Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Gratification in Acquiring Epic/Legendary Items

design unique items epic items items weapon shield artifact loot

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Poll: Gratification in Acquiring Epic/Legendary Items (406 member(s) have cast votes)

In what way should so called epic/legendary items be found?

1. By killing bosses. (245 votes [20.99%])

Percentage of vote: 20.99%

2. By stumbling over them in containers during quests. (56 votes [4.80%])

Percentage of vote: 4.80%

3. By doing side-quests that rails me towards the item as a prize or is given as a reward.. (177 votes [15.17%])

Percentage of vote: 15.17%

4. By accomplishing relatively cryptic tasks/requirements. (242 votes [20.74%])

Percentage of vote: 20.74%

5. By finding obscure references to them in lore and then deducing their location. (327 votes [28.02%])

Percentage of vote: 28.02%

6. By accomplishing obvious but difficult and time-consuming tasks. (93 votes [7.97%])

Percentage of vote: 7.97%

7. Other [explained in comments]. (27 votes [2.31%])

Percentage of vote: 2.31%

Vote Guests cannot vote

LokiHades

LokiHades

Knight Drei of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Personally?

Boss Fights: Legendary enemies should hold legendary artifacts, but they should not be push overs.

Lore reference: Lore references should be a way to find them, though they should be extremely hard to locate without unconventional thinking, or while fulfilling a great challenge (clearing an entire haunted fortress and being rewarded with a single weapon or armor piece).

Morrowind's still my favorite example with daedric armor.

limaxophobiacq

limaxophobiacq

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Other - Who cares? Uber items are stupid, please leave that crap out of my old school RPG.

Given that powerfull artifacts are a staple of the fantasy literature that ultimately inspired the games, and the myths that inspire that literature, I don't really see how they're not appropriate.

khango

khango

In Memory of Genghis Khan

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Mostly I just hate the random container thing.

descalabro

descalabro

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
There should also be items hidden inside very narrow spots on treeholes, or under rocks or inside table legs the way we had in IE games. Those were really cool to find, but I think they shouldn't be highlight-able like they were in IE games. They should be either found with the use of trap detection or simply by noticing something strange within a particular spot on the scenery. I found a few this way in IWD and IWD2.

Poolp

Poolp

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Leendary stuff should be seomthing obviously unique, with obviously a story that makes it legendary.

As to where it's found... well it should mainly depends on the lors of who used to posses it or where it was last seen or if the owner was found dead drunk and lost his weapon one day...

max8472

max8472

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I would prefer a world without too much magical items/legenday artifacts. That said, really powerful items should be acquired only through quests, defeating powerful beings (like an ancient vampire, a demilich or a dragon).

Lohi

Lohi

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Of course, everyone knows that you find epic items by checking the walkthroughs online...

Or if you replay the game they're in the same place; it'd be interesting if the items were not always found exactly the same way on replay, or that the item/location changes depending on some early actions or player background/skill/class.

Stiler

Stiler

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
To me, finding a rare/legendary item , be it a weapon or piece of armor, is far better "Rewarding" when it's more of a secret and not a "random" loot drop.

For example, lets say within the game there are various "books" and things you can read. Now you are reading a book and within the book it talks about a once great fallen hero and his magnificent suit of unique armor that gave him power. Throughout reading the book you are given clues, it talks about where the hero was believed to have fallen in battle, it gives you a more detailed clue, something along the lines of "Utop the highest ridge the hero was thrust with a spear and fell to his death below into a gorge.".

You then go to that area it mentions and look for that area, you find this large ridgeline at it's highest point and travel directly below it. you then have a little hunting around it and find a small opening at the base where you can move a rock and enter a long hidden cavern.

Upon entering it you travel the tunnels and discover that the fall did not kill him because of his armor's powers, however he was trapped within the caverns. You see various paintings nad things along the walls that he made trying to leave behind his story for anyone that found the place and at the end you find his body sitting in ia makeshift stone chair still wearing his armor.

To me, finding something that way is far more "fulfilling" of a way to find some truly great item then it is to just roll the dice and have it randomly drop.

Silver6986

Silver6986

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

All of the options are fine, as long as the chests are also from bosses'. But no randomized loot, grinding should be avoided to become neccesary for anything(other than grinding). And no crafting(especially by the player). If a smith can suddenly create an Infinity Plus One Sword or similar, the materials better be unique and really hard to find/aquire.

I remember in NWN: Hordes of the Underdark, there was a smith that could create almost anything ├╝ber for you, it felt rather lame in comparison to say Cespenar in BG: Throne of Bhaal where you had to find items or artefacts to combine them to make uber items, much better system imo.

Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Grey Eminence of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I'd like to see something similar to the process of putting Crom Fayer together in Baldur's Gate II: SoA. It was hard enough to get to justify the power of the item, not to mention that you couldn't just get it in the beginning of the game due to the location of some of the required materials.
  • sparklecat likes this

Falkon Swiftblade

Falkon Swiftblade

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I think there should be multiple ways to find them, it might make sense for a character to best the owner of said weapon in order to win it. Yet, if it's really a legendary weapon, it probably should be legendary and there should be a series of quests to find clues, or parts to rebuild it. I think there should not only be legendary weapons and armor, but rings and amulets as well. I'm also fond of items in pairs, such as a pair of bracers that one does something, while the other does something else. Or I like having the opportunity to craft my own legendary item and choose how to build it. Do I want to take a broken blade and turn it into a new long sword, or two daggers, or use the raw materiels and melt it down and craft it into a special helm. I'd prefer it to also have the option to have legendary items for pacifist characters too. Not everyone should have to die in a cloud of blood and chunks, or burn into an ash heap.

