What do you want to see as new stretch goals?

What do you want to see as new stretch goals?  

473 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want to see as new stretch goals? (your first priority)

• Larger world and more content (locations, factions, NPCs, quests, items)
    • More companions (more variety in race and class combination, different personalities)
    • More races and classes (includes subraces and prestige classes)
    • More replayability (more choices and consequences)
    • More text (dialogs; written lore in the form of books, texts and item descriptions like in BG)
    • Expanded voice acting (but still partial)
    • More and better artwork (more portraits for PCs and diversity for NPCs, also artwork for items)
    • More and better graphics and particle effects
    • More and better music and sound effects
    • Modding toolkit
  2. 2. What do you want to see as new stretch goals? (your wishes)

• Larger world and more content (locations, factions, NPCs, quests, items)
    • More companions (more variety in race and class combination, different personalities)
    • More races and classes (includes subraces and prestige classes)
    • More replayability (more choices and consequences)
    • More text (dialogs; written lore in the form of books, texts and item descriptions like in BG)
    • Expanded voice acting (but still partial)
    • More and better artwork (more portraits for PCs and diversity for NPCs, also artwork for items)
    • More and better graphics and particle effects
    • More and better music and sound effects
    • Modding toolkit

For me, classes & factions=replayability, since I am generally prepared to do the same quests over and over again just trying out different builds, and roleplay means that I won't always side with, or even contact, every faction on one character.

I actually think, though, that setting these things as stretch goals is slightly arbitrary: this game won't ship for long time, and the ability of the developers to add MORE will depend on how much they already have. I don't necessarily want my 200 hour game to be a 300 hour game just because Obsidian hit a stretch goal. I'd like them to be able to say 'let's give each class another cool ability' instead of 'save that ability for the twelfth class that we promised'.

Similarly, having a new continent or race can be less interesting in the end than putting more work into an existing continent or race. It shouldn't be about feature creep and ticking boxes.

Right now if Obsidian wants to shake the tree a bit more I'd like to see more physical rewards in the mid tiers. I'm a bit of a sucker for collectable loot.

Edited by Sordel

Toolkit, Toolkit, Toolkit!

It's a must have for the infinitly expandable genre of RPGs. Supporting the modding community pays off a hundred times over. Just look at the Nexus websites for Fallout, TES, DA:O etc.

And let's not forget good old NWN 1&2...

Plus I'm really interested to see 2D artists expanding the backgrounds.

First goal should definitely be a toolkit. Modding is awesome and enables the players to make the game their own, which is incredibly important to an active fanbase. Plus, with a good toolkit, we can add in pretty much all of the other things listed if we want to.

As for the other options, all are pretty important save for graphics, but top of the list should be choices and consequences, a larger gameworld, and more companions, with text following close behind.

But given that this game is pretty much story focused, is there really an advantage in having a mod kit?

I put my priority as reactivity. It is hard for an RPG to have too many choices and consequences.

My secondary choices were larger world, more text and modding toolkit.

These 4 things would add the most value, in my opinion. The other stuff is great too, but those are the key components for an RPG to shine.

Apart from the modding kit, I agree.

But sometimes the other things go under the radar and are not given the deserved importance IMO.

They make the difference between a rough diamond and one that is polished and shinning.

In particular I find the music really important as it really sets out the mood and the (I hate this word but...) immersion.

Or the artwork and the lore/story (as you said, more text) behind an item.

i dont personally care what stretch goals they add at this point unless its to bring some big name into the team (like justin sweet, or jermy soule)

Those two men are great artists, but IMO Obsidian should invest on their own talent.

We only got nice things such as Fallout and PST because Tim Cain and Chris Avellone were left alone and given the chance to create something.

Give Obsidian artists a chance to shine... but if they fail... off with their heads :devil:

Just kidding guys, no pressure huh :grin:

(pic by Chris Avellone, check his twitter)

A2y2wa0CUAET3NZ.jpg

• Like 2

For me, classes & factions=replayability, since I am generally prepared to do the same quests over and over again just trying out different builds, and roleplay means that I won't always side with, or even contact, every faction on one character.

