2D Isometric Graphics (Warning: Large Pictures)

graffix  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see graphics like this in Project Eternity?

While isometric graphics are fine, I do prefer being able to rotate the playfield in 90 degree steps so that I can see the whole environment. PS:T could have done this if it wasn't for 1999 memory limitations; the environments were 3D modelled and could have been rendered in four orientations no problem. With hand-drawn 2D graphics obviously this is more difficult and expensive.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy/Planescape/Icewind Dale and even Fallout still look great to date with High Res Patches:

That makes a nice desktop wallpaper but not a particularly playable experience, with everything scaled down to a fraction of its original size.

Try it out; it's very playable - more so even.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy/Planescape/Icewind Dale and even Fallout still look great to date with High Res Patches:

That makes a nice desktop wallpaper but not a particularly playable experience, with everything scaled down to a fraction of its original size.

I actually find the screenshots D3xter posted to be much more playable than the default resolutions due to the increased visibility(I also play at the lowly 1440x900 resolution in D3xter's screenshots). It's bad when you go up to 1920x1200 though. Nevermind 2560x1600, heh.

One thing Obsidian can do is render the backgrounds for use at 1920x1200 by default, but offer a separate and much higher resolution download like Skyrim does for the textures. So offer 3840x2400 or even higher for those who want the game to look good zoomed in on high resolutions monitors.

Try it out; it's very playable - more so even.

I did, it's unbearable. Especially for the UI where every button and clickable element is reduced to mere millimeters of my screen. When I use the widescreen mod I set it to something that respects both my monitor's aspect ratio and the designers' intent for scale: 960x600 for a 16:10 monitor or 1072x603 for a 16:9 monitor. Edited by Zeckul

I voted NO, because most of these Pictures look like they were constructed as 3D models. It might look good, but depending on Obsidians approach to

creating areas it could be too time consuming and result in fewer content. Eternity is after all still a "low-budget" game - and (I hope) we all want it to be big.

If that is not an issue for Obsidian I am all for those graphics, but I don't want to loose focus here.

They constructed as 3D models, yes, the same way IE games were. And these were made by one person only, with his own money. So I don't think that will be a problem with 2 or 3 persons to do all the 3D modeling work.

Project Eternity: Interactive/animated or descriptive? Check my poll and vote!

• 3 weeks later...
You also have to make compromises with pre-renders; it becomes almost impossible to do dynamic lighting and shadowing; it is very difficult to represent depth convincingly with the orthographic projections they use; every animation has to be isolated' date=' looped and pre-baked which makes it much harder to get good-looking stuff that moves like water, foliage, clouds, haze, etc., leading to unnaturally static scenes. I think at the point we're at today, we get better-looking graphics, with more detail and artistic freedom, by going with a real-time than a pre-rendered approach: plus of course we get camera freedom and resolution independence.[/quote']

The problem I have with your argument is that you seem to assume that some of these things are inherently better because they are better from a technical standpoint.

There is a lot to be said about the power of well conceived static screens being actually more involving for erring more on the side of abstraction rather than representation, which brings tighter control of affects and pathos.

Edited by Emeraude

Some day I'd like to see a game do real-time authentic crashing surf along a coastline. It's probably expensive to render, I know, and it very likely won't be in this game. But some day...

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Some day I'd like to see a game do real-time authentic crashing surf along a coastline. It's probably expensive to render, I know, and it very likely won't be in this game. But some day...

The best I've ever seen is a sort of ripple. It's not something that's necessary in a game but yeah, it would be cool to see. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

And this is why I want Fog of War, so I can wash away all that darkness and find the beautiful art behind it :)

It also gives those of us who are OCD about it something to do. I can't be the only one that systematically clears a map with FoW trying out every bend and corner to remove as much of the FoW as possible ;)

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

And this is why I want Fog of War, so I can wash away all that darkness and find the beautiful art behind it :)

It also gives those of us who are OCD about it something to do. I can't be the only one that systematically clears a map with FoW trying out every bend and corner to remove as much of the FoW as possible ;)

you most certainly are not.

you most certainly are not.