Umberlin

Umberlin

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 545 posts
I mentioned before that I have no interest in seeing Epic styled weapons at all.

-

I prefer minor magical weapons being the high point, and being rare with no 'guarantee' you'll get them.

I don't want it to be given that if you defeat a big boss that you'll get a magical weapon or armor peice. I don't want the combat to be the focus like that. This is an RPG, make it that. Make the twists, turns, challenges, riddles, discoveries and all the trials put in front of you be made up of far more than just, "Defeat the boss and get a chance for one of several purple drop." That's . . . not engaging. That's not an RPG. That's a slot machine that you have to kill.

I don't want the, "Magical Sword of +50 Tacky Visual Design" being the end all result of overcoming the various trials in front of the character. Magical weapons should be minor, and rare in my mind. I'd rather have a magical item, of any sort, be the result of a storied experience, and a challenging experience. The story shouldn't 'just' be plastered on the item, it should be something you uncover, and earn . . . a thing you get to know more about slowly as you go. As you overcome varying trials that do not have to be about combat at all, they can, but don't make it about that. Not a random magical weapon. Not an 'epic' and idiotic looking weapon. A storied weapon that you've gotten to know much like you'd get to know an interesting character.

Interesting is the key there, an interesting story that intriguing and engages the player, that draws them through various trials as the story unfolds/is revealed. And then there's a mystery. Solving a mystery and uncovering something lost is a wonderful staple of a lost artifact. For me that's what a magical item should be . . . interesting. Made out to be as deep and interesting as a well developed companion character.

Edited by Umberlin, 07 October 2012 - 08:09 AM.

harhar!

harhar!

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I like strong weapons being found on alternative, strong bosses, which you can find through the lore of the game. There could also be seemingly weak weapons, that you can power up through the course of the game. "Legendary" items should be very rare however and don't even think about labelling them like in WoW.

Edited by harhar!, 07 October 2012 - 07:51 AM.

Adauli

Adauli

Red Wizard of the Obisidian Order

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
In my opinion would be by killing bosses contradict the efford of OE to also give non combat paths to reach the same goals.

Edited by Adauli, 07 October 2012 - 09:11 AM.

Utukka

Utukka

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 115 posts
Why not have a mixture of all the above? A "legendary" item doesn't mean it has to be the end all be all of items(although it could be), it could just be something like a thief known for being able to crack any lock and it just so happens that it's due to a piece of equipment he had, which he could still be alive and you have to find or maybe he was killed and the item was taken or maybe it's even buried with the thief. I imagine in a real world that some of these items would be discovered and relocated or potentially even be in use already by someone else. Items in real life have been lost and relocated several times in history through wars and looting(just ask Iraq or Egypt for example). Items could also be like said, locked away in some vault that has yet to be discovered that also has a dragon or some other mythical "guardian" ready to kill you. I'm not a fan of items always being 100% random but I'm also not a fan of knowing exactly where to go as soon as I've played the game once. Hence, a bit of all the above would be most satisfying in my opinion.

Lv99Wizard

Lv99Wizard

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 38 posts
I put down "by deducing their location from lore" but it's a very hypocritical choice because I always use guides and walkthroughs when I've actually played IE games. I feel so ashamed :(

Shadowless

Shadowless

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I put other because most of the ideas sound pretty good but I dislike the idea of just finding them in random containers (unless it looks like worthless junk and nobody knew it's value) and I also dislike the idea of them being given as a reward (Here you go mighty adventurer that just murdered what I couldn't with this Vorpal Blade +98 that I just happened to have lying around) unless it was actually gifted beforehand (silly villager thanks bye!) and would be very useful against the undead horde in the quest. All of the others seem fairly fine to me since I would expect the leader of the necromancers to have some artifact that allowed him to keep that position, I do have to mention that looking for them based off the lore of the game does pique my interest the most though.

Teahive

Teahive

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I like the idea of items with associated lore, but those items should be rare and manually placed. Some might be held by powerful NPCs and can be obtained by defeating them or helping them, while others are well hidden, And they don't necessarily have to be more powerful than everything else, though they are likely of high quality and they might have a very specific unique bonus/ability that is consistent with the lore.

I also like the idea of items gaining special status by using them while performing a heroic feat.

Zu Long

Zu Long

Master Shugenja of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
My opinion is this- if you're going to make a legendary item, there need to be legends about it. One of my pet peeves is that often you learn about the "lore" behind an item immediately after you get it, like there was a carfax report taped to bottom of it or something. A legendary item should have a history attached to the area it's found in, and you should be able to run across mentions of it fairly easily when you're in that area. Then when you find the quest to get it or fight the boss who has it or encounter the riddle it's hidden behind, you'll know what you're looking to get.

My way of implementing this into the game would be a "rumors and stories" option at the various inns and taverns you encounter along the way. Mixed in with more mundane things like main story info and side quests would be tidbits about items you could find in the general area and where you might go to find out more.

By the way, people hoping these things will be rare may be disappointed. From kickstarter rewards alone, there are going to be at least 57 player-created items, nevermind the developers themselves.

Domigorgon

Domigorgon

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
It would be great if we found legendary items and NPCs responded to that. I mean, if the sword Carsomyr is such a friggin important peace of lore, why doesn't anyone "notice" that Keldorn is wielding it?

Finding legendary items should count just as completing quests. The world should react to that.

It would also be neat if enemies (in random encounters, for example) checked out our equipment first. Imagine a group of bandits ambushing our party, only to discover that we are a lot better equipped than they are. So, instead of being confident that they can defeat us, they should be the ones to give up their money if they want to live.
  • sparklecat likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: design, unique items, epic items, items, weapon, shield, artifact, loot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users