the ALMIGHTY tab highlight...

It is a god send for such games, to play without such an feature would be excruciating.

That said, I am not keen on a button that reveals everything on screen, even if your characters do not have line of sight. I much prefer the idea of a sight/search skill that reveals things within a characters vicinity, which perhaps can be improved upon with experience, it seems less like cheating that way.

I think it'd be fun to use a search/spot ability too. Tab would highlight the obvious things like doors and chests but a high search/spot ability would show small compartments and hidden doors. Maybe the same ability as detecting traps?

well we obviously mean doors and chests. in BG you would get into a room full of barrels, crates, chests and so on and you had to slowly sweep the screen with the mouse to see which of them you could use or not. in BG 2 you pressed tab ad you could see that from the 50 barrels, 20 crates and 8 chests, only 3, 4 and 5 were of any use and the rest were decorations. traps, hidden doors and the like you had to spot first and then they would highlight

Right--I just meant finding more stuff with a seach/spot ability. So a low search might only yield 3 lootable items, while a higher search would yield those 3 plus some smaller/hidden things you might not notice otherwise.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to necro but did someone noticed this in latest streams? I didnt notice it. I hope they actualy implemented it maybe even with spot check in it

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

It was outside of the Friendly Arm Inn, not Candlekeep. :D

The Ankheg Armor buried in a field outside Nashkel was equally difficult to find.

Original Sin also has a heavy case of Item Wank.

Bloodstone in a random totem pole.

Bloodstone in a random prison torture device.

Bloodstone buried in a random plot of sand.

Josh already confirmed the highlight key. It will highlight all not hidden objects. source(behind a paywall)

Things that are intentionally hidden (doors, containers, traps, etc.) will be marked as undetected by default. Noticing them will require getting within a certain proximity (based on character attributes) for a second or two. If you rush by everything, you can easily miss the hidden objects or blunder into a trap. We absolutely don't want to emulate the "click button and wait" mechanic of the IE games but we do want to encourage players to be thorough in how they move through/explore spaces. Once an object has been detected, the highlighting key will highlight it just like any other object.

• Like 7

Sorry to necro but did someone noticed this in latest streams? I didnt notice it. I hope they actualy implemented it maybe even with spot check in it

I think they just didn't use it - they weren't looting anything except the quest item.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

It was outside of the Friendly Arm Inn, not Candlekeep. :D

haha, it was actually in the same area Sarevok took 1000 magic missles to the face then had Gorion-kebabs, you also ran from a wolf like a bitch, met Imoen and got propositioned by Xzar and Montaron....its the screen just outside of candlekeep hatnosewj3.gif

That Diamond was indeed in the first wilderness area post-Candlekeep. 

The Ring of Wizardry (a far more essential find) was outside the Friendly Arm Inn. 

I think we should stick to tab highlighting.

I may be a tyro when it comes to CRPGs now a days but search skill is a TRAP, unless if there are actually secret doors/containers to  find, which are also part of the role playing experience. But for every other mundane container/ looty hidey hole, I feel that tab selecting is the best option. If we use an exclusive search tool, it will essentially force every single completionist minded player to build a character that has extremely high search capabilities thus lowering the diversity of the class/race configurations the player will run.

• Like 1

I think Tab (or whatever key) should highlight all the things you can highlight with your mouse: barrels, chests, doors, objects you can interact with. However, you should never be able to highlight things that are deliberately hidden until one of your characters has actually spotted it via a perception check. In other words: there should be no pixel-hunting at all - you can only highlight what your characters have actually noticed.

I think Tab (or whatever key) should highlight all the things you can highlight with your mouse: barrels, chests, doors, objects you can interact with. However, you should never be able to highlight things that are deliberately hidden until one of your characters has actually spotted it via a perception check. In other words: there should be no pixel-hunting at all - you can only highlight what your characters have actually noticed.

The functionality you describe has already been confirmed to be in the game.

Seems fine. If your characters can easily see it, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to easily see it as well. But if they can't, you shouldn't be able to.

I give it two puns up.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u