What do you want to see as new stretch goals?

What do you want to see as new stretch goals?  

473 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want to see as new stretch goals? (your first priority)

• Larger world and more content (locations, factions, NPCs, quests, items)
    • More companions (more variety in race and class combination, different personalities)
    • More races and classes (includes subraces and prestige classes)
    • More replayability (more choices and consequences)
    • More text (dialogs; written lore in the form of books, texts and item descriptions like in BG)
    • Expanded voice acting (but still partial)
    • More and better artwork (more portraits for PCs and diversity for NPCs, also artwork for items)
    • More and better graphics and particle effects
    • More and better music and sound effects
    • Modding toolkit
  2. 2. What do you want to see as new stretch goals? (your wishes)

• Larger world and more content (locations, factions, NPCs, quests, items)
    • More companions (more variety in race and class combination, different personalities)
    • More races and classes (includes subraces and prestige classes)
    • More replayability (more choices and consequences)
    • More text (dialogs; written lore in the form of books, texts and item descriptions like in BG)
    • Expanded voice acting (but still partial)
    • More and better artwork (more portraits for PCs and diversity for NPCs, also artwork for items)
    • More and better graphics and particle effects
    • More and better music and sound effects
    • Modding toolkit

I voted for more C&C and more content, but that was because there was no "better AI" option. Better AI makes better opponents, better companions, better combat, higher difficulty levels wouldn't feel as cheap as they usually do (enemies health and damage x2 gets old) and it does also helps with immersion when AI doesn't act like a total retard all the time.

• Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I would like:

*Modsupport

*Being able to choose between real time and turnbased combat

*Bigger gameworld

*Being able to run you own stronghold (the mechanics for this would work as in the Stronghold games)

*RPG/RTS-hybrid. (that you eventually can become so powerfull that you have your own armies and do warfare on a macro level (this would be optional of course)

Edited by Potemkin

I like this poll, especially looking at the differences between one and two. Everyone wants everything: its nice to see what they really want most. :p

Me, it was a toss up between mod tools and replayability, though one sorta feeds the other.

Replayability, for me, means meaningful decisions throughout the game that affect the game world as a whole, and multiple endings. The more different a situation is every time through, the more fun and replayability. The more reasons they are, the better, as well. People welcoming or shunning you based on what you are has been mentioned, and I find awesome. But also things that simply do or do not exist based on decisions you made.

I don't just mean certain side quests were only playable if you do certain things. I'd like how the story of the main quest flows to change depending on how you play. (And, hopefully, on a more meaningful level then "Did you kick puppies or save orphans?")

To me, Chrono Trigger is a pretty awesome example of replayability, and I think one of the reasons is all the little things you could do, and ways you could see it directly affect a world. Planting a forest, giving someone food when they were starving and through that act, teaching their ancestors generosity (or the inverse) as well as, of course, a dozen different endings. Yes, a lot of the major plot points were the same, but it was on friggin SNES. It was before dialogue choices became a thing, but it was ok, because you spoke by doing.

I'd love to see more modern rpgs put a priority on actions instead of words, especially now in the time that engines can handle so much more complexity.

• Like 1

For me my highest priority is character creation options. How I view myself affects the entire game, and can give entirely different perspectives on the same events. I simply cannot ever have enough character creation options.

My second highest priority is the choices and consequences. These give the differences substance, meaning, and replay-ability. I also feel like developers these days (not just RPGs) are too afraid to use consequences. They are just as powerful of a tool as rewards, and without both sides of the coin a world becomes shallow and unbelievable. Villains and victims aren't secretly out to just feed you loot. Sometimes doing good is it's own reward, and sometimes it's the much harder path. Being evil and selfish might get you more gold, but you probably won't make as many friends along the way.

Although I am personally untroubled by co-op and mounts I agree that they are very good stretch goals. What was the old-skool isometric game that had mounts? They looked great.

I have articulated my favourites, i.e. a megadungeon, but I am also wondering if a really cool mega-enemy, an iconic villain and associated lair, might be a good stretch goal.

Like at XXXXXX pledge point we will introduce an epic quest to assault an ancient dragon lair: defeat it's cohorts, win it's hoard! (etc)

sonsofgygax.JPG

I like this poll, especially looking at the differences between one and two. Everyone wants everything: its nice to see what they really want most. :p

Me, it was a toss up between mod tools and replayability, though one sorta feeds the other.

Replayability, for me, means meaningful decisions throughout the game that affect the game world as a whole, and multiple endings. The more different a situation is every time through, the more fun and replayability. The more reasons they are, the better, as well. People welcoming or shunning you based on what you are has been mentioned, and I find awesome. But also things that simply do or do not exist based on decisions you made.

I don't just mean certain side quests were only playable if you do certain things. I'd like how the story of the main quest flows to change depending on how you play. (And, hopefully, on a more meaningful level then "Did you kick puppies or save orphans?")

To me, Chrono Trigger is a pretty awesome example of replayability, and I think one of the reasons is all the little things you could do, and ways you could see it directly affect a world. Planting a forest, giving someone food when they were starving and through that act, teaching their ancestors generosity (or the inverse) as well as, of course, a dozen different endings. Yes, a lot of the major plot points were the same, but it was on friggin SNES. It was before dialogue choices became a thing, but it was ok, because you spoke by doing.

I'd love to see more modern rpgs put a priority on actions instead of words, especially now in the time that engines can handle so much more complexity.

Chronotrigger is really an amazing game.

While I would be harsher when rating it today, it still stands up pretty damn well.

How about those team combos? :) Pretty damn cool and fun to unlock.

IIRC it's one of Chis Avellone's favorite games.

