Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Gratification in Acquiring Epic/Legendary Items

design unique items epic items items weapon shield artifact loot

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Poll: Gratification in Acquiring Epic/Legendary Items (406 member(s) have cast votes)

In what way should so called epic/legendary items be found?

1. By killing bosses. (245 votes [20.99%])

Percentage of vote: 20.99%

2. By stumbling over them in containers during quests. (56 votes [4.80%])

Percentage of vote: 4.80%

3. By doing side-quests that rails me towards the item as a prize or is given as a reward.. (177 votes [15.17%])

Percentage of vote: 15.17%

4. By accomplishing relatively cryptic tasks/requirements. (242 votes [20.74%])

Percentage of vote: 20.74%

5. By finding obscure references to them in lore and then deducing their location. (327 votes [28.02%])

Percentage of vote: 28.02%

6. By accomplishing obvious but difficult and time-consuming tasks. (93 votes [7.97%])

Percentage of vote: 7.97%

7. Other [explained in comments]. (27 votes [2.31%])

Percentage of vote: 2.31%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Rabain

Rabain

Knight Hospitaller of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
DAO tried to do bandits seeing you as stronger than them though it was usually a dialog stat check of some kind.

Personally I think DAO could have had a great item system if they had stopped at tier4 and didn't add super powered items for free via DLC. Some of the DLC actually just got dumped in your bag at level 1 even though you needed level 10 just to get your stats increased enough to wear it, after that you didn't need any armor from anything for the rest of the game. That was totally broken system of gear.

But if they had of kept at Tier4 and lower most gear had positives and negatives, bonus to armor, penalty to fatigue, bonus to fire resistance, penalty to cold resistance etc as well as various combat bonuses that made choosing a harder decision.

Perhaps talking of legendary items is bad because it puts us all in mind of games like diablo or warcraft. Just have more powerful weapons in hard places to reach or in parts, like BG2. Bottom of the Endless Paths for example.
  • lolaldanee likes this

Rocketbean

Rocketbean

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Rocketbean
  • Xbox Gamertag:AkA Viral
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Legendary weapons should be far and few in between, with much difficulty in obtaining them. Simple as that.

jivex5k

jivex5k

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
And they should all talk.

Domigorgon

Domigorgon

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Also, I'm thinking if there are legendary weapons - don't make only longswords. I don't know the exact count, but I always felt that in Baldur's Gate I was being punished for taking halberds as my weapon of choice. By the time I got to a nice halberd, I'd sold about two of every other weapon (legendary, too).

Also, if NPCs come with their custom 'only x can wear it' weapons and armor, make it possible to upgrade said custom items. Otherwise their "grandfather's sword" will last only a few levels, by which time I'll have found something better. Poor grandpa, had he only known.
  • aluminiumtrioxid, Death Machine Miyagi and PieSnatcher like this

begginfokillz

begginfokillz

Reprehensible Eagle Scout of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Also, if NPCs come with their custom 'only x can wear it' weapons and armor, make it possible to upgrade said custom items. Otherwise their "grandfather's sword" will last only a few levels, by which time I'll have found something better. Poor grandpa, had he only known.

if grandpa had been around, this would happen:

Scene: Cottage in woods. 

*sound of thunder and rain can be heard outside the cottage. Grandpa is sitting in his +7 chair of divine comfort. Timmy enters the room* 

"grandpa, i want to go play at the inn, but its too far and its wet..."

*Timmy starts to cry. Timmy gets on his iScroll and tweets #justRPGproblems"

*Grandpa wakes up from his nap. he is pissed* 

"Listen here, Timmy. Back in my day we had to walk 15 miles up hill in the pouring rain to get to the inn, just so we could sell our meager loot to the patrons for scraps of meat!. ah, they were the good old days. Why, i even got a sword. look here, lad"

*Gramps gets off his chair, and opens a little frail box placed conveniently in front of the chair. dust spews out, and he pulls out a disgusting dented and cracked sword*

"this here thing is my old sword. lasted me all these decades. got it when i saved 3 maidens from the curse of virginity in one session at the bard's collage. I have grown old and wise and...eh, what was i talking about, eh? i think i need my prune juice of +1 memory.

*grandpa drinks the juice*

"Ah yes, the sword. i call it... Granny Blade. it has served me well for many many decades, now i want you to have it. Let it serve you well, lad. i love you Timmy. go forth and slay stuff with it!"

*Timmy stares at the sword, uncomfortable*

"Gee thanks grandpa, but i'm fine.  I appreciate your offer to entrust me with the blade that has saved you many times, but I don't need your sword. I just found this dagger on the ground that talks and make me immortal. Thanks for the offer"

*awkward silence*

"Ach...My...My heart! Timmy...II have the answer to the meaning of life...it's...It's..."

