Enough money to "make the game" - Multiplayer, modding, language support "open-ended"

Your opinion regarding features in PE that are still open-ended  

452 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like multiplayer as a stretch goal, since it's been confirmed there are enough funds to "make the game"?

2. 2. Would you like modding tools as a stretch goal, since it's been confirmed there are enough funds to "make the game"?

3. 3. Would you like multiple language support as a stretch goal, since it's been confirmed there are enough funds to "make the game"?

In this radio interview Feargus Urquhart said that Obsidian have enough money to "make the game" (and I think I heard him say something about being able to make it pretty big, but I couldn't really catch that part). He also stated that things like multiplayer, modding tools and multiple language support are still "open-ended". You can listen to him saying those things

Personally, I'm very hopeful that multiplayer gets to be a stretch goal for PE, even if it's just a co-op mode of the single player experience a la BG and IWD. However, modding tools sound like an even cooler addition and I'd love to have access to something of the sort. I can also imagine what amazing things the community can achieve with such tools. :)

Now, I don't know about languages and if the game needs to be localized. I've always played games in English and this has only helped me learn the language better than I'd have if I'd only relied on studying it at school. However, I do notice that a lot of people have called for support of more languages so I guess it wouldn't hurt to add this as a stretch goal. It may actually bring up the pledges of people who have a strong preference for localized versions.

So, what's your take on the things that are still open-ended?

Edited by Vatdim

No, screw multiplayer, why does every single thing nowadays must have multiplayer, jesus...

Eh, actually too many things today lack multiplayer, unless you are counting the multiplayer only games, such as WOW, SWTOR, etc.

For example, KOTOR 1&2, DA 1&2, as well as ME 1&2 did not have multiplayer. On the other hand, in the past more things used to have multiplayer: BG 1&2, IWD 1&2, Arcanum and NWN all had multiplayer.

• Like 4

From what I gathered in the "where are you from" thread, there are quite a few people interested in the game for whom English is not their native tongue. Translation and VA for multiple languages could be quite expensive, but if there is money for it and it can be done with a high level of quality then I don't see why it shouldn't be added as a stretch goal.

• Like 1

Yep, I forgot to add the "Don't care" option, now it's in. :)

As for the multiple language support, I have also never seemed to understand why people like this. I mean, if I've to watch a movie that's been originally filmed in English, I'd prefer to watch it in English, even if I'm not sure I'll understand everything. If I do need a translation, I'd much rather get some subtitles than have the whole film voiced over in my own language. But if people really do want this, I think it's fine as a stretch goal, considering the fact that Obsidian have enough money to fund the game as it is.

From what I gathered in the "where are you from" thread, there are quite a few people interested in the game for whom English is not their native tongue. Translation and VA for multiple languages could be quite expensive, but if there is money for it and it can be done with a high level of quality then I don't see why it shouldn't be added as a stretch goal.

Yes, but most people know English anyway. Maybe if the target audience of the game was 10- year olds who have yet to learn a second language, then yes, translations would be appropriate. Maybe Obsidian could look at making a Spanish translation, considering how few posters there seems to be from Latin America. On the other hand, I am all for Obsidian making it easier for fans to translate the game (DO YOU HEAR THAT, DEVS?) Maybe they could even collaborate with fans to make translations of the game before release.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I'm okay with co-operative multiplayer and would probably like it if it was implemented well (unlike DS3 from what I understand) but it's not a big priority for me. I'd much rather see multiple language support and modding as stretch goals.

• Like 1

"Understanding is a three-edged blade."

"Vivis sperandum: Where there is life, there is hope."

Yes, but most people know English anyway. Maybe if the target audience of the game was 10- year olds who have yet to learn a second language, then yes, translations would be appropriate.

it doesn't matter how you feel about that but like drm, mac and linux support there're lots of people out the not willing to support a fan funded game without localization. a toolset also helps to increase pledges because it sends the signal that there will be mods in the future which increase replayability and the possibility to change the game to your liking.

you should also not underestimate the fact that all these features help obsidian to sell their game after release. in the end they want to score a hit with this crpg and establish their ip.

