on them and/or taking an oath while someone like Druid may bind elemental spirits on them (Especially, paladin's case, this option can let the players make their own version of so-called "Holy Avenger").  Rangers may have some additional enchantment related with their animal companions.  Traditionally, wizard has their ways to add additional values on the existing items.  Even fighters can have their specific layer of crafting due to the soul setting although these cases may feel less dramatic, compared with religion/belief-based classes.  It would be nice to have a function where the players are allowed to combine their attachment to the classes of their characters with some unique items they found during adventuring.  I think, the soul setting can be a good excuse for such function.  Just my two cents.

JFSOCC

JFSOCC

Mentor & Student of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2255 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

That's a very good decision IMO, and I'm very happy to hear it. Too often in games you are forced to pick up an item that doesn't quite fit your character because not using it is tantamount to gimping yourself.

Vaeliorin

Vaeliorin

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 625 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

* Treasure is sometimes randomly selected from a list, but no items are created randomly.

This makes me happy.  This is how treasure should always be done, as far as I'm concerned.  Makes repeat playthroughs more interesting when you don't know exactly what you're going to get.

• Naesh likes this

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1367 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

all of the poll options at the same time

cryptic reference leads to a quest, that needs you to pass some sort of puzzle and fight some enemies and then you kill the boss. somewhere in the boss room there is a chest with the item. doing all of the above is the obvious but time consuming part

AlekzanderZ

AlekzanderZ

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

* Treasure/unique item distribution will be IWD1/BG2-ish overall.

I can rest in peace. BG2 item distrubution was great.

deathcoy

deathcoy

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 19 posts

I'd go with a few options combined:

For non-set Legendary, make it a extremely rare world drop. (I'd rather not have non-quest World Boss dropping Legendary, it should drop lower tier gears)

For set bonus Legendary, make it acquired through a string of epic quests that leads to killing an epic boss. (i.e. it is not farm-able and cannot acquire multiple)

Naesh

Naesh

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

>By finding obscure references to them in lore and then deducing their location.

This. Plus, i really would like this 'deducing from references' part to have at least a small amount of *replay value*. It certainly seems possible to make a riddle of some sort, that really requires nearly all parts of these references to be gathered. The treasure could be randomized, the riddle could be randomized (to some extent) in a way that without getting (more or less) each part of it, there are just too many possible locations to grind through / check.

As a bonus idea i think the best *randomized* way getting epic loot would be.... something that's influenced by the hero quests of King of Dragon Pass. (check it out)

Edited by Naesh, 23 June 2014 - 11:27 PM.

Hiro Protagonist II

Hiro Protagonist II

Ysbryd rhydd of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2582 posts

For non-set Legendary, make it a extremely rare world drop. (I'd rather not have non-quest World Boss dropping Legendary, it should drop lower tier gears)

For set bonus Legendary, make it acquired through a string of epic quests that leads to killing an epic boss. (i.e. it is not farm-able and cannot acquire multiple)

God no. None of that random Diablo type loot drops please.

• Infiltrator_SF likes this

Infiltrator_SF

Infiltrator_SF

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

Hidden and powerful bosses, mostly, such as the lich from BG2. But I do think that sidequests and "regular" bosses should have them too. Just don't put them in a shop with a 10000$ tag on it.

deathcoy

deathcoy

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 19 posts

God no. None of that random Diablo type loot drops please.

Hahaha, i love grinding. Good stuff needs 90% effort and 10% luck. But yea, not many people like it.

dr membrano

dr membrano

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 25 posts

It'd be cool to see consideration regarding replay-ability with this. If there were say 10 legends of mystical items in the world, it only seems natural that some of them would be fictional, right? Sawyer mentioned a drop list with random generation so it'd be cool if there were 10 legendary items in total but each time you play you could only acquire a random 7 of them if you played the game 100%, the remaining three would be proven mere legends. 

So;

Game 1

Boss A drops Item X

Boss B drops Item Y

Boss C drops Item Z

Game 2

Boss A drops Item Y

Boss B drops Item Z

Boss C drops Item X

But in all honesty I would prefer not to see any Uber items. I think an enchantment that could be attached to ANY item would be more fitting with open-ended roleplaying. If instead of always having to kill the dragon for the Golden Axe of Brutality you could, by your own choice, be using the Iron Mace of Brutality or shooting from the Crossbow of Brutality.

• Silent Winter likes this

Silent Winter

Silent Winter

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1593 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

But in all honesty I would prefer not to see any Uber items. I think an enchantment that could be attached to ANY item would be more fitting with open-ended roleplaying. If instead of always having to kill the dragon for the Golden Axe of Brutality you could, by your own choice, be using the Iron Mace of Brutality or shooting from the Crossbow of Brutality.

^This would be cool - an 'epic enchantment' for your weapon/armour of choice.

So you could quest for the recipe (perhaps needing to find the scroll and the ingredients) but apply it according to your character's needs.

Suburban-Fox

Suburban-Fox

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 113 posts

Legendary items should be hard to find, and you shouldn't easily stumble upon them.

However, in order to be worthwhile, they have to be significantly better than everything else. There's no point getting excited over a +4 longsword when you can buy a +3 longsword in the shops (and a +5 longsword in the next location you visit).

Edited by Suburban-Fox, 25 June 2014 - 02:44 AM.

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3116 posts
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The way items will be placed is pretty much already done regardless.

My concern at this point is that maybe there will be too many legendary items considering the fact that all backers past a certain point may have had a chance to make one.  That and there will be no legendary swords (I like swords, sue me) since Obsidian said "please suggest something other than a sword" and as a result almost no one suggested one apparently.

Diseasedyak

Diseasedyak

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 4 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I like the idea of legendaries, but they should be uber rare, and very hard to find.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: design, unique items, epic items, items, weapon, shield, artifact, loot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users