Update #6: Choosing the Best Tool for the Job [Linux Confirmed]

If you like test isometric view game which is made using Unity, then you should checkup Rimelands

actually that ain't no isometric game. it's just a generic 3d perspective with a flying camera like nwn2. not sure what they gonna do with unity but they should have added a nice picture showing what they're aiming for. now this whole engine debate will cripple the enthusiasm.

Isometric is a perspective and you can do it with "3d" graphics as you can do it with "2d" graphics.

• Like 1

Not sure what to make of Unity. The game can still go 2D instead of 3D, right?

I really hope so, because i've yet to see a 3D top down / isometric game that even comes close to looking as good as many 2D examples.

Yes, it can. They can make it look like this, for an instance :

600full-the-temple-of-elemental-evil%3A-a-classic-greyhawk-adventure-screenshot.jpg

TOEE still uses 2D backgrounds + 3D charachters/objects? IIRC?

Yes, it can. They can make it look like this, for an instance :

TOEE still uses 2D backgrounds + 3D charachters/objects? IIRC?

2D backgrounds is what I mean when I say 2D. I consider TOEE very much a 2D game, even if the characters/objects are 3D...

If PE ends up looking like TOEE i'll be very happy.

Edited by Piccolo

Isometric is a perspective and you can do it with "3d" graphics as you can do it with "2d" graphics.

yes, but placing the camera in a bird's view makes no real isometric perspective. it's all about orthographic projection and that's totally missing in the game you linked.

Edited by Semper

I see a bunch of top tier donators dropped their pledges or reduced them. I do not see how the graphics from Wasteland look "cartoony", but maybe that is because I have been playing too much Warcraft and Torchlight... those games really look cartoony and are great fun. Wasteland 2 is offereing a lot of options for players to set their own "grey-brown, washed out, CoD style" coloring fix. Perhaps Obsidian will do the same.

Anyway, I am encouraged by the choice and wonder if people realise how much it would cost to get linux support for the Onyx engine's middleware? Perhaps the next big title comes out they can convert Onyx to Linux, but until then Unity will be great for collaboration with Fargo and company to utilize every ounce of it.

Keep up the good work, Obsidian! Only you can change the nature of the dudebros and basement dwellers!

• Like 1
Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

This is what UNITY engine CAN do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=Wsq1oWThCLY

FFS Obsidian, LINK IT IN YOUR KS SO THAT PEOPLE WON'T BE AFRAID OF CARTOONY STUFF!

Edited by l3loodangel

I see a bunch of top tier donators dropped their pledges or reduced them. I do not see how the graphics from Wasteland look "cartoony", but maybe that is because I have been playing too much Warcraft and Torchlight... those games really look cartoony and are great fun. Wasteland 2 is offereing a lot of options for players to set their own "grey-brown, washed out, CoD style" coloring fix. Perhaps Obsidian will do the same.

Anyway, I am encouraged by the choice and wonder if people realise how much it would cost to get linux support for the Onyx engine's middleware? Perhaps the next big title comes out they can convert Onyx to Linux, but until then Unity will be great for collaboration with Fargo and company to utilize every ounce of it.

Keep up the good work, Obsidian! Only you can change the nature of the dudebros and basement dwellers!

People need to realise that graphics engines and art design are two very different things.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

That Unity is capable of 3D graphics does not in any way dictates that final game will be fully 3D. Unity is perfectly capable of 2D or any sort of combination between the two (2.5D).

Having said that - when Obsidian first announced that the engine is ready, i thought they may be using some custom, enhanced version of GemRB.

Should the Unity announcement have come out with a depiction of what they want to achieve with it? Not a tech demo, maybe just a few concept screenies?

Naa, they would probably get too many pledges... It's out of the question...

As a technical ignoramus I'd be happy to be educated, in layman's terms, about engine versus graphics.

I'm not exactly gaming tech person, but from what I gather, the "engine", as Unity is referred to, is a base code that keeps all the stuff together, ie. it does calculations which object should be where, but exact display of the object is a task for graphics engine. Unity, as a whole, governs all subsystems, like, let's say physics engine (Unity does base calculations and tell physics what needs to be calculated for collisions), pathfinding system (again, Unity tell susbstem that this objects moves from there to there, calculate optimal path for it) and graphics system (Unity tell graphics system where should be objects displayed and in what orientation).

Graphics system is just another, smaller engine, that does all calcuations specific just for graphics (ie. shaders, textures, lights, and so on), based on infomation received from main engine.

In other words, base engine (like Unity) has nothing to do with art style (cartoony or not), because it's strictly a matter of people who program the engine which way they want to go.

Edited by Dermi

Should the Unity announcement have come out with a depiction of what they want to achieve with it? Not a tech demo, maybe just a few concept screenies?

Definitely. A lot of people who don't know much about game engines (like myself) will draw all sorts of negative conclusions.

If it's too early for them to show screenshots or at least some vision of what they want the game to look like, then perhaps they should have waited a while longer before revealing their choice of engine.