How much of the story do you want to know and discuss ahead of time?

How much of the story do you want to know ahead of time?  

202 members have voted

1. 1. How much of the story do you want to know ahead of time?

• Everything. I want to feel like I'm part of the development team and discuss all the story elements before they make it into the game.
    • Most. I want to know about and discuss the key twists and turns, but still have some things left to discover.
    • Some. I want to know about and discuss a few tidbits ahead of time, but no major spoilers.
    • None. I don't want to see or discuss any elements of the plot ahead of time. I trust you, Obsidian, so surprise me!

I won't mind knowing how it starts, as in 'the first ten minutes'. Otherwise DEAR GOD DO NOT TELL ME.

I wouldn't. The first 10 minutes are usually the hook, the thing that grabs you and gets your attention. Think of Torment, and how the wonder and confusion over the beginning would be lost if you knew all about it ahead of time. I want it all to be a surprise.

I'd like the developers to spoil everything in exhaustive detail. Of course, I quite often use walkthroughs as reviews of games that I'm considering purchasing, and I doubt many people do that either. :)

My feeling is that Oblivion should create several forums:

1) A "Mechanics" forum: Discusses the mechanics of the game -- classes, races, weapons, spells, and the like.

2) A "World and Lore" forum: Discusses background, organizations, important places, and so forth.

3) A "Mild Spoilers Storyline and Plot" forum: Discusses the plot in generalities -- for example, the developers might post about "Strongholds" and the mechanics that they are using (which spoils the fact that there will be at least one stronghold), but not discuss the actual details (when you get it, are there several possible strongholds, etc.)

4) An "Everything Goes Spoilers Story and Plot" forum: Everything that doesn't fit into the other forums, including things like "You meet up with XYZ and he betrays you in the final act."

Then everyone can choose the amount of spoilage that they want. :)

I voted some, but am now leaning more towards none.

I wouldn't mind hearing a basic overview of the world, or some of the factions vying for control over said world, but I don't want to know details that I'd otherwise learn as I play the game. And definitely no spoilers for major plot points or major characters who appear.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Dear OP,

I'm not worried about companions.

I'm not even mad worried about the story.

But I'm somewhat worried about game themes and world *cough* tv tropes and other fanaticisms *cough*

And I'm worried about the mechanics.

My main concern is having Tim forced to do things in a certain way to please a broader crowd.

World/Location/Item lore, art of all kinds and game mechanics are things that I would like to see in further updates and then later, discussed while the game is in production.

Anything about the plot and plot-related lore should be discussed as rarely as possible, preferably never.

I am on the fence about companions and other important characters. How they look, their class and some basic information about them would be probably ok, but nothing more than that. (alternatively when discussing characters DON'T say outright that said character is an important NPCs, companions or possible foes. Just post the art and the information. That should keep spoilers at minimum and allow for surprises in the future.

My main concern is having Tim forced to do things in a certain way to please a broader crowd.

The whole point of the KickStarter is to not have to do things in a certain way to please a broader crowd.

Well by looking at your post count I assume you've been around for a while and seen your share of "disagreement".

Yes, I know this is not about making "my" or anyone's game, but I do see two different groups of people here.

The ones who want a more old school gameplay (influenced by PST, FO1/2, Arcanum, ToEE, IWD1/2, BG1/2), and the ones who want... well... a PC biowarish gameplay (influenced by BG2, ME1-3, DA1-2, tv tropes, my little pony).

And so far none of us has seen the outcome of a KS videogame project.

I could be wrong, but it's the way I see it.

• Like 1

The whole point of the KickStarter is to not have to do things in a certain way to please a broader crowd.

Well by looking at your post count I assume you've been around for a while and seen your share of "disagreement".

Yes, I know this is not about making "my" or anyone's game, but I do see two different groups of people here.

The ones who want a more old school gameplay (influenced by PST, FO1/2, Arcanum, ToEE, IWD1/2, BG1/2), and the ones who want... well... a PC biowarish gameplay (influenced by BG2, ME1-3, DA1-2, tv tropes, my little pony).

And so far none of us has seen the outcome of a KS videogame project.

I could be wrong, but it's the way I see it.

Yes, there's been some disagreement and it could eventually mean that inXile and Obsidian will have to cater to a wider audience fund future games on KickStarter. If this project's reception is a bad one and the players discover that they don't really want what the developers have been talking about. But for now it's a non-issue, as Obsidian advertised roughly what they want and got the money for it, so they're going to make it. And the impression I've gotten is that most people are on board with the game's direction, with only minor differences here and there.

None.

Any information that isn't available to the PC at the moment of character creation is too much information. I specifically don't want to know the names or classes of any potential companions, or even how many there are.

God used to be my co-pilot, but then we crashed in the Andes and I had to eat him.