Edited by Semper
  • Like 1

Yes, but most people know English anyway. Maybe if the target audience of the game was 10- year olds who have yet to learn a second language, then yes, translations would be appropriate.

it doesn't matter how you feel about that but like drm, mac and linux support there're lots of people out the not willing to support a fan funded game without localization. a toolset also helps to increase pledges because it sends the signal that there will be mods in the future which increase replayability and the possibility to change the game to your liking.

you should also not underestimate the fact that all these features help obsidian to sell their game after release. in the end they want to score a hit with this crpg and establish their ip.

Yes, but where are they now? If they can't find their way to this board to complain I doubt they will be able to use Kickstarter. I've nothing against a toolset however and even as I hate the Mac, I think it might be a sensible goal to have the game released on that platform.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

but where are they now? If they can't find their way to this board to complain I doubt they will be able to use Kickstarter.

why should they come here and complain about a game they have no interest right now because there's no stretch goal advertising these features? and as i said before they want this game to become a huge success, which will be difficult if there're none other languages supported. they don't have to record the lines, just translate the text. nobody is able to foresee the impact on the pledging rates but this will eventually help to advertise it later on.

Results from the poll so far seem quite interesting. While according to this poll most people don't want multiplayer in PE, the majority of them do want modding tools to be present. That seems a little odd to me, considering the way modding tools in a game like NWN are used to create a great amount of multiplayer content. I've always thought of multiplayer and modding as going hand in hand, but the results so far seem to reject that hypothesis, at least for PE.

• Like 1

So much "hate" towards translations... :p I should post in castillian because, you know, the "spirit of what I say is lost in the translation". Common sense, the need to cummunicate and that the forum belongs to Obsidian, forbids that.

Now seriously...

I don't care about multiplayer at all. I don't play RPGs for multiplayer. If this were an ARPG, I'd not mind it but not being one of those games, I don't fancy the idea. If it doesn't truly affect the quantity/quality of the rest of the content, then I'm fine with it added.

Mod tools can be quite awesome to have. Especially if it's somehow "easy" to add new quests, items...

Translations? Glad that you are not following the steps of SWTOR in the voiceovers department so you don't spend bazillions of USA dollars. :p I know it is going to be lot of text but:

• you can do the translations after release. That can create a new peak in sales after release.
  • during development, you can have some (trusted?) fans translating the game (more likely near the end of the cycle). Those translations wouldn't be included in the game (trust issues?) but you can always link to them in the forums for those who want to try them.

I'll be playing in english no matter how much fake pirate talk (which I HATE) or different accents you add to the game beyond the "american english". Even if there is a translation to castillian. But I know that more than a few people from my country would prefer translation available. So if you go fan translation before relase, I'd consider lending a hand.

Edited by Wintersong
  • Like 1

but where are they now? If they can't find their way to this board to complain I doubt they will be able to use Kickstarter.

why should they come here and complain about a game they have no interest right now because there's no stretch goal advertising these features? and as i said before they want this game to become a huge success, which will be difficult if there're none other languages supported. they don't have to record the lines, just translate the text. nobody is able to foresee the impact on the pledging rates but this will eventually help to advertise it later on.

Because they are interested in the game? If I only knew Spanish and had played the IE games and Obsidian's earlier titles in Spanish, I would come here and be angry that the game would not be available in Spanish so that I could play it. I don't think the Kickstarter is directed at people whose primary criterion for choosing games is the language the games is in, as opposed to the game itself, which seems to be what you're implying.
  • Like 1

during development, you can have some (trusted?) fans translating the game (more likely near the end of the cycle). Those translations wouldn't be included in the game (trust issues?) but you can always link to them in the forums for those who want to try them.

I'm all for this. Use the enthusiasm created by the game to contract some free translators from the fan audience.

