Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Please! Less classes, races, factions, companions, regions, and other features!

classes factions races companions regions features multiplayer

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Ieo

Ieo

White Gazebo of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1410 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

10/10 goes to OP, pretty good satire on those I-don't-want-a-cirtain-feature-so-no-one-should-have-it-so-put-all-the-money-somewhere-else-period people.

Context: OP and other hardcore MP supporters want MP at the expense of SP design. There really are design issues that are mutually exclusive (but going by Bobby Null's post, that's only if you want quality MP, implying crappy MP shouldn't affect SP as much).
  • qloher, alphyna and anek like this

qloher

qloher

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 101 posts
Thanks, Ieo, context helps indeed. I have nothing against sub-par multiplayer (better than nothing for those who are into it, huh), yet good multiplayer at the major expense of SP design is not acceptable. Seriously.
Still I find it amusing to apply the first post in this topic to anti translation/anti Linux & Mac versions/anti romance/etc. crowds.
  • Ieo likes this

alphyna

alphyna

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

If you answer each and every design decision during the creation of a game with "All of the above!" and "Lets make it optional!", the end result will simply not be very good.

Yup.

I never strongly object against cosmetical things like, I don't know, finishing blows (it's just an example). But there's an obvious distinction between the features that can be turned on and off without any real difference (aesthetics aside) and those which influence the core — of gameplay, of the story, of whatever. I'll never use multiplayer. I don't need it. If it can be implemented without touching the core, then sure — I understand that I'm not the only one who's going to play this game. But can it? And if it can't, I feel like I can express my opinion — hell, I think I should — so that the developers know what the audience (me being a part of it) wants.
  • horocaust likes this

timobkg

timobkg

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:leiniro
  • Xbox Gamertag:leinara
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm one of the ones that wants co-op multiplayer. I'm not willing to sacrifice the singleplayer experience for the coop.

From what the Dev's have said, you can have great singleplayer with no coop, great singleplayer with mediocre coop (the old IE games), or great coop with mediocre singleplayer. You can't have great singleplayer and great multiplayer in a text-heavy, dialog driven game.

If we're not willing to sacrifice the singleplayer experience, that leaves the choice of no multiplayer or mediocre multiplayer, and at that point, it's kind of hard to argue for multiplayer.
  • Ieo, alphyna and anek like this

TrashMan

TrashMan

Holy Avenger of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1523 posts

Try the first post about burning from satire. It's pretty much what most of the arguments have been; hundreds of opinions wanting the resources devoted to what they believe will make a better game, at the cost of what others believe will make a better game.

And this surprises you?

Edited by TrashMan, 25 September 2012 - 01:42 PM.

SirthOsiris

SirthOsiris

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Try the first post about burning from satire. It's pretty much what most of the arguments have been; hundreds of opinions wanting the resources devoted to what they believe will make a better game, at the cost of what others believe will make a better game.

And this surprises you?

It always seems to, but after thinking about it, not really...

SqueakyCat

SqueakyCat

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 322 posts
Please! Please! Let this thread die a fiery death!

There's already a thread to discuss MP if that's, in fact, the core issue for this 2/10 thread (sarcasm fail). It's hard to tell since there doesn't seem to be any one focus to it.

Edited by SqueakyCat, 25 September 2012 - 04:04 PM.

Azrayel

Azrayel

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 70 posts

LOL @ the Op. That was great!

EDIT: I plan to have my character look like the babe in my avatar picture. I don't know what she's from, but if it's not a copyright issue, please use that image for the PC. Otherwise, something as close as possible.

That's Viconia!

Which brings up a semi-serious point. Dark elves. I'd be interested to see what, if anything, Obsidian's gonna do with regards to Elves, and their lore.

The "Lake of Drow Tombs" on the map really made me think Dark Elves would be included; also, there's the Elf concept art but yes I hope this doesn't become another rehash of the same old Tolkien plagiarism-- but considering this is Obsidian? AND they get to do whatever the hell they want? I mean...

These are the people who rolled out the chaste succubus. I don't think they're going to disappoint on this front.

Calabain

Calabain

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
No multiplayer, no god, please no.

Obsidian is already going to be dealing with a tight budget and schedule. The creation of multiplayer, especially good multiplayer, would remove many resources and much time from the development of the single player experience.

We're not talking about some inconsequential or minor feature here, like the OP seems to be implying.

Knott

Knott

Viking of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Ach!
Here's a solution to lay the entire multiplayer debate to rest:
Let's add some SOCIAL FEATURES! :wowey:

Aedelric

Aedelric

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 477 posts
At the original post;

How true of so many roleplaying games these days, kinda makes me sad.

Bos_hybrid

Bos_hybrid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2171 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Still no to multiplayer.

themanclaw

themanclaw

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I know OP is satire, but it still seems to fall into internet behavior of dismissing criticism as 'whining'.
Not only are those of the community the ones who fund the project, but we're also the ones to play it. Now, that does not make us entitled to the perfect game, but if nothing else, entitle to express our opinions and desires for the game. Nobody is forcing you to like or agree with any of the sentiments expressed by others, so implying people are stupid or overly demanding for simply stating what they like just comes off as pretentious.
  • Hornet85 likes this

Hornet85

Hornet85

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm one of the ones that wants co-op multiplayer. I'm not willing to sacrifice the singleplayer experience for the coop.

From what the Dev's have said, you can have great singleplayer with no coop, great singleplayer with mediocre coop (the old IE games), or great coop with mediocre singleplayer. You can't have great singleplayer and great multiplayer in a text-heavy, dialog driven game.

If we're not willing to sacrifice the singleplayer experience, that leaves the choice of no multiplayer or mediocre multiplayer, and at that point, it's kind of hard to argue for multiplayer.

Unfortunately OP don't get it.

So OP is actually one of those who thinks he knows better than the dev which is equally selfish because despite the fact that Obsidian has already said why they are focusing on SP, OP continues to demand for multiplayer just because he wants it, knowing pretty well what the dev has said about this issue.

Go play an MMO if you want multiplayer.

Edited by Hornet85, 25 September 2012 - 05:00 PM.

• SqueakyCat likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classes, factions, races, companions, regions, features, multiplayer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users