Most certainly not. That's why Obsidian should make a Clairvoyance ability for us :p so we can explore every nook and cranny (only usable outdoors). Or perhaps get a pet Hawk that can fly and explore those areas you can not (Man I'd be so mad if some ranger shot that Hawk down whilst I'd explore with it ;) *whistles*).

the main thing I hope they improve upon with this version of game is I want really well rendered lighting and shadows. I also want them to take advantage of things like tessellation so environments have some texture and its not just a bunch of circles and boxes with painted textures. It doesn't need to be photo real, but if the tech is out now, and the games gonna be coming out in 2 yrs, lets use the resources available to us now. Icewind Dale games looked pretty for their day, but we can really push things now a days with programs like Zbrush, and improved tech.

I always loved these from Revenant game, sorry for small resolution it's bloody hard to find decent screenshot from this game.

http://www.rpghry.cz/Img/Games/Screenshots/498/498_4.jpg

http://gamereviewgroup.com/scrImages/revenant_1_orig.jpg

Edited by Ywerion

"Have you ever spoken with the dead? Called to them from this side? Called them from their silent rest? Do you know what it is that they feel?

Pain. Pain, when torn into this wakefulness, this reminder of the chaos from which they had escaped. Pain of having to live! There will be no more pain. There will be... no more chaos."

Kerghan the Terrible,

first of the Necromancers,

voyager in the Lands of the Dead.

They look great, but I think they look much better in their original size because characters and objects get too small in bigger resolutions. Original size then again is frustrating because of very limited view and constant need of scrolling around map. Claustrophobic experience. This is my main problem with old 2D games: I just can't find the perfect balance between those two and it doesn't help that IE widescreen mods seem to cause crashing on some resolutions. They worked best on my monitors native res 1080p which is far too big for this kind of games. Almost all others were nearly unplayable because of constant crashes.

Hopefully they figure out some kind of zooming system in PE so you can get smaller view on situations you need to be more precise like combat and then again wider view for exploration and finding important places in cities etc.

Edited by Haerski
  • Like 1

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

I don't know which examples of cel-shading you dislike. I come from a background based on anime and animation, so that colors my preferences - but then, everyone has preferences, so no suprise there. Here are games that I have played and enjoyed cel-shading for:

*Okami

*Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

*Persona 3 & 4

*Paper Mario: The 1,000 Year Door

A rather short list, but to be honest I haven't gotten the chance to extensively play most modern examples of the style. I am hoping to get a crack at Valkyria Chronicles someday. original.gif

the cell shading for Zelda was fantastic, and close to ageless. But, I really hated the art direction. except Ganondort. He looked pretty bad ass.

what the 2d brings to the table is the ability to reshape by hand the 3d model's imperfections, thus adding a 118x antialiasing, a 216x anisotropic filter, and completely removing the corners created by the use of a limited number of polygons on curved surfaces, making them smooth, without having to make your video card render bilions of polygons per second to make the same image in 3d

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

what the 2d brings to the table is the ability to reshape by hand the 3d model's imperfections, thus adding a 118x antialiasing, a 216x anisotropic filter, and completely removing the corners created by the use of a limited number of polygons on curved surfaces, making them smooth, without having to make your video card render bilions of polygons per second to make the same image in 3d

I don't think that's really good argument in favor of 2D. It's like building an ordinary house and making front look like palace, but if you look it from different angle it's still just the same dull and boring ordinary house. So you make it so people won't see anything else but the front wall and everybody's happy?! Yay!

Edited by Haerski

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

I don't think that's really good argument in favor of 2D. It's like building an ordinary house and making front look like palace, but if you look it from different angle it's still just the same dull and boring ordinary house. So you make it so people won't see anything else but the front wall and everybody's happy?! Yay!

we will only see it from the front. so ya, yay indeed.