That seems a little odd to me, considering the way modding tools in a game like NWN are used to create a great amount of multiplayer content. I've always thought of multiplayer and modding as going hand in hand, but the results so far seem to reject that hypothesis, at least for PE.

persistent worlds (multiplayer only) are very few compared to the single player mods and stuff published for nwn/nwn2. though those modules can also be played in coop, but that's more of a byproduct. if you think about the elder scrolls, skyrim, fallout, witcher, etc and their modding communities you will notice that there's no correlation.

Because they are interested in the game? If I only knew Spanish and had played the IE games and Obsidian's earlier titles in Spanish, I would come here and be angry that the game would not be available in Spanish so that I could play it. I don't think the Kickstarter is directed at people whose primary criterion for choosing games is the language the games is in, as opposed to the game itself, which seems to be what you're implying.

I'm fairly neutral on the language options, but it's not terribly realistic to expect people whose English is poor to come here and complain. It would be hard to even navigate the site, and there'd be little expectation that anyone could reply to you in a way you could understand.

All of these options have potential, however I would not want single player story compromised (missed opportunities to improve and develop further - within reason of course)

Personally I would prefer that modding be a stretch goal, if they could implement it with steam workshop, I think the amount of content available will be staggering.

To be frank, the biggest point of importance to me is the modding tools. The tools will greatly expand the number of hours we can get from the game, as well as show off the skills and commitment of many great modders.

However I do still want co-op. Why? Because BG1-2 had it, and NWN1-2 had it. Granted NWN had a vastly improved version which, to me, is more of a second game/expansion pack/not high priority goal. I can't stress how much fun it is to actually play with your friends who love these RPGs just as much if not more so than you do, after going through it in SP. If you've ever played P&P DnD (tabletop or online) you'll realize that rping with friends is not only viable, but in some ways more enjoyable.

Having an interactive platform for that is better in some ways, worse in others. Granted I stand by that the co-op is not the thing I want to see the most, I still believe even a basic BG1/2 style would be fine (player hosting so there's no server stress to worry about).

• Like 1

Knight Drei of the Obsidian Order

I don't think the Kickstarter is directed at people whose primary criterion for choosing games is the language the games is in, as opposed to the game itself, which seems to be what you're implying.

aaargh.... the bottom line is that perhaps localization WON'T increase pledges but definitely help to sell the game later on! we help obsidian to establish an ip which hopefully generates them millions upon millions so that they can do an even bigger and better sequel. imo this ain't gonna happen if there are no proper localizations. in this regard fan translations leave a sour taste.

@ressources taken away from sp:

as a stretched goal this won't happen.

Edited by Semper

I don't think the Kickstarter is directed at people whose primary criterion for choosing games is the language the games is in, as opposed to the game itself, which seems to be what you're implying.

aaargh.... the bottom line is that perhaps localization WON'T increase pledges but definitely help to sell the game later on! we help obsidian to establish an ip which hopefully generates them millions upon millions so that they can do an even bigger and better sequel. imo this ain't gonna happen if there are no proper localizations. in this regard fan translations leave a sour taste.

I agree that localization will be vital to the long term sale life of the game. Unfortunately, as a person who understands English perfectly, this doesn't affect me too much.

Knight Drei of the Obsidian Order

Seeing as how the biggest market for these things nowadays is Europe, I think localization will definitely help Obsidian's chances of establishing a proper IP. Remember that Kickstarter backers are only a fraction of what the market actually is----and people who don't know English might not even know about Kickstarter, or even care. Some of them might not even be Obsidian fans. But there may be many who wants an old-school RPG with some proper depth. I think it's important, even if I will not use the feature. If it's not practical to add multilanguages *right now*, they could try to make it possible to patch it in later on.

The feature I'm personally interested in is modding for obvious reasons, but I'm in this to support Obsidian's interests as much as because I want the game to get made, so....

• Like 2

Sword Sharpener of the Obsidian Order

(will also handle pitchforks and other sharp things)