Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Voiced NPCs

voice voiceover voice-over

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

Poll: Voiced NPCs (282 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see voiced NPCs? (Lets say it does fit in the budget)

1. Yes, fully voice acted. (44 votes [15.60%])

Percentage of vote: 15.60%

2. Yes, but not fully (key characters only). (147 votes [52.13%])

Percentage of vote: 52.13%

3. No, but greetings are OK. (91 votes [32.27%])

Percentage of vote: 32.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

BSoda

BSoda

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I rather not have it. It hikes up the costs of adding dialogue to the game...and that's not a good thing in my book.

Amentep

Amentep

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 5249 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

As for EVERYONE getting voiced---there's a lot to say against it. Have you noticed how repetitive and/or bad quality 'generic' dialogue tends to sound? Yeah. Wouldn't want that.

"I saw a mudcrab the other day, horrible creatures."

"I used to be a mudcrab spotter like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee"

Brishingr

Brishingr

The Harbinger of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:cloudiestpoem74
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Vo are want inflates any budget, and that is not counting if its done well or not. Now seeing the amount theyre asking for, well yeah if it fits in limited ways, sure if not, hey reading is good with me.

Entropious

Entropious

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 144 posts
I'm not as lazy as to not be able or willing to focus on simpy reading a dialogue. Besides, if fully voiced, no narration will be present and, what's worse, the dialogues are sure to be much simpler and shorter than in the case of written ones.

machopineapple

machopineapple

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MACHOPINEAPPLE1
  • Kickstarter Backer
A little bit of voice acting adds to the characters. After awhile though, I'm just skipping through it because I read the subtitles much much faster than the character talks. I can still hear their voice when I read.

MReed

MReed

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
No, absolutely not. In fact, I'd prefer that there be no voice acting at all, under any circumstances, but I'm not going to get that.

Voice acting dramatically increases the cost per line / word of dialog, dramatically reduces flexibility when it comes to offering dialog choices (once voice acting is done, the dialog is locked in stone), and the money spent on voice acting means that the game world is smaller (twice -- once to pay for the voice actors, and again because adding more content means more voice acting). While there are benefits to immersion, the costs are far to high.
  • eimatshya and SGray like this

Pangur

Pangur

White Cat of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
BG's amount of voice over is enough for me.

Uomoz

Uomoz

Dirge of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 433 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
BG style.

(greetings, spell mantras, key dialogues)

Edited by Uomoz, 21 September 2012 - 11:01 AM.

Jaesun

Jaesun

Fabulous Paladin of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1979 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
A Narrator and major character voices would be Fabulous, but I don't recall them even saying VO would be in game, at the current project funding level.

lolaldanee

lolaldanee

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
as long as i can think, voice acting has been the most important part of any game for me - nothing makes a character more real than a good voice actor
none the less i picked option nr. 2 - the budget simply is not one of a fully voiced game (sadly :( )

Piccolo

Piccolo

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 431 posts
It surprises me how many people are in favour of some or all characters being voiced. I don't think such people really understand just how detrimental voice acting is....
  • nikolokolus likes this

incubus9

incubus9

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I like greetings and certain exclamations. Full voice acting is expensive and a waste of an already limited budget.

"I serve the Flaming Fist!"

Jarmo

Jarmo

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1216 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
IE style, lots and lots and lots of voice acting, but only for greetings and maybe a bit more in important parts.
Voices do add a lot in the way of immersion, and it doesn't even require much of it, just a few words and the character is alive!

Edited by Jarmo, 21 September 2012 - 11:21 AM.

Water

Water

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
One of the things I've always missed about unvoiced games is that they could have NPCs to refer to your PC by name. You know, rather than just "Exile", "Our Leader", or some variant of the word "you".
  • FlintlockJazz likes this

Chunkyman

Chunkyman

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Maybe here and there, but I do not want the budget wasted on hiring people for voice overs.

Cahir

Cahir

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Giving all character in game professional voice acting will be, I think, out of reach for devs with funds they will gather, but all joinable and other more important to plot NPC's should be fully voiced. It gives a real fun to hear well writen dialogues read by profs.

Andre

Andre

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 50 posts
BG2 did it the best. Usually greetings and such were voice-acted, and the most important NPCs were usually fully voice-acted. As it has been noted by others on the forum, the more voice acting you have the less you can use your imagination.

Minsc's level of voice acting was perfect. PS:T's level of voice acting was a tad low, I don't really mind but there were only a few lines spoken there.

Also to note is that getting good voice actors costs a lot unfortunately :/ One voice actor I would LOVE to hear is Glynnis Talken Campbell, she voice acted Kerrigan in SC1 and had such a strong female voice... she would probably also be super cheap.

Will be disappointed if there's no David Warner as well, Jim Cummings and Jennifer Hale would be a big plus!

ohmygodsquad

ohmygodsquad

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Just a little bit of voice acting can go a long way. Every time you heard a voice in Planescape you sat up because you knew something important was going down. Hearing Ravels voice in the maze had so much more impact than if the game had been voice acted fully through out.

Lucas

Lucas

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
If they aim to re-create the spirit of those BIS classics, I would be perfectly fine with the same (limited) amount of voiced content that was included back then; budget is the most important thing, and also how important this feature would be in order to reach a wider, general audience, if they aim to reach them too (and I guess they want to).

I assume a lot of us (of course not the entire forum base) who participate in this message board played a lot of CRPGs, maybe since the eighties, so I guess we wouldn't even mind a "written-only" approach, but that's quite a "hardcore" one :)
  • Gezzas likes this

TCJ

TCJ

Court Fool of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 186 posts
Maybe you can add a new $10,000 tier which allows the person to voice-act for an NPC. :w00t:

...Now that's a bizarre idea!

I do like the way BG2 did it for a lot of NPCs.... voice the first line and let the rest be text. Once you've heard the voice you can imagine the rest of it in the same voice easily enough. It's nice to have main NPCs voiced fully, but for lesser ones, the one line might be nice.

Edited by TCJ, 21 September 2012 - 12:08 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: voice, voiceover, voice-over

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users