the ALMIGHTY tab highlight...

yes i agree. its not fun going out for pixel hunting to find what you can or cannot interact with. either have a single chest in a room that we can interact with, or have a way to tell which of the 10 chests we can open and what is just decoration. or make all 10 chests intercative

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I think a search skill is better for role-play purposes. However, the tab highlight feature is better for preventing monitor punching. I can see the benefit of both and maybe disabling the tab highlight could be an interface toggle.

Or, they could do both--have most items be "revealed", and if you have a high "spot" or "perception" or "notice" or whateverthehecktheycallit skill, you get a "there's something interesting around here!" announcement, and if you search (and find it) the whatever-it-is is now revealed by the tab highlight. Everybody wins.

• Like 1

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

Tab highlight, with toggle to disable for those who like sliding a mouse cursor slowly across the screen over and over again.

For people who don't want a tab highlight, couldn't they just, well, refrain from hitting the button?

I think it'd be fun to use a search/spot ability too. Tab would highlight the obvious things like doors and chests but a high search/spot ability would show small compartments and hidden doors. Maybe the same ability as detecting traps?

I think it'd be fun to use a search/spot ability too. Tab would highlight the obvious things like doors and chests but a high search/spot ability would show small compartments and hidden doors. Maybe the same ability as detecting traps?

well we obviously mean doors and chests. in BG you would get into a room full of barrels, crates, chests and so on and you had to slowly sweep the screen with the mouse to see which of them you could use or not. in BG 2 you pressed tab ad you could see that from the 50 barrels, 20 crates and 8 chests, only 3, 4 and 5 were of any use and the rest were decorations. traps, hidden doors and the like you had to spot first and then they would highlight

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

The need for a tab highlight mostly comes down to engine implementation. If usable objects are rendered in such a way that they don't completely blend in with the background or if there is sharp enough detail (and there should be given modern screen resolutions) then a key press to highlight objects might not even be necessary.

Edited by nikolokolus

It was outside of the Friendly Arm Inn, not Candlekeep. :D

haha, it was actually in the same area Sarevok took 1000 magic missles to the face then had Gorion-kebabs, you also ran from a wolf like a bitch, met Imoen and got propositioned by Xzar and Montaron....its the screen just outside of candlekeep :disguise:

I GREATLY dislike Tab Highlight. As well as "sparkles" where the loot is (KILL IT WITH FIRE). Perhaps some form of these being options would be sufficient.

tab highlight is downright essential if you don't want the OCD crowd literally dieing or going blind in front of their monitors as they slide the mouse over every-square-milimeter of the screen....sure it adds 1000's of hours to the game but c'mon man...this is ONE time "dumbing down" should reaally be overlooked for the sake of public health.

I fully support this. I missed it in NWN2.

Though I don't like auto-loot. If I don't have time to collect loot, I shouldn't get loot.

It's a tedium vs. enjoyment factor for me.

Anything that makes the game a chore to play can be dropped, as far as I'm concerned. Having to move my character to each pile of loot, then click on each item in a list to take... that's tedium, not immersion.

Hitting a button that tells my character to go to the nearest pile of loot, and hitting that button again to take all the loot there? That's the same to me as hitting one button to set run to on, or one button to stay crouched, instead of having to hold a button to crouch or run. Or setting up a queue of actions for a character in the party (or even an AI scheme) as opposed to always having to pause and micro-manage. Or any other of a million different mechanics that take something repetitious and boring to repeat and letting you set it as "do this now" fire-and-forget.

It was outside of the Friendly Arm Inn, not Candlekeep. :D

The diamond was outside Candlekeep. Outside of the Friendly Arm Inn there was a Ring of Wizardry that was in a little one pixel hole at the base of a pine tree.

Anyway, I'm all for anything that's able to be interacted with lighting up with the press of tab (though the Spot/Search on tab would be interesting too.) It's incredibly frustrating to get stuck in a part of a game because there's something that you need to interact with, but it doesn't stand out at all so you have to go pixel searching to find it (I'm in particular thinking of Durlag's Tower, where there was one spot on the wall that you had to interact with to activate, iirc, the wine press in order to get past the first level. I spent a long time trying to get the wine press to work before I accidentally brushed the spot with the mouse and saw the pointer change.)