Is this Arcanum 2 ?

Let's just all hope Project Eternity turns out so well we'd rather have a sequel to it than Arcanum 2. For this to be, I think Obsidian will really have to nail the game world correctly. Arcanum felt like a dynamic, living world and the many issues we were confronted with in the game, we could easily relate to issues during comparable time periods of our own history. Giving all the traditional fantasy races a sensible place in this was the crowning achievement. I've yet to play a game with a world that felt so "mature" and thought out as Arcanum. I hope Obsidian can replicate this, even though the time period is a slightly different one and this game has a slightly more pronounced focus on theology/ metaphysics (taking that cue from Torment).

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Although I originally got Arcanum because of the technology vs magic theme there was a great deal that I liked about it that had nothing to do with that. It had choices that made what you did important. You had multiple possible endings. You had quests that were just plain fun, You could fail quests. I did add a mod or tool that made it possible to upgrade and edit you companions, most of them. It had Dog. I loved watching the party slipping and sliding on the icy snow. I just loved that game. In my opinion one of the best written games.

• Like 1

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I would call it just yet, the setings (ie timeline) is off, sure itll pull form the rpgs, but lets keep form jumping the gun just yet.

But if we don't build it up in our heads, what will we have to rage about when it comes out?

Lol, this is true. Imho I bet you the studio was thinking they have till end of the month on this :D

Edited by Brishingr

Arcanum was great in many ways. Only thing that I disliked, which was kind of core of the game was tech vs magic. Whn I bought game i had totally different expectations, I thought decline of magic was becouse of people prefered technology becouse it was more accessable, userfriendly so to speak etc. Not becouse magical energies interfered with working of machines. That was not so plausable for me. What was difference betwean magical lightning and usuall lightning, or fire or or, etc etc. Magical aura disturbs devices...nah, I never bought that..also I wanted to make technomage...i kinda hoped I would be able to make devices that would amplify my characters use of magic or something. Beyond that kind of magicvstech, I pretty much liked the world setting and its lore. Btw, I started once as a dwarf so i could see female dwarf but still i was killed if i remeber correctly. Whats up with female dwarfs?

magic021.jpg

Arcanum was great in many ways. Only thing that I disliked, which was kind of core of the game was tech vs magic. Whn I bought game i had totally different expectations, I thought decline of magic was becouse of people prefered technology becouse it was more accessable, userfriendly so to speak etc. Not becouse magical energies interfered with working of machines. That was not so plausable for me. What was difference betwean magical lightning and usuall lightning, or fire or or, etc etc. Magical aura disturbs devices...nah, I never bought that..also I wanted to make technomage...i kinda hoped I would be able to make devices that would amplify my characters use of magic or something. Beyond that kind of magicvstech, I pretty much liked the world setting and its lore. Btw, I started once as a dwarf so i could see female dwarf but still i was killed if i remeber correctly. Whats up with female dwarfs?

Chaos and Order are contradictory to each other. The lights can't be both on and off at the same time.

If the Kinckstarter projects will be successful, there will be Arcanum 2 as well. Fargo is already planning the next Bard's Tale title and when there old devs plan on their future titles, an Arcanum sequel has to be quite high on the list - right behind Planescape:Torment 2. :)

There's like a really, really, really big logical difference between both. I'd think about that one again.

Yeah, I too have one crazy theory, that Project Eternity - prequel for Arcanum. If you see at the world map “head over heels”, you understand me. I repainted map. If PE actually prequel, game’s developments may be of the order of 1,500 years ago, before war with Arronax. Supposably, in one large continent was series earthquake. As a result, from the continent split off some pieces, which became islands. During earthquake was create Stonewall Range. After that and Arcanum split off from the “big land”. Left only “dry” new continent. Eventually, “Arcanum” may be post-apocalyptic game. :)

Sorry for mistakes, I am Russian and bad speak English.

My "Old Arcanum" world map:

post-3060-0-98218700-1348600778_thumb.jpg

Fanboyish opinions will follow. You have been warned! :aiee:

Only thing that I disliked, which was kind of core of the game was tech vs magic.

Come on! That was the most ingenious concept for cRPG ever. And it's execution was almost perfect.

Not becouse magical energies interfered with working of machines. That was not so plausable for me. What was difference betwean magical lightning and usuall lightning, or fire or or, etc etc. Magical aura disturbs devices...nah, I never bought that..

That idea was awesome! The fact that magic was disturbing forces that could be observed to be orderly without it. And the excerpt form a physics textbook with simple experiments that was added to the game manual... I cannot express how this single concept alone sucked me into the game.

Arcanum was not only a good game because of the gameplay and plot, but ingenious because of the setting the rules that managed that world.

I'm sorry... I just had to... I... just would like Arcanum 2 to be released some day... ;(

Edited by leshy

Red Mage of the Obsidian Order

www.cherrytreestudio.eu

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

Red Mage, Episode 835: Refining Moment

I liked the magic vs tech as well

My problems with Arcanum are mostly in other areas, not in the setting or world set-up.

EDIT: That said I don't think this will be Arcanum 2, but I think that some of the good bits of Arcanum may show up here

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Arcanum 2... Who knows if Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity pull it off it might just happen.

I'd sell my kidney to play Arcanum 2...

Same here - but remember that ActiBlizz owns the rights to it, so unless someone buys them, chances are that if Arcanum 2 is ever made it's going to be a crapfest. :(