Unique NPC Companions?

Unique NPC Companions?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think NPC companions should be created to have classes/races/equip slots that aren't available to [charname]?

• YES - EVERY NPC Companion should have something about them that can't be created by the player
    • YES - SOME NPC Companions should have something unique, but others should be created with the same limitations as [charname]
    • YES - ONE NPC should have a unique flavour in their creation (maybe a key plot NPC), but others should be created in the same way as [charname]
    • NO - EVERY NPC in the world should be created in the same way as [charname]
    • NO - BUT NPC Companions should be allowed to have attributes (stats, skills, feats etc) that break some of the rules imposed on [charname]

...by which I mean 'unique' in that they cannot be replicated by a player in character creation.

I'm thinking of NPCs like Mort and Dak'kon in PS:T who were a different race / class / lifeform to anything we could create.

This could mean unique equipment slots, race / sub-race, class combinations or kit, attributes, feats or skills that we could never recreate for [charname].

Or it could be something as simple as (for example) giving Minsc Beserker Rage even though he's a ranger, Kivan getting a DEX score he could never have rolled or making Viconia a Drow when that racial sub-type wasn't available to players.

What do you think?

Edited by Geldridge

Hated it in PS:T.

Hated it in Dragon Age.

Hated it Mask of the Betrayer.

And I still loved all of those games.

They should be allowed to have unique aspects to them. Maybe a feat or ability that is signature for their persona. Hell, I'd even allow them to have all of their abilities be slightly, slightly different from whatever the PC gets. You can even feel free to give them personalized kits, such as the "Red Wizard of Thay", "Battlerager" or "Deathbringer" certain mods give to the appropriate characters in Baldur's Gate II (Edwin, Korgan and Sarevok, respectively).

But these things should be minor. Absolutely no revolutionary, special-snowflake insane or "wild and crazy" lets-think-outside-the-box-lol stuff. Characters can be unique without breaking the entire ruleset.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

the first for me. the basic stuff that have to do with game mechanics should be the same for everyone in the whole game (you cant have everyone use SPECIAL and add an S for Superpowers for one of the companions), but adding something unique to the companions makes them more interesting (like having a unique weapon like Dak'kon's sword or a special ability like Minsc, who could go berserk even if that was reserved for berserkers and barbarians).

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I guess for me, I kinda like the flavour that can be given to an NPC by giving them access to forbidden talents or stats (Minsc's beserker rage was a nice but of fluff that made sense for his character, even though it was forbidden by the rules).

And I can still remember how cool I thought it was in PS:T when I could recruit a flying skull (complete with biting attack!!) and a floating, burning man! Admittedly, that was a different universe setting, but still pretty cool...

I think so long as the alterations that break the game rules are done for legitimate story reasons, they add to the depth of the world and make it a bit more interesting... although I guess they have to be balanced by others who conform to the standard rules :-)

I think it's a great idea to make NPCs truly unique. If NPCs are exactly the same as a player- generated character, this will destroy replayability. I would give all NPCs modified classes not available to the player.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

This is though one.

I like idea about unique NPCs, but I also want rule set that is same for all.

"Takes time to think, at least ten seconds"

But in end game I think I would prefer if NPCs unique value comes from their writing, not from special abilities or unusual race.

• Like 1

...by which I mean 'unique' in that they cannot be replicated by a player in character creation.

I'm thinking of NPCs like Mort and Dak'kon in PS:T who were a different race / class / lifeform to anything we could create.

This could mean unique equipment slots, race / sub-race, class combinations or kit, attributes, feats or skills that we could never recreate for [charname].

Or it could be something as simple as (for example) giving Minsc Beserker Rage even though he's a ranger, Kivan getting a DEX score he could never have rolled or making Viconia a Drow when that racial sub-type wasn't available to players.

What do you think?

I think Minsc and Viconia really are more cases of those characters being made to fit the setting when all of the possibilities of the setting weren't in the context / confines of the game. Not really sure about Kivan.

But I'd like to think since the system is being built from the ground up that they would be able to create a robust system that allows for each NPC to have their own feel without breaking the rules they just created.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm not sure which of the poll options to pick. I'd say either two or five.

The diversity of the followers in Planescape made sense given the setting, but in a traditional fantasy world, it seems better to have companions that are not overly exotic (at least not all of them). This is especially true since this is our introduction to the IP. Our companions are going to be one of the key ways for us to gain insight into the nature of the world. This will work a lot easier if they are more-or-less typical members of the world. If one or two are bizarre and/or xenomorphic, that is OK for flavor, but I think it will be better to have a group that is representive of the different local cultures and backgrounds. If our companions represent the standard range of diversity in the setting, we can learn about the various viewpoints and cultures that predominate in this world through our interactions with them.

If they want to include more unusual companions in later games in the IP, I could see that working because by that time we will be more familiar with it. Sort of like how the unconventional set of companions in Mask of the Betrayer worked because we were already familiar with the Forgotten Realms setting.

Edited by eimatshya

Unique characters really add a lot to the game, both in terms of characterization and abilities. For me, more to learn about and experience is always awesome. Limiting everything to the same set of rules, unnecessarily removes opportunities for some amazing creativity.

I remember every PS:T NPC very easily compared to characters from other BI games. Some others though Minsc, Many as One, HK-47 stick out for me as well.

2, because if 1, I feel like I'm traveling with a circus gallery of the World Cultures Textbook instead of with friends I just meet along the way. However, having SOME of them be unique and non-creatable will increase the sense of size and mystery in the world.

Sword Sharpener of the Obsidian Order

(will also handle pitchforks and other sharp things)