The new Companion, give your feedback and let your voice be heard

A person whose soul's 'memories' are quite different from how he/she actually is, and you don't quite know which one is the real them. How much are memories of things that no longer are supposed to mean to a person and shape them, anyway? Who you are and who you were? They'll have things important to them, mentally, that means zero practically. How do you know they're acting in their 'current' interests and not something tied to the past, how trustworthy are they?

.............oh wait, this sounds like TNO. But with actual memories of living his current life (childhood, etc), and possibly wanting to go back to becoming the Practical Incarnation...

• Like 2

Sword Sharpener of the Obsidian Order

(will also handle pitchforks and other sharp things)

I don't have a preference for class or gender or anything like that but I would like a companion who just thinks the PC is a tool and treats them with contempt. I hate the constant companion worship we get in so many RPGs. I want someone who doesn't have personality 'issues' (like Morri's trust issues in DAO ) but just legitimately thinks my PC is a nob and bonus points if I can try to romance them and get totally shot down. :yes:

• Like 1

priestess2.jpg

The Divine Marshmallow shall succour the souls of the Righteous with his sweetness while the Faithless writhe in the molten syrup of his wrath.

I don't have a preference for class or gender or anything like that but I would like a companion who just thinks the PC is a tool and treats them with contempt. I hate the constant companion worship we get in so many RPGs. I want someone who doesn't have personality 'issues' (like Morri's trust issues in DAO ) but just legitimately thinks my PC is a nob and bonus points if I can try to romance them and get totally shot down. :yes:

I always liked Bishop in NWN2 for this reason, despite everyone really seeming to dislike the original NWN2 campaign. In fact the only character he seemed to like was my play through as a Chaotic Neutral Sorceress (and that took a long while to happen). He hated Casavir though (then again, so did I).

Edited by Umberlin

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

What about a person who's existence, due to a curse, is completly ignored by everybody around her?

To make it easy, let's just call her... uh... Pirkko? (weird name)

Anyway. It's not that people can't perceive Pirkko; she just won't stay in their minds for very long, if at all. If she somehow succeeds in making her presence known to people (like taking their stuff, kicking them in the groin etc.), they'll at first acknowledge what happened and react accordingly, but then, shortly afterwards, they'll forget they ever met her.

And the only person who can truly *see* Pirkko is, of course, the PC. So she decides to follow the PC around, mainly because she's on the verge of insanity and the PC is the only thing that keeps her from fully denying her own existence, but also because she wants to learn more about the bond she shares with the PC, in hope that it could tell her something about the nature of her curse.

Some of the other partymembers could possibly get kind of worried about the PCs mental state, as the PC seems to sometimes blurts out sentences to no one in particular. Pirkko therefore advises the PC to only talk with her when no one else is nearby.

The PC might eventually start questioning Pirkkos mere existence, as well as doubting his/her own sanity, and consequently tries to ignore Pirkko (I hate this name), or even suspecting that she's a demon or whatever.

Combatwise, Pirkko does not have to be a very skilled fighter, but she get's an edge due to the confusion her opponents feel as they try to figure what she is, what she's doing, and if she's even there.

I'll admit that this specific companion would probably be pretty hard to implement in the game. Yeah, I see a few problems. But... I still think the idea is kinda cool :)

Edited by Indiphilo
  • Like 2

A fallen "good" god or relative to one(without them being in god mode since the're fallen), that you can guide either to the right path, which might not even be the god's path, or get them further down the devil's highway. IF they have knowledge that the mortals shouldn't possess, they don't share it until they think you are ready or other sources give it to you. By fallen, I don't mean EVIL, though they might have a tendency to see mortals as pathetic and be a jerk to them, just that he did something that disgraced him/her to the others of his kind, and was stripped of his/her place. (S)He might be something like an anti-villain, which can be guided either way(with actions and words) or stay the same.

On the other hand a (Arch-)devil/demon might also work. Similar to the above, except he is like a dark anti-hero, and still far from "good" when you might them. They are just too compassionate for the other of his/her kind. And definitely not Always Chaotic Evil.

• Like 2

If it's really just contrmpt, why is he in your party?

you can watch my triumphant procession to Rome

I think they said that all the companions will have a personal stake in your quest, or something to that effect. If so, then perhaps said person is grudgingly working with you because you have a shared goal.

• Like 1

Well you don't have to like a person to work with them. I just think it opens up more opportunities to role play if you have NPCs with different opinions on you and your actions and conflicting personalities can be really fun to explore. Also, I'm tired of NPCs kissing my arse. -_-

priestess2.jpg

The Divine Marshmallow shall succour the souls of the Righteous with his sweetness while the Faithless writhe in the molten syrup of his wrath.

Well you don't have to like a person to work with them. I just think it opens up more opportunities to role play if you have NPCs with different opinions on you and your actions and conflicting personalities can be really fun to explore. Also, I'm tired of NPCs kissing my arse. -_-

True.

But I've recently finished "Loren — The Amazon Princess" and now it's hard for me to shake the feeling that if a character bitches too much, he probably is the main romantic interest, which is meh.

Everything can be beautiful when well-done, though :)

Edited by alphyna
  • Like 1

you can watch my triumphant procession to Rome

Obviously I would not want a replica of a said character however there are some who have elements that I would like to see in this character:

Bishop: Didn't worship the PC, was for himself and his benefit. Was not repentant about who he was, saw the world his way. Ridiculed other companions and caused tension.

Ammon Jerro: Was older and played a sort of guide/mentor/informer role, was brutal and ruthless, but believed in his goals and ways. Criticized naivety, conflicted with other companions. Was a useful npc to have in the party.

One of Many: Many souls in one form, sadistic, cruel and evil. Couldn't be reasoned with, creeped out other companions and NPC's. Was loyal to the PC but only if you held it's views.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Hehe, if you guys really want to design an NPC, just shell out $10,000 on KS and then make a forum post about it, lol.

Truth be told, the detail of these NPCs should be left to the devs. We should give them input on the general stuff but the details belong to them.

I'd like to see a non-expected and weird companion. A companion that when you first meet him makes you think "What is this, another enemy?". Then somehow you find a way to ally.

I also like companions that are significally different from the player character in some way. They have traits and skills that are unique for them, and impossible for the player to otherwise get. Maybe the companion has two heads, so it has an extra item slot for helmets and can wear 2 at a time. It's a bit like what they went for in NwN expansions and Deekin.. You didn't really expect you could team up with Deekin when you first saw him. And he developed dragon-like abilities that helped develope his back story as well as his combat skills.

Edited by Playgu

What are your opinion on the companion as a questgiver ? I remember in Baldur's Gate 2 I had to have several people in my party throughout the game to complete the different tasks. Is this something that people feel was a good choice ?

Personally I like it somewhat since it gave me a reason to switch companions and try new ones out. I often tend to get attached to companions and if there is a limit I then just keep who I have with me. Knowing that I could get a new questline or discover something previously hidden is a good motivation.

Also what are your thoughts on a limit for how many companions you can have at a time ?