Edited by hideo kuze

It's all about the replayability for me. If my choices don't have actual consequences what is the point in replaying. I am a sucker for voice acting but I know that won't happen, so number 2 for me is just expansion on the content already in game. Meaing for me I would rather play 3 races that have had 100% of development then have 6 that have only had 80% or so.....

• Like 1

18hg6f.jpg?t=1350556308

The shadow in the corner of your eye. The cold steel pressed to your throat.

The beautiful vision that may be your last.

Do not breath, for the Petite Death has your Soul in her hand.

Romance - Not necessarily with a companion. But I want to be able have wife. Maybe like in Fallout. Then sold it to slavers and become a widower :dancing:

Oh yes please.... this would be awesome. It always seems to add a little something special to games for me. An extra way to be able to connect with the characters.

For me my highest priority is character creation options. How I view myself affects the entire game, and can give entirely different perspectives on the same events. I simply cannot ever have enough character creation options.

My second highest priority is the choices and consequences. These give the differences substance, meaning, and replay-ability. I also feel like developers these days (not just RPGs) are too afraid to use consequences. They are just as powerful of a tool as rewards, and without both sides of the coin a world becomes shallow and unbelievable. Villains and victims aren't secretly out to just feed you loot. Sometimes doing good is it's own reward, and sometimes it's the much harder path. Being evil and selfish might get you more gold, but you probably won't make as many friends along the way.

You can NEVER have enough character creation options/customisation in my opinion :)

Edited by Sugarjaye

18hg6f.jpg?t=1350556308

The shadow in the corner of your eye. The cold steel pressed to your throat.

The beautiful vision that may be your last.

Do not breath, for the Petite Death has your Soul in her hand.

Insofar as augmenting already-existing content (whether it's in a stretch goal or not), I'd like to see:

- Branching squadmate stories/loyalty quests, similar to Fallout: New Vegas. FNV had a lot of great branching storylines (your decision to help Lilly or not, Raul's backstory and your advice to him, letting Arcade Gannon wear his father's power armor, etc). Would add a lot of replayability, branch the narrative and impact gameplay. Make it possible to lose a squadmate or two permanently due to a loss of trust or event that shatters them during their loyalty mission.

- Alternate origin scenarios. Have the various races (being mindful that there could be at least 9 of them if the Barbarian/Cipher classes pan out), maybe with a short and unique origin, with everyone eventually making their way to a central location for the game's "catalyst" *(the event that starts the plot). May require more money, but if it was half as good as Dragon Age: Origins, it will be well-remembered.

- Replayability. Reward the player (either through alternate dialogue or an extra reward) for doing tasks before you're asked to, or completing missions in very-difficult/non-apparent ways. Deus Ex was the king of this - you could get all sorts of alternate dialogue if you killed someone or did a task before you were asked to.

- Consequences. Mass Effect 3 was heavily criticized for homogenizing every impactful choices in the game, to the point that nothing mattered in the end. If you do have a branching storyline, don't be afraid to lock out or change content based on whether you've made a good or bad decision. It increases replayability and makes the stakes feel higher.

- Romance. If you're doing them, give consequences for straying or being unfaithful (loss of trust/reputation), but don't give the Bioware-esque "if you sleep with me, I have nothing else to say or do in this game" variant. Make them matter, and have your partners give you special one-off items/abilities if you progress with them enough (sort of like the way GTAIV handled relationships).

New stretch goals I'd like to see:

- Modding toolkit. Can turn a decent or good game (Elder Scrolls series) into something excellent and replayable, or take an already-packed great game (BG2) and turn it into one of the best RPG's ever made. Throw the fanbase a Unity Engine toolkit, and they'll take care of the rest.

- Endgame content. Have it so that revisiting cities/locations after the final battle grants extra dialogue praising/hating you or extra encounters. Batman: Arkham CIty did this very well - two missions opened up after the main game, the enemy dialogue and menus changed to reflect your accomplishments, and already-existing conversations and encounters in the main game had unique variants if you waited to complete them.

- An expansion pack. Have a Throne of Bhaal style expansion pack (at a pie-in-the-sky $4 million funding mark), and include a 5-10 hour minicampaign, new craftables, a separate map/area (to greatly expand the size), a component that unlocks in the main game (maybe a unique dungeon a la Watcher's Keep), etc.

Edited by crazyrabbits
  • Like 1

I'm probably braving the fire here but I'd like to see coop as a stretch goal.

To bad that this wasn't in the poll. I really liked the way coop worked in BG2. Host controls the entire party and then friends could join and take over a party member. This would be the stretch goal that will make me look in my wallet for more money. So far the stretch goals has not been appealing enough (couldn't care less for localization at release which I think is a waste of money at this stage).

I'd like to see some guest contributors. It might sound trite, but I feel bringing new talent onto the team in some capacity will help generate increased Kickstarter awareness and support - similar to what inXile did bringing Chris Avellone in on their WL2 kickstarter. It really jumped their funding.

Shouldnt better AI be an option? If the fighting sucks with stupid mobs and bad pathing. it kinda make the game boring no matter how many tactical options you have for your party..

Well, I'm not expecting for fighting to suck. I think they'll get it at BG or IWD levels.

At this stage, Obsidian have covered most things I wanted to see in the game. The only things I'd like to see added now are more companions and a bigger world.

There's what, 8 companions as it stands? How about a stretch goal thrown in at $3.2m for double the companions!

They wouldn't all have to be absolutely core companions. with huge back stories and whatever, but still fleshed out to a certain extent. Like the more marginal characters in BG1 and 2 really.

• Like 1

Yeah, my thoughts as well.

If we were able to add 4 more companions (so for a total of 12) it would really be great and give lots of room for party composition and interactions.

Besides that I would also like for some nice PC/NPC portraits and artwork for narrations.