*grandpa dies. Timmy cheers. Audience is shocked. Sad violin song is played. Credits roll. Close curtains*

The Sword. Directed by Micheal Bay

Bryy

Bryy

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 2748 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

All of the above, really.

joefitts63

joefitts63

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Crafting.

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2678 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

You necro posters!  Raising foul things from the dead with your dreaded animancy... I should call the town watch!

That said I missed this thread way back so...  Pretty much all of the above save random chance.  I should never just open a random box and out pops the Hand of Vecna.  Also "a long and time consuming but obvious task" sounds like a side quest, crafting, or researching it's location all rolled into one.... so not sure why it is even on the poll.  Anyway as long as all "legendary" stuff is hand placed it will be fine with me.

Randomthom

Randomthom

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Steam:Randomthom
  • Kickstarter Backer

First, I'm hoping not to see weapons put into categories such as seen in MMO & ARPGs, it adds another level between the player and immersion.

There should, in my opinion, only be two "levels" of weaponry, non-magical and magical.

Obviously magical items will vary in their effectiveness but I won't want to be looting bodies saying to myself "pleasebeapurplepleasebeapurple..."

Semantics aside, I believe that the most powerful items should be placed where realistically they might end up.

e.g.

King's armour

Dragon's hoard

In a statue's arms at the bottom of a long dungeon filled with monsters and traps

You get the idea, basically not the 1/1000000 found in a barrel situation.

Personally I found it bad enough for beggars in BG2 to be asking for a copper (1/100th of a gp iirc) whereas opening the nearest barrel would usually turn up 3-4gp that nobody seemed to miss.

• Kertys likes this

nikolokolus

nikolokolus

Bridge Troll of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1164 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

More important to me than how powerful items are collected, I do want to say one that I'm in the Gary Gygax, 1st ed. D&D, Dungeonmaster's Guide, camp regarding artifacts. There should be a cost associated with wielding world breaking power - an ersatz fantasy nuclear bomb. Whether that cost comes in the form of corruption, life-force being drained away, you must sacrifice a companion, etc. These things should freak me out a little bit when I find them and make me scared of their side-effects.

So however or whereever they are acquired, the most powerful items should hopefully fill me with equal parts trepidation and excitement.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5382 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I would have liked class specific legendary weapons. I think it would have added a lot of flavor to the various classes.
  • Lephys and Sarex like this

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7205 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I would have liked class specific legendary weapons. I think it would have added a lot of flavor to the various classes.

Piggy-backing on this(oink oink!), I'd like to see class-specific items that are actually quality items even if you aren't a member of that class. (That isn't to say ALL of them. I just want to see these instances, as opposed to never see them.)

For example, maybe a weapon grants you additional Focus gain if you're a Cipher, but isn't just "Hmmm, if you're a Cipher, this is totally worth it! But if you're not a Cipher, this sword is OBVIOUSLY SUB-PAR to every other sword I've ever found! u_u"

A lot of games do that. "You really don't want this item for any other reason than because it boosts a certain class's capabilities a bunch."
  • JFSOCC likes this

Orange Death

Orange Death

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts

More important to me than how powerful items are collected, I do want to say one that I'm in the Gary Gygax, 1st ed. D&D, Dungeonmaster's Guide, camp regarding artifacts. There should be a cost associated with wielding world breaking power - an ersatz fantasy nuclear bomb. Whether that cost comes in the form of corruption, life-force being drained away, you must sacrifice a companion, etc. These things should freak me out a little bit when I find them and make me scared of their side-effects.

So however or whereever they are acquired, the most powerful items should hopefully fill me with equal parts trepidation and excitement.

I like this idea, reminded me of morrowind's sunder and wraithguard. If you just happened upon a powerful weapon and all willy nilly picked it up without knowing its history, might be a bad idea. 

Kertys

Kertys

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

First, I'm hoping not to see weapons put into categories such as seen in MMO & ARPGs, it adds another level between the player and immersion.

There should, in my opinion, only be two "levels" of weaponry, non-magical and magical.

Semantics aside, I believe that the most powerful items should be placed where realistically they might end up.

e.g.

King's armour

Dragon's hoard

In a statue's arms at the bottom of a long dungeon filled with monsters and traps

Agreed, on both points.

I think items should be "unique" or "legendary" by virtue of simply being magical, but of course, that really depends on the setting. Eternity doesn't exactly sound like a "magic is rare and mysterious" world so I would understand if the game had a lot of magical items. Just my preference.

Outside of a clearly loot-driven RPG like Diablo, I don't necessarily want to have to kill/farm bosses for the best loot. A big scary dragon... is exceedingly unlikely  to poop out a Radiant Sword of Buttkicking upon its death. But a legendary warlord's sword? Okay. They should be obtained in ways that make sense. e.g., I would be happy undertaking a difficult quest to craft a truly epic item from something pulled off of a boss's body, like in the Witcher.

Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 899 posts

Clearly, the only legit way of acquiring a legendary item is sweeping the whole map pixel by pixel with your mouse curser until you find that one hidden ring under a random tree outside of the friendly arm.

• Chilloutman, Lephys, Endrosz and 1 other like this

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3037 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  1. I personally thought the crafting of the Black Sword in Forge of Virtue was handled quite masterfully.
  2. The acquisition of the Guarda Revanche in Betrayal at Krondor was very satisfying, mostly because of all I went through to reach that point.
  3. Arcane's Valour in the first Diablo was also quite nicely implemented.
  4. The acquisition of Lilarcor drew me in, despite it being designed for Minsc to counteract his cerebral shortcomings.
  5. Both the Nameless One's arm from the Lost incarnation and Justifier were similarly satisfactory in that one had to *know* them, rather than just acquire them, though the acquisition was quite nice. Thematically sound.
  6. The crafting in Arcanum was very nice on the whole, from stumbling on a fine revolvers makings at the crash site to reshaping Vendigrothian wonders, which i'd collected from all across the continent.
  7. The teleporter pyramids of Divine Divinity were an intriguing mechanic, that was nicely introduced, along with the holy weapons and silver armour of said game.
  8. A strange thing to say but I thought the lost and difficult to find weapons and armour of Sacred were also quite satisfying, Jason's panoply etcetera.
  9. Raven's Armour from the first Witcher, Aerondight, the Moonblade and Gvalchir were all very well introduced, though sadly rendered into trash in the sequel. That said I personally became more attached to the Red Meteorite steel sword I acquired quite early on in the game, powerful, useful, and quite hard to acquire the necessary ore.
  10. The family sword in Dragon Age was quite nice to acquire and keep, though obviously that necessitated enduring the sickly sweet and yet generically dull Cousland origin, and the weapon and shield quickly became irrelevant. The introduction of the Aeducan shield was far more satisfying in the superior Dwarven noble origin, a pity the Duster had nothing similar.

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2678 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Piggy-backing on this(oink oink!), I'd like to see class-specific items that are actually quality items even if you aren't a member of that class. (That isn't to say ALL of them. I just want to see these instances, as opposed to never see them.)

Just bear in mind they have already said all classes can use all weapons and armor.... so it would be sort of odd to say only a Fighter can use this particular sword!  If they have items that do give bonuses that really only help one class but can still be used by others than that is okay.  It would be nice if they do it in a way where the weapon isn't total trash to anyone not of that class, like Lephys said.

You do realize those "categories" only exist so you can tell how powerful the weapon is (relatively) at a glance without actually having to go to it in your inventory, open it up, and look at the details?  It is just a method used to let you know that you have picked something up that is worth taking a look at.  That said it is also there for loot driven games where you are looting something like every 5 minutes.  It probably isn't needed in Eternity simply because I doubt you will be pulling out magic axes off every other guy you kill.

PrimeJunta

PrimeJunta

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I would like to have a few highly powerful weapons present in the game. I would absolutely not like them to be as common as they usually are in current games.

I think acquiring one should be a special event. Distributing them with random loot is not much fun. Fighting a big powerful plot-important meanie to walk away with his sword can be fun, but that's what you do like, in every cRPG ever so I'd prefer they do something a little different, at least some of the time.

Some ways of gaining special weapons that I've enjoyed:

• Hunting for them by following clues in Morrowind
  • Finding pieces to assemble them like in BG2
  • Sacrificing to a god to be granted one, like in NetHack
  • That one badass sword on top of the pyramid in Gothic 2 that I had to sneak like mad to get
  • Betraying and killing all your companions to bind their essences to something that used to be called the Scythe of Chauntea like in MotB

So yeah, that kind of thing.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7235 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

that may be more difficult with this game. if any class can fulfill virtual any role, it will be much more difficult to make viable class-specific weapons that is genuine useful. 

*shrug*

am preferring for uber-weapons to be rare, but we observe that have whelm, wave and blackrazor be the three legendary weapons is meaning that if you ain't a hammer, trident or sword wielder, you is kinda up p00p alley. am not certain why the legendary weapons, if they is rare, cannot be scripted so as to be appropriate to the main character.  

HA! Good Fun!

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5382 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

am not certain why the legendary weapons, if they is rare, cannot be scripted so as to be appropriate to the main character.  

HA! Good Fun!

That's an excellent idea. Blizzard recently revamped loot drops (but not all of them) in D3 to be tailored to your class and its really improved things.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: design, unique items, epic items, items, weapon, shield, artifact, loot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users