Will we have lefties in this? From what I've witnessed, the only genre where lefties have any sort of visibility happens to be in sports games. It'd be nice to see that group receive a little more attention in games.

• Like 4

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Unfortunately, it is often quite annoying to implement - you'd need to create new animations (AFAIK, not simply mirror them), especially in instances where animations match up with each other (say, if you had a left-hander in a game like The Witcher, pretty much all the combinations of sword-fighting animations would need double the work).

Not to mention it would be hardly noticeable.

• Like 3

Unfortunately, it is often quite annoying to implement - you'd need to create new animations (AFAIK, not simply mirror them), especially in instances where animations match up with each other (say, if you had a left-hander in a game like The Witcher, pretty much all the combinations of sword-fighting animations would need double the work).

I don't think it will play like that, it'll be most probably like the Infinitengine games.

Ah, consider me slightly more aware now, thank you.

Herald of the Obsidian Order

Dumb tech-less question: if they encorporate dualwielding, won't the left handed animations already be there, thus giving ppl the choice to use just the left hand?

I'm pretty sure that they'd have to make a third animation where the right hand doesn't try to stab/slash/smash with nothing.

I don't think it will play like that, it'll be most probably like the Infinitengine games.

It was an exaggerated example, yes. As far as I know (which is not much in this case), though, 2D sprites actually need animations to be uniquely produced - whereas 3D sprites, for instance, can simulate moveable 'joint' points in the models.

While I'd like to see this myself, it is extra work for something not considered important. Would be neat feature though, us lefties always get left out, or even screwed over (Wii Zelda games had to rewrite Link as right handed because the majority of people are right handed, when he has always been historically left handed).

Knight Drei of the Obsidian Order

Clearly the best solution is to make *everyone* left-handed. I've had enough of the dextrous hegemony. We're in a fantasy world where everything is, er, fantastical, and yet we continue to perpetuate the notion of right-handed dominance? Sinister forever!

• Like 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

While I'd like to see this myself, it is extra work for something not considered important. Would be neat feature though, us lefties always get left out, or even screwed over (Wii Zelda games had to rewrite Link as right handed because the majority of people are right handed, when he has always been historically left handed).

Link actually used to bug me out a bit, but I got used to it quickly

Herald of the Obsidian Order

I think this is more important than representing various forms of sexual deviancy, and would no doubt require far less resources. So in the "I don't care" department of development, this has my vote for "most important feature I care the least about".

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Will we have lefties in this? From what I've witnessed, the only genre where lefties have any sort of visibility happens to be in sports games. It'd be nice to see that group receive a little more attention in games.

Why couldn't you just mirror them? Probably a naive question, but...

Even if the backgrounds are isometric, I can all but guarentee that the characters will be 3D (on the 2D isometric background). This is just based on the huge amount of complaining the artists (Brian?) did on IWD2, because ANY time you want a change to a character (e.g. a new type of weapon) you have to physically change the art, whereas 3D char art is all vector based and easy to change (along the same lines as Flash, SVG, or PDF).

For an example of a 2D isometric game with 3D chars take a look at Beyond Divinity. Bad game (crappy Divine Divinity spin-off), but good example (modern 3D chars would have a lot more polygons of course).

So I can't see any immediate reason why it would be overly difficult. But it's also not the most important thing in the world.

Still, Valve are studying sign language for Half-Life 2 Episode 3/HL3 because there is a deaf character and they want to get it perfect. If that much attention to detail is good enough for Valve, then it should be good enough for Obsidian.

It would be really nice if a companion was left-handed. They would always have this trait, so no need for additional animation; it wouldn't be very noticeable, true, probably only when equipping weapons, but that's actually a good thing. It's the small details that create personality, and it's personality that we love in companions. :)

• Like 1

you can watch my triumphant procession to Rome

It would be really nice if a companion was left-handed. They would always have this trait, so no need for additional animation; it wouldn't be very noticeable, true, probably only when equipping weapons, but that's actually a good thing. It's the small details that create personality, and it's personality that we love in companions. :)

I'd love this, but only if I can discriminate him somehow for being lefthanded.

t50aJUd.jpg

Obvoiusly.

Imagine the puns and not allowing him to the right of your formation!

(Just to be clear: the latter shouldn't be an in-game restriction, but you can always, you know, roleplay.)

you can watch my triumphant procession to Rome

Obvoiusly.

Imagine the puns and not allowing him to the right of your formation!

(Just to be clear: the latter shouldn't be an in-game restriction, but you can always, you know, roleplay.)

Hey, that might actually be good. By positioning lefties to the left of me, I've reduced the chance of friendly maulings by at least 20%!

I also suggest that since lefties are rare, they should have a +1 bonus against parrying. :D

Seriously though, I can't imagine that this would require a relevant amount of effort to include in the game. Mirrored sprites or models, some tweaking, tadaa. It wouldn't even really be something I'd be likely to use, but I'd really like to see it in the game.

Especially if I can complain about some recruitable companion being a leftie.

"Lefties have no soul!"

"Lefties are an evolutionary dead-end."

"Lefties are mutants. You're a mutant!"

:D

t50aJUd.jpg