I actually think, though, that setting these things as stretch goals is slightly arbitrary: this game won't ship for long time, and the ability of the developers to add MORE will depend on how much they already have. I don't necessarily want my 200 hour game to be a 300 hour game just because Obsidian hit a stretch goal. I'd like them to be able to say 'let's give each class another cool ability' instead of 'save that ability for the twelfth class that we promised'.

Similarly, having a new continent or race can be less interesting in the end than putting more work into an existing continent or race. It shouldn't be about feature creep and ticking boxes.

Right now if Obsidian wants to shake the tree a bit more I'd like to see more physical rewards in the mid tiers. I'm a bit of a sucker for collectable loot.

You make good points.

With exception of the physical goodies, which are money succubus. They may seem as if they're funding the project, but in fact represent null funding for Obsidian since they're expensive to manufacture.

(consider this as an edit to my OP:)

One problem with voting is that for many aspects we don't know what will be there, or what if what's there feels enough.

For example, how can I ask for more or better music if I don't know what's there. How many tracks does it have? Is the music good?

Even more for the world. We have no clue of how big the game currently is. Suppose it's BG2 sized. Would you still ask for more? That was the greatest behemoth out there, I would rather have Obsidian to polish and flesh out the rest.

It's somewhat of a blind vote, but given what we know, it's the best we can do for now.

Interesting that there aren't many votes for music & sound - perhaps because everyone takes it for granted? The ambient environment sounds and music really made PS:T and the BG games shine, so I'd definitely like to think that would be an area where a chunk of extra money would be allocated considering we've already had a fair amount of 'extra content and companions' tiers.

Edited by The Wise Alaundo

Companions. Definitely companions. The currently promised number of companions is dismal. :(

How can you judge this, if you have no idea what they will be like and how the game will be designed around them, and how it will be like to play it?

From the hints Obsidian has given they clearly indend to innovate a little in this departement rather than making companions exactly like jonable NPCs in the Baldurs Gate series.

So, give them a little credit and trust that they know how to implement their vision for making a great RPG, rather than thoughtlessly naging them for "More companions! More races! More everything!" without having a clue about how it will fit into their concept and whether or not it would improve or maybe ruin the game.

Edited by anek

i dont personally care what stretch goals they add at this point unless its to bring some big name into the team (like justin sweet, or jermy soule)

Those two men are great artists, but IMO Obsidian should invest on their own talent.

We only got nice things such as Fallout and PST because Tim Cain and Chris Avellone were left alone and given the chance to create something.

Give Obsidian artists a chance to shine... but if they fail... off with their heads :devil:

Just kidding guys, no pressure huh :grin:

Man, aint that the truth!! As the saying goes, nothing good ever came out of a committee. In the same vein I really hope the devs just make the game they want to make (at the core) and don't feel like they have to bow to the pressure of trying to please everybody with this project. Secondly, it sure would be nice to see a little more trust on behalf of the people following the game. Too often I'm reading things that make me cringe at the massive sense of entitlement some people seem to have.

• Like 1

I went for more replayability and more text. Spending more money on designing and implementing additional choices and consequences seems like a great way to make players feel like they are shaping their own journey. More text allows not only for more conversations, thereby deepening the characters and the world, but also gives the devs more room to mess around with designing side characters who are not important to the central story. This would, hopefully, allow for quirky minor characters like the gnomish scholars in NWN2 that you can consult about the wendersnaven or minor characters with moving stories like Chief Hanlon in Fallout: New Vegas.

Most of the other options are good too, but choices & consequences and more dialogue are the two areas that are most important to me.

Nice poll.

I want more races and classes because I want Project Eternity to be a robust RPG not just in terms of story (which it no doubt will be) but also in terms of gameplay, and usually with RPGs, moar = better in this respect provided someone smart is at the help designing them. Plus, more options tends to lead to more replayability, though considering Project Eternity won't have full party creation that might not be as big a concern. Secondary goal is a larger world with more quests, then comes mod tools, which would both be excellent.

Edited by sea

Sorry for forgetting about those options (multiplayer and EFIGS, and now that I think about it romances too).

I was limited to 10 options and that was what I came up with (as I started from the poll from inXile).

Not much of an excuse, but I'm also from a non-english native speaking European country, and I'm fine with english.

Playing games is always a nice excuse to improve the english language, especially when you have Sawyer and Avellone writing them ;)