The new Companion, give your feedback and let your voice be heard

So after seeing the tweet about Project Eternity hitting 1.8 mil on Kickstarter I asked if the new companion had already been decided.

This was Obsidians response.

@B_Neogy Come to our #ProjectEternity forums and tell us what you want to see! http://forums.obsidi...ject-eternity/…

So now I am here, and I am personally voting for Claptrap from Borderlands fame as our new Companion.

On a more serious note I would like a companion that has some serious flaw in their personality, like kleptomania or schizophrenic.

The player would be force to take a stance and make choices about how tolerant they are.

The companions in many games are just an extra damage dealer and occasional questgiver. I would like something which more enriching for the game

and gives the companion itself more soul and sense of being a real person with real flaws.

What would you like to see and why ?

Let your voice be heard and lets help obsidian make an awesome companion for the game.

It's hard to give any feedback without knowing anything about this or any of the other companions. Just a well written, all around fun character is fine for me.

I do have a certain preference for Chaotic Neutral characters, at least in the same way Captain Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean is CN. Out for himself, occasionally forms friendly relations with other characters, but they're ultimately secondary to his personal goals. I like those sort of characters. Failing that, could you guys just write Kreia again? Such an amazing character!

Edited by Dem
  • Like 2

I always liked that in Baldur's Gate your companions could end up leaving your party because your reputation was too low or too high.

I would love to see something like that in this game also. A system where a companion can decide to leave the player or even attack them, if the player does something that differs completely from the morals of the companion

Edited by Neogy
  • Like 1

A know-it-all character who always likes to mock you for how incompetent and ignorant you are as leader of the troupe. If you miss out on information or get stuck he can help you out but will milk it for all it's worth; if you do things right and find hidden information or snippets, especially about himself, you can humiliate him, blackmail him, etc.

A nice variation on the traditional mentor/helper/tutorial-man NPC.

• Like 6

What about a mute character? (yes i played alpha protocol ;) )

i think we would be into some quite interesting situations with someone like Sis in our party!

edit: damn, she really did not have enough screen time in AP :D

Edited by lolaldanee
  • Like 4

I would like to see a Jakyll/Hyde companion who acts sometimes good and sometimes evil and the player can't fully predict how he/she will react. Or a companion who must fulfill a special tast in certain intervals in order not to turn evil over the time (some sort of religious sacrifice or curse like injuring him/herself, taking drugs, killing monsters/people,...)

Edited by LordCrash
  • Like 1
35167v4.jpg

Aang from Avatar the Last Airbender. By that I mean possibly a younger character with a powerful ancient soul. It could make for an interesting character as an innocent young person is faced with knowledge of dark and terrible deeds in past lives.

Since they were talking about those with two souls in the same body, maybe someone whose soul is fighting a constant war to keep some powerful dark soul trapped inside theirs. It could constantly be trying to subvert the NPCs actions in and out of combat, possibly whenever the party commits actions that put it more in line with chaos.

And of course, there should be a ninja.

• Like 1

A person(mage or eternity equivalent) with multiple souls that he/she can't "tune out". So for everyone else he/she seems to be hardcore schizophrenic. Also, he/she would be quite powerful, but with rather high chance for critical failures wildmage style.

• Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

An **** would be nice. Witty, sarcastic, likes to makes fun and annoy party members, criticizes you when you do something stupid.

Yeah, and if I may add, with some kind of dark humor...Like a certain flying skull from a previous BIS game :D. Yeah I know, it's already been done, then, but of course make it different enough to adapt to the Eternity setting.

• Like 1

"The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance" - Wing Commander IV

I NEED a character with multiple souls in him\them and speaks in plural referring to him(them)self.

Somewhat similar to Legion in ME.

I totally want this as well.

Generally speaking, I want a good variety of companions, both in terms of personality and morality.

• Like 1

I NEED a character with multiple souls in him\them and speaks in plural referring to him(them)self.

Somewhat similar to Legion in ME.

I totally want this as well.

Generally speaking, I want a good variety of companions, both in terms of personality and morality.

I loved the talking sword in Baldur's Gate 2, so a companion could also be an item like weapon,armor or a fuzzy puppet.

An Obsidian one.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I want an animal as a companion. Preferrably an intelligent talking pack mule. EDIT: Or maybe a cow. A mighty warrior reincarnated in the form of a cow!

