How much of the story do you want to know and discuss ahead of time?

How much of the story do you want to know ahead of time?  

202 members have voted

1. 1. How much of the story do you want to know ahead of time?

• Everything. I want to feel like I'm part of the development team and discuss all the story elements before they make it into the game.
    • Most. I want to know about and discuss the key twists and turns, but still have some things left to discover.
    • Some. I want to know about and discuss a few tidbits ahead of time, but no major spoilers.
    • None. I don't want to see or discuss any elements of the plot ahead of time. I trust you, Obsidian, so surprise me!

So this being a crowd-sourced project and all, the devs have already said in multiple interviews that they are going to talk us a lot more and a lot earlier than they typically do, and are even looking for input from the player base on game features. This poll is concerned with story elements specifically. How heavily do you want the community to be involved in the develepment of the story, and how much do you want to know about it ahead of time?

None! I feel like I already know too much. I had literally *no* idea about the story of Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment before I played them and I feel like this lack of knowledge enriched my experience. Ignorance is bliss, truly.

Edited by True_Spike
  • Like 4

Same here, I don't want to know about the plot. I would like to know about the world, setting, races etc so I can start getting a clearer picture of everything in my head. I wouldn't mind seeing portraits and short descriptions of each of the companions either (it might inspire fanart, which in turn may draw more people to the game). But again nothing too detailed or plottish about them.

I also wouldn't mind finding out how it starts either. Maybe just to tide me over till release. But other than that, no spoilers!!

None! I feel like I already know too much. I had literally *no* idea about the story of Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment before I played them and I feel like this lack of knowledge enriched my experience. Ignorance is bliss, truly.

Sometimes I wish I could forget those games just so I could play them again like the first time.

I also wouldn't mind finding out how it starts either. Maybe just to tide me over till release. But other than that, no spoilers!!

Sometimes I wish I could forget those games just so I could play them again like the first time.

You and me both.

Just a little bit about the general setup, but not actual story details. Some info about a companion or two, some background info. General info on some factions, that in no way spoils story. Maybe even some lore about the world, so we have something to discuss, but still not having to fear spoilers.

You guys do realize he asks about the story, not the setting, right? Two very different things.

Yep, exactly. Plot specific stuff, not just the setting in general. General knowledge of the world that our character should have in the beginning of the game isn't really a spoiler.

All I want to know are the basics and what my character will be expected to know starting the game. Nothing more or less. I don't want my first play through of Project Eternity to be like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2. If my character knows something, especially if it's important to the main plot, I need to know it. Otherwise, my character can't know it without breaking role-playing.

I'm immune to spoilers. I find more enjoyment in seeing the craft than being surprised.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

If I'm to be making an investment into this, I'd like to know I'm not investing in crap.

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

I'd usually say I want none whatsoever, but with the way this project is being funded (by the fans), there will need to be some feedback provided on a few general story elements on a broad scale. For example, it may be that they want to get feedback on a way to present the ending: as combat-only or with the possibility for a peaceful resolution, or as a battle with a single Big Baddie or as a battle with a crew of varied opponents with a leader. It doesn't give away spoilers, but it does provide a means of sharing info.

All I want to know are the basics and what my character will be expected to know starting the game. Nothing more or less. I don't want my first play through of Project Eternity to be like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2. If my character knows something, especially if it's important to the main plot, I need to know it. Otherwise, my character can't know it without breaking role-playing.

Yeah, that was pretty bad design IMO. Since we were given no background story on our character in the beginning of Kotor 2, I was all set on RPing him as a brash young Jedi, and instead he turned out to be a grizzled old general. A pretty big disconnect right there. The player should always be brought up to speed on everything that the character knows.

On this matter I completely trust Obsidian. Also, this is probably one of the only parts of a game that should not be influenced by outside factors, ideally. Once the fans start having a say over the plot, it becomes a custom-tailored soulless thing, made to fit a specific target group.

Setting and basic character outlines are a completely different thing. They can tell us about that kind of stuff, but I don't expect the community to have much influence over that stuff, either. Only give us tidbits that are unlikely to cause a fan reaction strong enough to influence their work.