Hey everyone-

I had the great pleasure to talk to Feargus Urquhart about Project Eternity, Obsidian in general and the gaming industry.

An amazing experience, not one you'd want to miss!

Here's a tease

You’ve had great success in the past, now you’re jumping into Kickstarter with your new game, “Project Eternity” What exactly is Project Eternity?

Feargus: A lot of us before we worked for Obsidian, we worked for another company called Internet Interplay, which had an RPG division “Black Isle Studios” which I was the founder back then we worked with a developer called Bioware on games like Baldur’s gate and the sequel and internally, Icewind Dale 2. A lot of people called these games the resurgence of sort of PC role playing games. They were fun games that people loved to play, but they sort of stopped being made and we were having a real challenge getting publishers funding and people interested so when Kickstarter came out we realized this was the perfect way to recreate the games people remember fondly again.

You mentioned Bioware, with the recent news that the Docs in charge are retiring- What’s your opinion on that?

Feargus: Well Ray and Greg are great guys and still very much my friends, I talk to them frequently and I wish them all the best. They put an immense amount of time trying to build the RPG brand at EA up and I think that sometimes you need to take a break…If you work so many years so intensely you tend to burn out and sometimes you just need to take a brake.

But you’re not at the “Taking a Break Stage” just yet?

Feargus: No maybe I’m just more of masochistic then they are (Laughs) I still love making role playing games. It’s kind of hard for an independent developer- for those who don’t know what that means. We kind of work for people who are going to pay us, which is a challenge but also means we have more options. If we don’t want to make a certain style game- we don’t have to pitch that. Which puts us in a very different position. Of course the challenge is then getting that funding- which is why Project Eternity was a hard sell.

• Like 5

15 minutes of awesome!

One funny snippet. The interviewer was asking Feargus about how hard it is for Obsidian to please everyone, and Feargus's Response:

Feargus: "if they listen to everybody, it'll be a Japanese, turn based dating sim with insect people

Edited by Stun
  • Like 2

Stay tuned for our next 30 minutes of awesome!

Cheers

It was a wonderful interview. Thank you for helping Obsidian with their promotion and sharing it on here. Does this mean there is a Part II to the interview and when will that be available?

• 1 month later...

I like he said:

Why make the choice of developing this particular project on Kickstarter?

Feargus: That's a really good question, I think a lot of it is we want to make the game. It's a game we really want to make and it's a game we feel that we can really make well. It's funny, I was just talking to a publisher about an hour ago and he said, "Why didn't you come and talk to us about publishing Project Eternity?" I said, I'm a pretty good salesmen- but not good enough to come into your office and ask you for money for a PC Roleplaying game. It's just not something alot of the publishers are built around. It just made sense to "Kick-start it"

Edited by messi2012

Feargus: "if they listen to everybody, it'll be a Japanese, turn based dating sim with insect people

Toss in Bruce Campbell as an evil puppetmaster and I'd buy it.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 3 weeks later...