Edited by Rostere
  • Like 2

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I'd like a Steven-Heck type character as a companion. Someone deeply troubled and down-right delusional, but with exceptional talents that have allowed him or her to almost make their delusions a reality. The prince of a lost kingdom that never existed, but may come to be. The "daughter of a god" whose true father may have just been a drunken sailor, but who damned well is going to storm the heavens in an attempt to claim her divine inheritence. Something like that.

The characters / character archetypes in Alpha Protocol really had a lot of potential, but (imho) not enough screen time. It's a rich field of fresh inspiration, in my opinion.

• Like 3

Methamphetamine wizard.

Not exactly meth, but... yeah. Some heavy addictive drug. Mature fantasy equivalent -- uhhh... Soul... ash?

Take a standard adventuring Wizard. Looks torn and a little crazy, maybe. Have him be some sort of addict to a destructive but enhancing drug. His personal story quest would be to rid himself of his addiction. You as a player can choose to intervene and talk him out of using, or you can try to stop him, or just let him do whatever. As he deteriorates, his constitution/vitality/health (or whatever the game uses) should take permanent hits, while his intellect/wisdom/spellpower (or whatever the game uses) should go up. Potentially, he could be the ultimate glass cannon wizard. So if you let it go too far, you'll have him cough up blood, fall unconscious or maybe even die. Very dramatic and sad.

As a character, he'd be a pretty funny, likeable guy. Maybe even introduced in such a manner that you'll like him from the get-go (kills an annoying enemy or saves your from something). Total bro. He'll be pretty chill about his addiction, at least initially. Maybe even joke about it. The first to express concern would be other (good aligned) party members. As it gets worse, you'll get the chance to intervene in party banters. He'll be like "I'm stronger than ever", and you'll be like either "Yeah!" or "You look sick."

• Like 3

A giant, feral cat that befriends you. He would come and go as he pleases meaning he would only randomly be available in combat and would occasionally wake you up in the middle of the night by dropping a bloody goblin carcass on your sleeping bag and then expect you to rouse yourself and pet him as a thank you for the "gift."

In all seriousness, I don't really know. I don't yet know enough about the setting or what the other companions will be like to make an informed recommendation. I tend to be partial to calm, reserved characters like Visas from KotOR II, Fall-From-Grace from PS:T, and Mai from Avatar: the Last Airbender, although such a character doesn't need to be female (I'm not sure why I couldn't think of any male examples). That said, balance is important, and I would like to see a variety of characters who will respond differently to the same stimulus (and, indeed, sharply contrasting personalities can lead to a lot of humor when they come into contact).

An Obsidian one.

Seconded. Obsidian has a great track record for making memorable characters, and I'm sure they'll come up with some good ones for Project Eternity.

Edited by eimatshya

A giant, feral cat that befriends you. He would come and go as he pleases meaning he would only randomly be available in combat and would occasionally wake you up in the middle of the night by dropping a bloody goblin carcass on your sleeping bag and then expect you to rouse yourself and pet him as a thank you for the "gift."

In all seriousness, I don't really know. I don't yet know enough about the setting or what the other companions will be like to make an informed recommendation. I tend to be partial to calm, reserved characters like Visas from KotOR II, Fall-From-Grace from PS:T, and Mai from Avatar: the Last Airbender, although such a character doesn't need to be female (I'm not sure why I couldn't think of any male examples). That said, balance is important and I would like to see a variety of characters who will respond differently to the same stimulus (and, indeed, sharply contrasting personalities can lead to a lot of humor).

LOL, please include a cat! The internets will go crazy. And also, yeah, Visas Marr was a great character.
  • Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I always want to have at least one properly lawful companion character who represents the ethical, political, and religious viewpoints of the principle nationality in the game. Companion characters tend to cover the general range of rebels, free-thinkers, crazies, schemers, special snowflakes, and other interesting sorts of people whose status as being interesting is often, at least partially, derived from them being very uncommon sorts of people. I always like to have that balanced out with at least one companion who is entirely mundane in his/her history and abilities, and who is strongly committed to the status quo. Whether this is a grizzled soldier, an uncompromising sheriff, a magic-wielding diplomat, or a thief with strong, common roots... these characters can be just as interesting as the one-in-a-million sort, and help provide important social context to the narrative. So I'd like at least one companion of this general sort, with no preference to more specific details.

• Like 4

I second a Visas type character, creepily devoted to you.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra