Update #6: Choosing the Best Tool for the Job [Linux Confirmed]

I'm not surprised that they went with Unity, I'm curious how they're going to use 2D backgrounds (I suspected they might not) but on the whole I don't care, if the camera is fixed then for all intents and purposes it is 2D.

As for realism, one look on YouTube shows me that Unity can do the kind of stuff we want, no worries here :)

I'm not surprised that they went with Unity, I'm curious how they're going to use 2D backgrounds (I suspected they might not) but on the whole I don't care, if the camera is fixed then for all intents and purposes it is 2D.

As for realism, one look on YouTube shows me that Unity can do the kind of stuff we want, no worries here :)

If the old info is still true they are using their own renderer or heavily modify.

Edited by C2B

For those curious of what it might look like, here is the Wasteland 2 unity video:

Um, that's what Wasteland 2 look like.

PE will look like however Obsidian decides they want it to look like.

Yeah, as I understand it PE can look dramatically different, to a point it won't resemble that W2 video at all.

Yeah, as I understand it PE can look dramatically different, to a point it won't resemble that W2 video at all.

I just hope others won't get the wrong impression and be put off by what's basically an art style of other games.

in fact, in Wasteland 2, they did post screenshots of with and without post processing. With some post processing effect, they were able to adjust the saturation level of the picture and make them look more dull and grayish.

This just goes to show how flexible it is and the designers are free to utilize different features to set the tone they want. ;)

Edited by Hornet85

I don't know much about engines, but aren't graphics basically a completely seperate matter? I.e. engine doesn't directly dictate the graphics style.

You are correct.

For example both DS3 and South Park uses Obsidian's Onyx Engine.

Edited by Apatia

Exactly. Neverwinter Nights ran on Aurora and looked like this:

957635500.jpg

CDProjekt RED licensed Aurora for their game and first Witcher looked like this:

158848578.jpg

Engine is, after all, the base that every system runs on. Visual style and rendering method doesn't have that much in common with base engine.

• Like 3

Then only problem with Unity that I can see is that I don't think any "major" game was done with it. But if Obsidian programmers feel that it offers everything they need and can get the job done, no reason to doubt them.

And I'm guessing W2 and PE teams will help each other out, so that's a big bonus - I intend to play both :)

If W2's development history is anything to go by, we could see first (very early) screenshots of PE in a few months.

Much earlier. Obsidian seems to have decided on this engine even before the Kickstarter started. Fargo, very late into the Kickstarter.

Mac and Linux will still require time and effort from us to test, maintain and support but Unity gets us most of the way there. In fact, our experience with Unity so far has made us confident enough that we have decided to remove Linux support from the stretch goals and just commit to providing a Linux version right here and now!

Yes!

If you like test isometric view game which is made using Unity, then you should checkup Rimelands

actually that ain't no isometric game. it's just a generic 3d perspective with a flying camera like nwn2. not sure what they gonna do with unity but they should have added a nice picture showing what they're aiming for. now this whole engine debate will cripple the enthusiasm.

thx for the update anyway.

Edited by Semper

Also we should probably see about getting the update threads consolidated or creating an official subforum because they are going to clutter up the first page pretty quickly at this clip.

I was thinking about that earlier today, but I don't want to touch the threads without from permission admin.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Not sure what to make of Unity. The game can still go 2D instead of 3D, right?

I really hope so, because i've yet to see a 3D top down / isometric game that even comes close to looking as good as many 2D examples.

Yes, it can. They can make it look like this, for an instance :

600full-the-temple-of-elemental-evil%3A-a-classic-greyhawk-adventure-screenshot.jpg

Edited by Karranthain
  • Like 2