Update #6: Choosing the Best Tool for the Job [Linux Confirmed]

Not sure what to make of Unity. The game can still go 2D instead of 3D, right?

I really hope so, because i've yet to see a 3D top down / isometric game that even comes close to looking as good as many 2D examples.

Yes, it can. They can make it look like this, for an instance :

600full-the-temple-of-elemental-evil%3A-a-classic-greyhawk-adventure-screenshot.jpg

TOEE still uses 2D backgrounds + 3D charachters/objects? IIRC?

What game is this?

Developer/Linux user reservations about C#/mono mostly have to do with two things -

• Suspicion about licensing/dependencies on free/non-open components, which is applicable to open source projects, but not stuff like this
  • The .net platform enabling idiots to spread horribly architected and insecure websites like a plague (for the record PHP has this among its problems also)

Neither thing seems that applicable to this project.

Hence Linux users like me are supporting it.

All that said, I really don't get the 'Unity-phobes.' Unity seems like a good engine. There really aren't that many options for multi-platform engines that have good combos of price/value/features. The impression that you can't do '2-d' with 3-d engines that some of you have is also silly.

• Like 2

I don't understand the inclusion of Linux for Project Eternity; it is a OS for academics and system administrators not meant for games - can't resources not rather be redirected to the game instead of porting over for a small meaningless user base of Linux gamers?

If there at all are those; mostly they just want something to talk about and prove that they too can have fun with their system, which never was meant for having fun but studies, programming & system administration (work).

I don't understand the inclusion of Linux for Project Eternity; it is a OS for academics and system administrators not meant for games - can't resources not rather be redirected to the game instead of porting over for a small meaningless user base of Linux gamers?

If there at all are those; mostly they just want something to talk about and prove that they too can have fun with their system, which never was meant for having fun but studies, programming & system administration (work).

Only that it's perfectly capable of playing on assuming the comp is good enough. The only reason I had windows for as long as I did was because it was the only PC system that had the majority of all games. Eventually I said f*** it and got a Mac anyway as it fits all my needs better than a Windows comp, except for the gaming that is. And not having to have 2 different system on your computer, one for gaming and one for everything else is pretty damn nice.

Also, there are lots of Linux users here, including ones that's pledged to Kickstarter, so to call them "a small meaningless user base" is pretty ignorant.

You're trolling right?

on the off chance that You're not, and You really mean the incredible thing that You've just written, go do some reading.

Developer/Linux user reservations about C#/mono mostly have to do with two things -

• Suspicion about licensing/dependencies on free/non-open components, which is applicable to open source projects, but not stuff like this
  • The .net platform enabling idiots to spread horribly architected and insecure websites like a plague (for the record PHP has this among its problems also)

Neither thing seems that applicable to this project.

You forgot the insanely bitter hatred of anything having to do with Microsoft, but sure.

• Like 1

No, none of this at all really.

I use both Linux/Unix and Windows environments for work and play and my preferred OS is *nix and if games were more readily available for it out of the box (instead of having to resort to Wine) I would probably use it almost exclusively. The real drawback is the amount of market share it has and how many software and hardware vendors have been willing to support it and that emulation isn't always reliable.

That said, I'm building a new PC this winter and I'm seriously thinking about just going with a Linux distro and skipping windows 8 when it comes out -- and Obsidian's announcement of a native Linux port (along with a few other factors) is helping tilt me toward that decision.

But, Hell if it sucks so much why is Valve releasing a steam client for the platform? Must be because Linux is just for work and academics right?

Edited by nikolokolus

If you are going to come out strong against something, you should at least ensure that you know the subject properly.

Linux is an open source OS, no where is it written that its an OS focus on productivity. People do use Linux for other purposes such as on their personal computer and leisure. Did you know that Steam supports Linux too? Don't you think that tells you something? If its meaningless, why would Valve support Linux?

Secondly, Unity supports Linux out of the box, which is why Obsidian was able to immediately confirm support for Linux when they decided to use Unity. They don't need to spend additional resources to make it work on Linux.

I know nothing about Linux except that the people who use it love it.

Not all of them... ;) Even if all OS were supported equally i would choose WIndows 7 over Mac OS over Linux.

I loved Linux when i was playing around with it. For a productive everyday use it's rather the opposite feeling.

It's great if you have only little money to spend on IT stuff (eg when you are a student). Then you can buy a 8 years old IBM Thinkpad and optimize the hell out of it.

Guys, honestly it is no matter which one game engine devs choose. It is the only platform to develop games, collection of features that you can use and you don't have to implement it by yourself. You can develop everything by yourself with no huge/complicated game engine, even with no game engine at all. It is only a matter of time needed to develop game functions. Game engines are frameworks, it provides you some functions like implementation of collision detection algorithms, so you don't have to do it by yourself. It makes developing faster and easier. It have no impact on the visual aspect of game - it is a job for the rendering engine and like with game engine, it is the only collection of implemented algorithms that will calculate how visual and graphic effects will be rendered. For physical effects calculation you use something called physic engine - it will calculate moves of interacted objects and so on before data will be processed through render engine. Some game engines provides integrated rendering engines some don't, that's why you can see some support only 3D content, some 2D or both. If devs chooses Unity it is more about that it have features, that they think, will be best to cover game mechanisms with reasonable amount of work needed from the devs side.

Edited by matl
  • Like 1